Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the intermediate shaft (steering) on my 2001 STS. The stickyness/shuddering sound is supposedly a known issue and fixed by a new intermediate shaft.

Does anyone have the part number for the NEW intermediate shaft? My dealer can't confirm it resolves and problems.

I've also been told there is a lube kit which solves the problem. Does anyone have experience with that?

If I go through the effort of removing the IS to lube it, I suspect I might as well replace it....

And...what about the IS bearing. Is that worth replacing? (Is it a common failure) - or just leave it alone?

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
There is a 98 - 04 Seville pdf parts list available for download in the Tech Tips forum (sticky at the top). I've often wondered why that sticky isn't [also] in this forum. Maybe a moderator can work some magic to make it available here as well? Sorry - can't help you out with any lube kit info.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
There was a lube kit available, but I think it was discontinued when it was discovered that the creak and groan came back quickly.

There's a thread, with pictures, on the whole procedure in here or down in suspension/steering somewhere.

The parts list says: 00-04, Shaft, intermediate steering, #26079786, $151.29 (OLD price).

·
Registered
2001 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the PDF and that's ORIGINAL RPO - if there is an upgrade IS then it won't show there. One p/n I got was 26068295 from one dealer...hoping someone can confirm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts