Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah I know this has been covered up and down, but the circumstances in this case make me curious. (1996 Deville) N*

Last night, I was driving, slippery outside--so there was use of the abs system. After a somewhat short stop, the brake pedal went nearly to the floor. I got a fluid warning, and it was low, of course. I limped it home, and looked under the car. I could not find a leak. I filled the brake reservoir, and pushed on the pedal several times...even tested it. Apparently, it will stop the car now...abs still works, fluid does not go down, but the pedal stll sinks nearly to the floor..

Is this the master cylinder syndrome--going suddenly like that, perhaps?

EDIT: I should mention that the pedal does not sink gradually, but goes right down and grabs at the end. I've read something about the parking brake. It was recently used after non-use, if that's relevant.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Nothing to do with parking brake as it's mechanical and you have a fluid loss issue. The fluid went somewhere... Bet if you dig you find the leak.

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And you are right...bad moment for me, sorry folks hehe. It was mixing in with the meltd snow...how embarassing :p

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Brake leaks can be so small or hidden can be missed unless really looking. Others puke like crazy. At least you know what's leaking now.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
I had that happen to my 1993 Deville years back. Turns out it was an internal problem in the master cylinder. Fluid was leaking past one of the internal pistons and the braking system was not getting the proper fluid pressure. In my case when you would step on the brake, the pedal would go all the way to the floor and then if you released it you would get normal breaking the second time around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts