Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an intercooler bleed on my ATSV about 1 month ago at my local Cadillac service department and today I pulled a log for my tuner and he comes back with this response:

“it looks like your cooling loop needs to be bleed, your MATs are very high and not coming down like they should indicating theres air in the system and the pumps not running.”

I’m frustrated and worried rn..
Possible the intercooler bleed wasn’t done right or they forgot to do something else in the process? I’m looking at an expensive fix?

.. I’m Trying to cover all my bases before I had back to Cadillac for this fix

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank yo

· Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan
20 Posts
Very likely it wasn’t done correctly at the dealership or they bled it but just not completely. Even a small air bubble that circulates to the pump or to the top of the system may cause it to shut off. It isn’t very hard to do yourself however so I’d recommend the DIY method.

· Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan
20 Posts
Hey Logan , this time I’m definitely going to have them do it and and do it right. Since I paid for it and DIY next time.
driving right now is safe though?
Yes you should be just fine to drive it as long as you’re not tracking the car or running it excessively hard.
Chances of the dealer doing it right the second time around are also not that great still but it’s definitely worth a shot from a money perspective lol. If you end up going the DIY approach, there are a couple of youtube videos with great demonstration.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you should be just fine to drive it as long as you’re not tracking the car or running it excessively hard.
Chances of the dealer doing it right the second time around are also not that great still but it’s definitely worth a shot from a money perspective lol. If you end up going the DIY approach, there are a couple of youtube videos with great demonstration.
Definitely can’t let the dealership get away w this . It’s the principle haha and DIY for sure next time, lesson learned. Somethings are worth the time and effort and this being it.
Thanks Logan u have a great rest of the week bro.

· Registered
ATS-V
805 Posts
If the coolant is low enough for long enough, it will often kill the intercooler pump. This happened to me. If they botched the procedure, any air in there can nix the pump, or if there was air in there before the dealership did the work it could have killed the pump, and the pump could be dead even if you have a perfectly bled and filled system. Luckily the pumps are cheap ($155?), if you are out of warranty.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the coolant is low enough for long enough, it will often kill the intercooler pump. This happened to me. If they botched the procedure, any air in there can nix the pump, or if there was air in there before the dealership did the work it could have killed the pump, and the pump could be dead even if you have a perfectly bled and filled system. Luckily the pumps are cheap ($155?), if you are out of warranty.
Thanks SEATS , Is there any way to know if the pump is dead or there’s air in there? .
also I was also looking into the Tapout Tuning fell and bleed kit any thoughts on that ?

· Registered
52 Posts
Thanks SEATS , Is there any way to know if the pump is dead or there’s air in there? .
also I was also looking into the Tapout Tuning fell and bleed kit any thoughts on that ?
Tapout fill and bleed kit is the simplest and most economical way to bleed the intercooler.

The easiest way to tell if the intercooler pump is working or not is to either install the kit and cycle the pump or use HPtuners software. If you’re not familiar with HPtuners I highly recommend you do some research into it. Scott at Tapout can answer any questions about why the software is so beneficial to our vehicles, especially when modified. As you’re finding out, most dealerships don’t know what they’re doing with our cars and you’ll be even luckier to find a repair shop that you could trust. An expert like Scott at Tapout will be able to diagnose most problems by simply reviewing a HPtuners scan of your vehicle without ever seeing your car in person. All you gotta do is email him with your datalog scan.

I went to the dealer once for a general inspection and specifically asked them to check my intercooler system. They did the inspection and said I was good to go. I asked them about my intercooler system and if the pump was working. They actually told me the vehicle doesn’t have an intercooler pump lol. I showed them I could purchase one on the internet and also showed them a picture of where the pump was located in the engine bay. I was told they would look at the car again. At that point they told me the pump was working and the intercooler system was “full”. Considering the system is sealed and there’s no way to tell if it’s “full” by simply looking at it….I gladly drove my car out of there without them performing any work to it. If you ever have a problem with your vehicle you’re going to want HPtuners and the ability to send a file to an expert tuner. If/when you have a problem, the money you’ll spend on the dongle will save you hours, days maybe even weeks of labor and diagnostic time at the dealer. Additionally Tapout has a shop to perform upgrades and repairs. If they are too far from you they have recommended shops on their website that should be able to help you out if you’re close to them.

· Registered
52 Posts
Is that an ad? I don't see an answer to the question anywhere above.
Below is directly copied and pasted from the question post and my answer to that same post.

Question: Is there any way to know if the pump is dead or there’s air in there?
Answer: The system is sealed and there’s no way to tell if it’s “full” by simply looking at it

Question: I was also looking into the Tapout Tuning fell and bleed kit any thoughts on that ?
Answer: Tapout fill and bleed kit is the simplest and most economical way to bleed the intercooler. The easiest way to tell if the intercooler pump is working or not is to either install the kit and cycle the pump or use HPtuners software.
Apologies for a lengthy post I guess…Not sure why providing a personal experience that appears to directly pertain to what his concerns are is a problem. Also are you referring to an advertisement of HPtuners or Tapout? Not sure why recommending HPtuners to resolve issues with his vehicle a dealer may not easily be able to do is a problem. Not sure why this is a problem either: recommending a well known company that has full capabilities with a shop and employees to resolve his issue, as well as, a website that publicly lists additional resources/shops that may be close to the vehicle owner that could also assist with the issue. Tapout assisted me with my intercooler concerns and they were helpful. If someone is looking for assistance I have no problem sharing my experience if it can help the person. Additionally he is obviously considering the Tapout bleed kit. Seemed logical to reference Tapout since he’s expressed interest in the company and may even be spending money there.

If I say this would it resolve any advertising concerns: Schmidty is an expert ATS V tuner as well and would surely assist with diagnosing Hptuner logs.

· Registered
ATS-V
805 Posts
A good way to visually confirm the pump is working is by replacing one of the black, braided coolant lines that go into the intercooler with a clear one. This way, you can see the coolant flowing and verify if there are air bubbles in the system.

The Tapout kit includes that clear hose, as well as a button you can wire to the local fuse box that allows you to activate the pump (if you don't have a tune that keeps it running continuously). Both have been immensely useful for me.

I also had the fill and bleed work performed by a dealership, and they did a great job. That being said, you can get 95% of the way there with the Tapout kit, so most just use that. My system was recently bleed and filled by Tapout after some work they did on the car and I can't see any air in my system at all.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tapout fill and bleed kit is the simplest and most economical way to bleed the intercooler.

The easiest way to tell if the intercooler pump is working or not is to either install the kit and cycle the pump or use HPtuners software. If you’re not familiar with HPtuners I highly recommend you do some research into it. Scott at Tapout can answer any questions about why the software is so beneficial to our vehicles, especially when modified. As you’re finding out, most dealerships don’t know what they’re doing with our cars and you’ll be even luckier to find a repair shop that you could trust. An expert like Scott at Tapout will be able to diagnose most problems by simply reviewing a HPtuners scan of your vehicle without ever seeing your car in person. All you gotta do is email him with your datalog scan.

I went to the dealer once for a general inspection and specifically asked them to check my intercooler system. They did the inspection and said I was good to go. I asked them about my intercooler system and if the pump was working. They actually told me the vehicle doesn’t have an intercooler pump lol. I showed them I could purchase one on the internet and also showed them a picture of where the pump was located in the engine bay. I was told they would look at the car again. At that point they told me the pump was working and the intercooler system was “full”. Considering the system is sealed and there’s no way to tell if it’s “full” by simply looking at it….I gladly drove my car out of there without them performing any work to it. If you ever have a problem with your vehicle you’re going to want HPtuners and the ability to send a file to an expert tuner. If/when you have a problem, the money you’ll spend on the dongle will save you hours, days maybe even weeks of labor and diagnostic time at the dealer. Additionally Tapout has a shop to perform upgrades and repairs. If they are too far from you they have recommended shops on their website that should be able to help you out if you’re close to them.
Thanks Steamer, Just ordered TO fill and bleed kit. It seems simple and straight forward and a great permanent solution. Some things are better to do on your own and working on the intercooler is definitely one of them.

· Registered
66 Posts
Tapout's intercooler bleed kit can be largely replicated with a funnel, hose and 3/8" dowel rod...though no denying the kit is well thought out and a DIY easy button.

Biggest benefit to the kit IMO is the switch to turn on the intercooler pump. I'd have bought one of those due to the simplification of DIY (I have to bleed my 2018 with the engine running) but shipping costs for that particular small part are kinda high IMO.

Not a dig at Scott & co, just skews the value proposition a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts