Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with superchargers (or those just interested...), this may be something to consider in case you experience knock and can't figure out why...

Check, on a regular basis (in my opinion), that your intercooler "system" is completely filled with water/coolant. Mine was short about 1 gallon and all my knock went away once I re-filled the system with water/coolant.

This was brought about by feeling the outlet hose from the S/C. It was warmer than I would otherwise expect (warm yes, near hand-burning, no).

On an unrelated note, can someone explain to me why Magna chargers don't have a reservoir for the intercooler? It baffles me to this day that you fill those directly via the hose...

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not sure, but I can't imagine that I would miss coolant leaking off my car...

In any case, I will be monitoring this closely, & will continue checking for leaks.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Luna. said:
No, not sure, but I can't imagine that I would miss coolant leaking off my car...

In any case, I will be monitoring this closely, & will continue checking for leaks.
Problem is that you might just miss it.

It probably only comes out when it is real hot and boils off when it hits anything hot enough. Ergo no puddles.

Pop the hood next time you go out and do the smell test for antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keeksv said:
Have you tried bleeding the air out of the SC circuit?
Aye--that is all good to go.

If it's low again in a month or so, then I will have strong evidence that I have a leak. I doubt it, but we shall see.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
I thought that the SC circuit was tied into the regular coolant circuit thru the stock coolant reservior....

Were you just adding coolant to the regular reservior tank?

Maybe your radiator is leaking....:hmm:

And Heavy is right....you should smell the coolant leak even if you can't see it.

ew

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
I think you have to have a leak to allow the air to get in there.A gallon low=you must have a leak in there or it's always been low.I have bled mine 3 times over 10,000 miles,no air except on the first bleed.Did you discover this when you tried to bleed the system after you felt the hose?I would think a gallon low you wouldn't have any circulation at all.I want to check mine but I don't want to bleed it after.Way to cold in the garage for any tinkering.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the intercooler system is seperate from the regular coolant circuit.

You are absolutely right that it wasn't flowing at all, as it was so low. It's flowing now though.

I fear it may have been that way from minute one. I don't, nor have I ever (save for like 1 day after the charger was installed), smelled any coolant in the engine compartment or anywhere else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I found a different problem with mine. The hose was kinked around the airbox, I think the flow was near zero. No amount of playing got it unkinked, so I put in a 90 degree plastic elbow.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Wow,thats scary.After your install were you instructed to bleed the system after 500 miles and no wide open throttle conditions?Thats a lot of heat sitting on top of the nock sensors from the git go.This is good kinda,I have always wondered how the car would react to a intercooler leak.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rp64ctsv said:
After your install were you instructed to bleed the system after 500 miles and no wide open throttle conditions?
No, I wasn't.

rp64ctsv said:
Thats a lot of heat sitting on top of the nock sensors from the git go.
Aye.

Keep in mind, however, that I don't beat the piss out of my car though. Yeah, I drive fast, but in all honesty, I'm actually very gentle with it. Keep that in mind if trying to form any "conclusion" about what a theoretical intercooler leak might do.

·
Registered
No GET-RAG or GM products
637 Posts
The Maggie intercooler coolant is completely seperate from the V's normal coolant. In fact, on mine, I filled the Maggie intercooler system with green coolant. That way, if'n there was a leak, I would immediately know which system it was from. BTW - There is a reservoir for the maggie, it's under the intercooler radiator but not fillable other than through the intercooler hose, the electric coolant pump is connected to it. I believe the intercooler coolant capacity is slightly less than 2 gallons

I hope your intercooler is not leaking under the Maggie, ie - in the SC intake manifold - that would be bad.

:hmm:

GT

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
The intercooler system is it's own "closed loop" arrangement and has no connection with engine cooling.

If you didn't "bleed" it after you had it on for a while, OOPS!
You didn't kill anything though.

The only room I can find for a coolant tank would be behind the facia.

The engine compartment just doesn't have much room left.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, there is a little "storage" compartment for the intercooler fluid, but I guess I don't consider that a "reservoir" per se, as that is below the other hoses. Wouldn't you want the reservoir near or at its highest point to facilitate flow into the system (in other words, how would you add fluid to the system from down there)? Perhaps I'm missing something, but under the radiator isn't exactly the best spot in my mind...

And I considered room as well and I think that something could be worked out. There are a few locations; it doesn't have to stand very high. :D

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Those intercoolers are hard to get full.They gave up to quick I bet,you should have been instructed to bleed the system.And I would continue to bleed the system for awhile.After reading this,I smack a critter, get a hole,keep driving,just take it easy.I just thought the blower generated more heat than they do.Not trying to put you to more work,I would maybe dump the whole system and put exactly the amount the instructions say to.You have your instructions?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Luna, that is the reservoir...below the I/C radiator (silver, runs the length of the raditor).. I guess they put it there due to space limitations (?)... so you're stuck bleed from the hoses.

The Vette kit has a tank on top of the battery... so a coolant leak shorts out the whole electrical system :crying2:

As an aside, the Ford Lightning's had a recall on their intercoolers... it would crack and leak coolant straight into the cylinders! It's amazing how much fluid an engine can take without hydrolocking :bonkers:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I pulled the bleeder off, added a 1/8 pipe nipple and rigged it to a narrow funnel. I filled the funnel 1/2 way and gave the hoses an occasional squeeze. Its 100% topped off.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Just checked two things.

5,000 miles or so since I last checked and the I/C is still basically perfectly topped off (took less than .5 oz to top off cold).

Maggie doesn't hit the stb - nor the stb the hood - in my V :hmm:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts