Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to find one last little bit of play in my steering. Much improved after replacing the ruined outer tie rods, but still has about 1/4" looseness turning the wheel. Actually can feel it off-center, so I'm hoping it is not the rack. To me it feel like it's loose between the wheel and rack.

I've searched and read a lot of threads about the infamous intermediate clunk. Mine has never made any noise (knock on wood!), but can they develop slop? Or is there a rag joint between the wheel and rack input?

The only other thing would be the inner tie rod ends, but kinda doubting that. I have to get a helper to move the wheel while I check around underneath...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Nope, no rubber or composite flex discs. It's a couple of unversals and a sliding joint. The upper and lower intermediate shaft couplings are pinch bolts - you need to physically move the rubber boots out of the way and remove the bolts. Not fun. In many replacement situations you need to lower the rear of the drivetrain cradle.

That shaft was the subject of either a recall or redesign to cure the common creaks and groans in the lower steering column area - lubrication failure in the sliding joint.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub. Hard to tell what's there from the part diagrams. What about the slip joint on that shaft, can that develop wear?

I will have to look closer and feel for play. If it's the rack wearing out then that will have to wait (not to mention strange for that at 80k miles), no budget to replace that at the moment. The inner tie rods are well protected, was hoping they were okay.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Thanks Sub. Hard to tell what's there from the part diagrams. What about the slip joint on that shaft, can that develop wear?

I will have to look closer and feel for play. If it's the rack wearing out then that will have to wait (not to mention strange for that at 80k miles), no budget to replace that at the moment. The inner tie rods are well protected, was hoping they were okay.
Best thing to do is remove the left front wheel, pull the steering shaft boot up, and have a look see. Have someone in the car moving the steering wheel in the slop zone only. If the shaft is moving your problem is in the rack, as long as the rack isn't moving. If the shaft doesn't move, than the shaft, needs replacing. The shaft is cheaper and easier to do

Don

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, that's how the steering shaft is accessible! Thank you :)

I will have a look. I checked again today, it definitely has the same dead spot in all steering positions (rotated the wheel 90 degrees and checked). Are the inner tie rods ever known to wear on these models?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts