Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Interested in the Lyriq

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  mkhuffman 
#1 ·
Hello,

Signed up after coming across this community in search for more info on the upcoming Lyriq EV. It will be my very first electric car and hope to learn all I can before U.S. order books open.

#4 ·
I think it looks amazing, especially the interior. I don't like the Tesla bare-bones interiors and if GM and others start creating real EV's like the Lyric I think Tesla is going to have some problems. I just hope the price is reasonable. If the Lyric starts at $70K or more it will be a flop. It needs to be accessible by the middle-class luxury buyer like myself. Not the top end earners with tons of cash to burn. They will wait for their beloved Mercedes EV to come out before they buy the Caddy. The Lyric needs to hit the streets and see some volume otherwise this will be Cadillac's final countdown. They've proven they can build great performing cars that nobody wants to buy. They need this to be an SUV everyone wants to own. I hope it's affordable cause I'd trade my XT5 for the Lyric in a heartbeat.

#8 ·
I also think their overall body design might be a flop out of the gate. It seems to have that long, large wagon look like first gen SRX had. I had a first gen SRX, and loved that SUV, it was really great and luxurious fully loaded, but too many thought it looked like a large wagon and not enough like an SUV. This seems to be the case for the Lyric as well. I like the design, but people want an SUV shape, not a wagon. I guess if the wow factor is large enough people may embrace it. But waiting until 2022, taking too long to bring these EV's to market. And they showcase all these cool "firsts". Well they may not be first anything if others come along before 2022, which of course some will. Caddy needs to put the gas down on these initiatives. Or maybe don't preview them so far out as the fizzle is taken out of the mix when the wait to acquire is beyond a reasonable point.

#9 ·
I'm concerned about the 23" wheels. Given where I live, I rely on winter / ice tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks. As far as I can tell, they are not available in that size. Does anyone know if GM is working with Bridgestone or another tire company to have that size available by fall/winter 2022?

#10 ·
I’m a car guy, I love style, I love performance, I love luxury and I love high tech, I own a pretty eclectic collection of gas and electric vehicles, and I want the Lyric! I hope GM is smart enough to deliver all of these on this vehicle. It’s really their last chance to impress and deliver a truly world class vehicle. Anything less that what BMW and Mercedes and Porsche will release in two years, and Cadillac will have sadly wasted its last chance. Unless GM decides to build a great car, better than the critics and fans alike expect, it’s over for Cadillac as a prestigious brand.

#11 ·
Not interested in any electric car.

I get many big headaches from an EV (range, finding chargers, charge time, lower range in winter, range loss for heating/AC etc).

But no benefits from having an EV: same or lower travel speed, same traffic, same parking space etc.

#12 ·
Not interested in any electric car.

I get many big headaches from an EV (range, finding chargers, charge time, lower range in winter, range loss for heating/AC etc).

But no benefits from having an EV: same or lower travel speed, same traffic, same parking space etc.
And you really needed to post this random, uninformed rant in the Lyriq forum for some reason? There are better threads for misinformed posts like this.

Based on your off-base comments, you've obviously never driven a good EV. Perhaps you drove a 2011 Nissan Leaf and thought that was as good as it was going to get? Or maybe you just tend to read a lot of anti-EV propaganda and have never actually sat in a real EV before? (I suspect the latter.)

If you're constantly on the road driving 500+ miles in a day, then the charging times for EVs might be a little inconvenient at times. But most smart people take a lunch or bathroom break while charging, just as many people do after getting gas – no difference. And newer cars charge crazy fast, so that excuse is slowly becoming moot.

Gas cars also get lower range in winter and lose range when you run the heating or AC. That's not some special problem with EVs; all vehicles use more energy in the winter and when air conditioning is on. It's like car fires – gas cars burst into flames at a much higher rate than electric cars, but the news doesn't report urgent breaking news when a gas car burns to the ground (because we're all used to that by now). You don't think about the loss of range in a gas car in winter because you're used to it; but because EVs are newer, everything is negatively amplified.

The benefits of EVs for most people are never having to stop at a smelly, dangerous gas station ever again for fuel; not having your garage stink of exhaust fumes; being able to precondition the car's temperature in your garage without having to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning; having access to carpool lanes (in some states); having instant torque when accelerating; knowing your electric car can beat most gas cars off the line (unless you drive a 2011 Nissan Leaf); having a silent cabin without constant engine noise encroaching on your zen; and knowing you're depriving Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, and Qatar of oil profits that would otherwise be funneled to state-sponsored terrorism. Also, if one has solar panels, you don't even have to pay the electric utility for charging your car since you can get all your energy from the sun!

Finally, these days, finding a charging station is only a little more challenging than finding a gas station. And if the infrastructure package passess Congress, it will eventually add an additional half-million charging stations to the ones that already exist. So another excuse that will eventually become a moot concern.

#15 ·
I'm very sorry you'll be enjoying your polluting, smelly, noisy, gear-shifting, terrorism-supporting, obsolete gas guzzler on the other side of history. I'm glad you enjoy what you drive and can do it for 500+ miles with only a 5-minute break. You must be a vehicular Hercules. I'm sorry that finding a charging station would be so difficult for you; those maps can be a real pain in the butt when you're still using the Thomas Guide.

#17 ·
@Blastpheme:

What you call [polluting, smelly, noisy, gear-shifting, terrorism-supporting, obsolete gas guzzler on the other side of history] is CIVILIZATION!

People used to live in a pristine environment, and human population was 1 million and the average life expectancy was 25 years.

Then the smelly and noise civilization happened, the population jumped to 7.5 billion and the average life expectancy to 75.

#23 ·
It puzzles me how people think that the EV's will solve all the worlds problems. You will still need to use fossil fuels to produce electricity. If you cover the nation with wind and solar generation, you will not have enough energy to meet our needs. The best explanation of our situation is a cartoon of a coal plant generating power feeding an EV that is plugged in.

The current grids are stretched as it is. All it takes is a little bobble in weather to make power short on supply.

I like the Lyrig a lot. It's styling makes me want one bad. There are lots of advantages.

Some of the advantages will go away in time. One is the EV's don't pay road tax through gasoline. I think that loop hole will go away as soon as politicians find a way to close it.

#24 ·
It puzzles me how people think that the EV's will solve all the worlds problems. You will still need to use fossil fuels to produce electricity. If you cover the nation with wind and solar generation, you will not have enough energy to meet our needs. The best explanation of our situation is a cartoon of a coal plant generating power feeding an EV that is plugged in.

The current grids are stretched as it is. All it takes is a little bobble in weather to make power short on supply.

I like the Lyrig a lot. It's styling makes me want one bad. There are lots of advantages.

Some of the advantages will go away in time. One is the EV's don't pay road tax through gasoline. I think that loop hole will go away as soon as politicians find a way to close it.
In Virginia, if you have a high efficiency ICE car, or a BEV, you pay an extra tax every year. That really pisses me off, but of course they think our money is their money, so they take it.

Anyway, I think BEVs are better than ICE vehicles in every way except two: refueling and range. Battery technology improvement is the key to mass market adoption, and they are very close to the threshold. 300 miles of range is OK, and good for most in-town use cases, but it is not equivalent to an ICE car on the highway. Highway range for the Lyriq is likely to be closer to 200 miles, especially between charges. I think the benefits of driving a BEV are worth the pain of stopping every 200 miles, but most people are not prepared and will not agree.

That said, the Lyriq looks awesome and I am very interested. However, they have not provided key information such as will it have features that are standard on ICE cars? Like will it have a tow hitch option? Opening pano roof? Ventilated seats? Sure, it looks cool, and the inside looks comfortable, but what about car features? Does anyone know?

I ordered my first BEV a few months ago, the Mustang Mach-E. (It has not been manufactured or delivered yet, but that is another annoying story. "Chip shortage.") It does not have the things I mentioned above, which typically are features I require for a car, but because it is so cool in other ways, I went ahead with it. Not everyone will compromise their expectations like I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.