1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CDV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!
Team,

You all have been very helpful getting my 81 Coupe running and driving! THANK YOU!

I am getting to interior refresh and need some help with color. Many parts have deteriorated in my car as it is originally from sunny Florida.
As I have sourced parts, I cant seem to find the right color. SO.... SEM to the rescue.

The dash pad, a pillar trim need to be painted to match the rest.

My problem is finding the right color. The car is a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. It has velour tan"ISH" interior. The dash pad, steering wheel and trim "looks" brown. Not sure what the right color is.

Can anyone please help?

Does anyone know the exact colors? I can't find anything on my car with interior codes.

The pics attached are what the interior of my car should look like. As seen in the picture the dash pad and the pillar trim are different colors.

Car Vehicle Steering part Car seat cover Motor vehicle

·
Registered
96 FWB
4,097 Posts
SEM is the cat's pyjamas, but Dupli-Color Vinyl and Upholstery cans from the parts houses did quite well for the son's project Monte with velour inside. A straigtforward search will bring up each maker's color option cards for about every model year. And, if the chained crossover color cards on their rack is sparse, then online may have more detailed crossover info. One thing I did if lacking the 'perfect' listed paint to use, simply get cans of several near matches and spray the 'insides' of stuff like those A-pillars, or even scraps of other parts in the car to get close. Then just be prepared to paint the whole 'thing' [like the wheel center or st. column] if not perfect match. And I'm sure you already know; 2 hrs. disassembly - crocus cloth - tape/mask.... and 5 minutes shooting. Show Before n After pics eh.

·
Registered
96 FWB
4,097 Posts
Wow! 'Favorite'-ed, thanks. Got one for any '79-'85 Rivs?

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz, 1983 Sedan deVille
1,763 Posts
Sorry-nothing for Buick. Would be interesting to see it though, the Riv had a lot of cool options during that run-some things that weren't even available on Cadillacs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The color codes for your Caddy should be on the data plate under the hood on the firewall.
Look for TR which means TRIM, and you find some numbers, or combination of numbers.
If there is no data plate,and I don't know if GM went with a RPO decal/sticker that year, it will also have all the codes on it. I have attached a web page that shows interior and exterior colors with paint code numbers that perhaps you can decipher to get the right color you need.
Check here: 1981 Cadillac Paint Charts and Color Codes
Andrew in NH

·
Registered
1981 CDV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Team,
I have looked through this data and can not quite find the dash pad color. I "think" 64CN and 64BN might be the colors. Does anyone have a car with these colors? Does it look similar?

I also can not find these colors in SEM or Auto Color catalogs...... Any thoughts? I know I can find a local automotive paint store to mix. BUT... It gets expensive and want to make sure I have the right colors.

I have purchased a few SEM cans to no avail. Camel is not it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Team,
I have looked through this data and can not quite find the dash pad color. I "think" 64CN and 64BN might be the colors. Does anyone have a car with these colors? Does it look similar?

I also can not find these colors in SEM or Auto Color catalogs...... Any thoughts? I know I can find a local automotive paint store to mix. BUT... It gets expensive and want to make sure I have the right colors.

I have purchased a few SEM cans to no avail. Camel is not it
I would get friendly with the folks at your local AP store that mixes paint. What you are specifically looking for is interior dye. DuPont makes it in as small as a pint container. This can only be sprayed with a spray gun, unless the store can mix it in a spray bomb. Either way it's not cheap.
They have color chip books from DuPont, PPG, etc and you can compare your coded numbers with the color in the interior chip book. You'll know if it's right.
A paint jobber worth his salt can guide you through the process and offer some other options too.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
918 Posts
I have been using SEM for the best part of 25 years. Great product, I have used it on leather, hard plastic, vinyl, carpet and whatever else I needed to match the color. I have used off the shelf colors, and custom mixed colors. I have sent in to SEM, samples that I wanted matched and the results were perfect.

This chart may be some help:

I usually buy it from Vinyl Pro in Atlanta. For a 16 oz custom mix, it's about $28 to $30. You also need a cleaner and prep solvent. The SEM is not cheap, but is the best!

Vinyl Pro: Vinyl Pro

Good Luck

Tom

·
Registered
1981 CDV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys,
I can not find the right color for my dash. I have spent over $120.00 on sem paint. Can anyone help me here? I have not visited Vinyl Pro yet. BUT.... I have painted other interior pieces in the past and feel confident this is easy enough. PLEASE help me find the right color. I have looked at the interior color codes. I just cant find the right interior trim code on my car. Even using the interior color code chart, I can't find the right SEM color.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
918 Posts
1. Get a sample of the seat material or plastic trim, whatever it is you're trying to match. 2. Call up VinylPro or SEM, they will help you. You will have to send in the sample. They will match it with one of those digital machines. If you try to use off of the shelf SEM colors, don't expect it to match. If you're trying to get it to complement the color, off of the shelf could work. I know of one match of Medium Adriatic Blue (94 to 96 GM's) with off of the shelf, thanks to member "drmenard".

My 1994 Caprice Wagon, has 3 colors of brown for the interior. The were custom mixes, light, medium, and dark brown. They all matched a brown in the interior, but not the door panels, so there were actually 4. I sent in a sample, they matched it perfectly. You will waste time and money didling around trying to match with off of the shelf. Can't help you anymore than that.

Tom

·
Registered
99 ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
748 Posts
Good Morning!
Team,

You all have been very helpful getting my 81 Coupe running and driving! THANK YOU!

I am getting to interior refresh and need some help with color. Many parts have deteriorated in my car as it is originally from sunny Florida.
As I have sourced parts, I cant seem to find the right color. SO.... SEM to the rescue.

The dash pad, a pillar trim need to be painted to match the rest.

My problem is finding the right color. The car is a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. It has velour tan"ISH" interior. The dash pad, steering wheel and trim "looks" brown. Not sure what the right color is.

Can anyone please help?

Does anyone know the exact colors? I can't find anything on my car with interior codes.

The pics attached are what the interior of my car should look like. As seen in the picture the dash pad and the pillar trim are different colors.

View attachment 621585
I had 1978 Caprice with the same velour interior and seats and it was called Camel on window sticker now Cadillac may of called color different. That crushed velour look on seat insert was interior upgrade on Caprice to have seat inserts to look like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts