Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

My wife and I are looking at the Escalade (along with the Mercedes GL 450 & Infiniti QX56). I was at my local Caddy dealer yesterday and again noticed some interior fit and finish issues- specifically along the side airbags/curtain airbags near the rear passenger doors. It looks as if the fabric on the one piece is stretched too far and it looks ragged along the top where it meets the headliner. In addition to the fabric issue, the side airbag cover itself is not always uniform and looks crooked in different vehicles. I have seen these issues on 2 Escalades and 1 Denali now. Is this a common issue? Have other owners noticed it and had the dealer rectify it?

I really like the Escalade and it is one of the finalists, but I really have an issue with putting down over 60K and getting shoddy workmanship like this.

TIA!

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
I currently have a Lexus LX470, and i am used to a perfect fit and finish. Escalade's look fine to me actually.
I have driven the GL450, and watned to purchase it, but the darn seats were too uncomfortable---the side bolsters were too pronounced and firm and were digging into my back after 10-20 minutes of drive. However, I like the driving of the GL450 better than anything out there right now. Its just those darn seats!
Same with QX56 seats, but not as bad.
Fit/finish in QX56 is really poor. Even in the new 2008 version. Take a close look. We drove two, and both had pieces literally falling off or loose.
Now, the only reason we have not sealed a deal on the escalade is this *&^% wind noise. Are you familiar with this?? If not, test drive one and see.

·
Registered
Cadillac
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have a Lexus LX470, and i am used to a perfect fit and finish. Escalade's look fine to me actually.
I have driven the GL450, and watned to purchase it, but the darn seats were too uncomfortable---the side bolsters were too pronounced and firm and were digging into my back after 10-20 minutes of drive. However, I like the driving of the GL450 better than anything out there right now. Its just those darn seats!
Same with QX56 seats, but not as bad.
Fit/finish in QX56 is really poor. Even in the new 2008 version. Take a close look. We drove two, and both had pieces literally falling off or loose.
Now, the only reason we have not sealed a deal on the escalade is this *&^% wind noise. Are you familiar with this?? If not, test drive one and see.
Funny....I actually thought the fit/finish in the QX was much better than the Escalade....I did not notice anything. I could not believe the improvements on the '08 QX to the '07.

I liked the GL...that leather stitching is gorgeous! The seats fit me fine...I actually liked the tight side bolsters and was wondering if what I was driving had the upgraded seats.

I did not notice the wind noise on the Escalade but I will look for it when my wife and I go down there.

I'll also be able to really examine every truck b/c I'll make sure that I'm able to either bring them home for the night or take a day-long test drive!

Thanks for the input...keep it coming!

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
pay really close attention to the the qx---their fit/finish is really suspect. It looks great i agree. There are also many known and documented quality issues (do google search) with their plant in the US.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
I just got an 07 Escalade, no wind noise. I would not let that (the wind noise issue) steer you away. Just be sure to drive the vehicle you are actually going to buy before signing on the dotted line. I told my dealer (and got in writing with sales mangers signature) when they did the trade with another dealer for my Lade that if it arrived and I SUBJECTIVELY did not like anything about it, the deal was off and I got my deposit back. Now admittedly, I have purchased several Cadillacs from this dealer so they knew I was serious about purchasing, but I think anyone could likely negotiate the same thing. I was worried it might have a blemish or the wind noise issue. Thankfully, it had neither.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
very good point!! i am a lexus buyer, and dont really have any decent relationships withe the cad dealers here.
I was told that if i ordered a 07, i need to put a deposit down on it and it would be mine. When i asked about something being wrong and then what...i got the 'its a new car it will all be fine'.
i have decided to wait for the 08's i think anyways. there are not many 07's left on the lot that have the packages i want (or dont want).

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I am pleased with my two 07' interiors, the fit and finish is very good, and I am very anal. I drove the GL450 Benz for several days waiting for my replacement 07' Escalade, and while I do not like the 07' Escalade seats as much as my 03' Escalade seats, the 07' Escalade seats to me were much more comfortable than the GL's seats. I have a few customers with QX's and they did not have a lot of nice things to say, I have never driven one personally. Look around there are good ones and bad ones from all the manufacturers. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts