Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share an experience I just had with my '95 Fleetwood with you all.
About a month or so ago, I noticed the A/C in my car seemed a little lacking. I generally don't use the A/C but this particular day it was hot in the afternoon when I was going home from work so I turned it on (I usually have the system on but in "ECON" mode). Within a minute or so, I noticed the interior temp wasn't really coming down so when I got home I took a look under the hood and found the compressor working just fine and the A/C lines nice and cold. At this point, I figured the problem was the air mix door and just parked the car. I've driven it once or twice since then but since it's been cooler out, the problem didn't seem to bother me. Yesterday, I had to pull the Caddy out for a drive to the gym because I had my Jeep apart in the garage. I noticed the car was a little chilly for my whole drive, so when I got back home, I took a look under the dash to see what was going on. I noticed the air mix door drive motor shaft was sitting fairly close to the mid point of it's rotation (there are index marks on the motor), and when I changed the temp setting on the ECC head, it didn't change. So I tapped on the motor but nothing happened. The end of the shaft is slotted so I slipped a wide bladed screwdriver into it and gave it a slight twist as I moved the temp settings back and fourth from 60 to 90. All of a sudden, the motor started to work. I cycled the temp back and fourth several times and it worked just fine. Got up this morning and drove the car to work and I had great heat all the way to work. I'm guessing the motor just happened jam for some reason. I won't jump and replace it right now but I will watch it.
Anyways, I just figured I'd mention this just in case someone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Hmm....interesting.

The CC in both our '93 FWB and '92 Roadmaste still seem A-ok, but this might be a good thing to remember "just in case".

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
The older systems that used the little DC motor to control the air door used to wipe out the worm gear. Sometimes you could hear them sitting there clicking trying to make the electronics happy.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
Good info, thanks. It will get filed in the back of my head 'for future use'. Knock on wood won't need it.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts