Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to clean the 1/2 inch of carbon that was resting under the butterfly valve of my throttle body and clean off some of the carbon on the inside of the tubes. The carbon will require me to remove the TB to clean properly but thats no biggie.

I started it this morning and as it usually revs then comes back it idle to warm up, it REALLY revved this morning.

When i'm driving, rather than being at minimum idle, it almost feels like its at 1000 or 1250rpm. It won't return to normal idle until I come to a complete stop.

Am I correct in assuming something's out of adjustment here? The computer has set no codes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More symptoms:

1. Transmission shifts up WAY to early.
2. If I drop it in Neutral after accelerating to my speed, the engine will continue to rev until i've stopped! So it does this regardless of the gear its in.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
So did you do the work and mess up some setting(s), or are you saying that you are GOING TO do the work and this idle issue just happened to pop up before you did the work?
Idle is controlled via airflow. Allow a little more air into the engine and the idle goes up. Is it possible that there is an air leak somewhere, or maybe the TPS and/or ISC are out of adjustment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2dfx said:
Decided to clean the 1/2 inch of carbon that was resting under the butterfly valve of my throttle body and clean off some of the carbon on the inside of the tubes. The carbon will require me to remove the TB to clean properly but thats no biggie.

I started it this morning and as it usually revs then comes back it idle to warm up, it REALLY revved this morning.

When i'm driving, rather than being at minimum idle, it almost feels like its at 1000 or 1250rpm. It won't return to normal idle until I come to a complete stop.

Am I correct in assuming something's out of adjustment here? The computer has set no codes.
You need to do the idle learn after you clean the TB. If you are going to pull the TB to clean the EGR passages you will need a new TB gasket. I suggest you pull the EGR valve too. Then after to ream the EGR stacks you'll need a canister vacuum to suck all the carbon out of the passages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ga_caddy