Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I'm working on a way to mount my Canon high-def video camera into my V, so I can record some of my track days. On previous cars (my Corvettes,) I've always just used a harness bar with integrated camera mount. But, I don't have anything like that in the V, so I have to get... creative. :)

What I've been focusing on is the center child seat anchor under the rear window. I think I can safely bolt an angled piece of steel to that anchor, and then bolt my camera to the steel. The problem is: I can't get my stubby little fingers into the plastic trim area around the anchor.

I'm trying to figure out if the trim piece can actually be removed from the rear deck, without disassembling the entire deck (to do this, the service manual says: 1)remove D-pillar trim pieces (airbags), 2)remove rear seat backs (seat belts), 2)remove rear deck trim. Too much work). I've tried bending and gently prying the plastic trim piece, but to no avail. I'm wondering if anyone's examined those pieces and might know how to easily pop one of them out of the back deck?

Yes, odd request, I know. But, I think it'll pay off. :)

Thanks.

jas

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
Funny, I was just looking at this last weekend because I wanted to run a cable to the rear deck from the trunk. Fortunately I have long bony fingers and could get them in there to figure out that it's a rather large torx head bold way down in the piece with a bar running almost right where the socket would go.

I couldn't find a torx socket that would fit down in there to get to the bolt because all mine flair out to fit a socket head and couldn't get past the bar.

So I gave up and ended up just loosening the the seats the running the wire between the seat backs and deck.

Let me know how that turns out.

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about something like the cruisecam headrest mount ? I have one that I don't ever use
That looks way cool. Can it slide over far enough such that if there's a passenger in the seat, his helmet and shoulder don't block the view?

jas

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
Hmm... When I called Friday afternoon some spots had just opened up in group 2 but I had to call twice to find that out (first person I talked to said they were all filled up).

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm... When I called Friday afternoon some spots had just opened up in group 2 but I had to call twice to find that out (first person I talked to said they were all filled up).
I may rumble in and spend the day there, anyway. I could use a day off. :) Sean, are you bringing your Z or V up?

jas

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
I may rumble in and spend the day there, anyway. I could use a day off. :) Sean, are you bringing your Z or V up?

jas
I'm bring the Z. I just replaced the radiator/oil/trans cooler so this is my shake down run before VIR at the end of the month.

Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yup, where are you located, I'm up in Herndon. You are welcome to stop by and take a look at it.
Thanks to Ron, I have a usable camera mount in my V. Turns out, he lives within a 2 minute drive from my house. :) I was concerned that the device wouldn't fit around the Recaro, but we soon proved that concern wrong. Just squishing the upper leather around the headrest post allowed me to mount the CruiseCam device to the seat.

I asked Ron how much he wanted for it, and he said to just take it. In return, he now has open access to my garage (with lift) if he needs to do work on his car. Thanks a bunch, man.

I did make a slight modification to it already. Instead of mounting the camera directly to the CruiseCam device, I bored the hole out a bit, and mounted a 3-way tripod pivot mount. Now the camera sits a little higher and can see over the dash a little bit better.

I'll get pictures and test vids up later. Right now I want to hide from NoVA humidity, and just chill (ha) out in my house. :) More later.

jas

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How was the shake? how much higher were you able to get the camera ?
Here are a couple of pictures I took this morning before the test run.

The first looks a little crooked due to how I was leaning over the front seat.

Here you can see how the CruiseCam mounts to the passenger seat.

And the extra anchor I'll need if I attend BSR's Friday at the Track with my V. They require any cameras be anchored to not only the camera mount, but also the car.

I tried recording two movies, one with the image stabilization on, and the other off. The car introduces a lot of camera shake through the seat, as was expected. Also as expected, the IS introduces too many problems to the video. So, I think I'll be running with the IS off at the track. Even though the camera still shakes a bit.

I'm not going to put the vids up because they're experimental and look like crud. I did take one of them and convert a frame into a JPEG here:

That's the POV of the camera. Too much rear-view mirror, but there's still plenty of road to see.

jas

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Is that a dog leash :)

You could always remove the rear mirror at the track, unless of course you expect to be passed, then I'm sure the two sides will be plenty!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts