Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

So when I was installing my sub and amp, I saw on the wiring diagram for the bose AMP that there are a couple of cellular wires. Are these inputs? If so, could I use them to integrate my Blackberry into the CTS?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, those should be already connected to the OnStar box. The are what let you hear the cellular and OnStar output through the cars speakers. If you don't use OnStar or the cars cell phone features, I'm sure you can tap into that for speaker output from your blackberry. You may also be able to tap into the microphone inputs to the VCIM (OnStar box) to have it link completely hands-free.

I'm not really familiar with the Blackberry's but I thought they were text messaging devices only. Do they have voice output like a cell phone? The input to the Bose amp is not a cell phone itself. The OnStar box is, though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the blackberry is a phone/email device. I don't use onstar, but are you talking about the rearview mirror when you say the "Onstar Box"? I'd like to just be able to hook my phone into the system as it is...I wish the CTS had bluetooth.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but I don't think this is easily done. I'm not saying it is impossible but it won't be a simple wire splice. If you notice, the OnStar phone deactivates 10 seconds or so after you press the phone button if it doesn't hear any command. The button also is useless if you disconnect the VCIM (Onstar "box"). If you try to disconnect the mic and audio input from the amp and press the phone button, the radio will display phone but you will not hear anything through the speakers. OnStar will not be able to receive voice commands so it will deactivate after 10 seconds. With the installation of a proper Class II Serial interface, this may be possible. To my knowledge, nothing of this sort has been developed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so what about taking the phone button and onstar system out of the process. If I could tap the mic and the input line, theoretically i could just wire them together into a headset jack and use the phone right? This would disable onstar and the phone button, but my phone would work, right?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
That's the only way that I know of using the mic . . . . if you don't use OnStar, you simply unplug it. This leaves the microphone wires, and the inputs to the Bose amp free. What I don't know is what keys the Bose amp to silence the stereo when the phone is in use. The OnStar box is on the Class 2 bus. I have to agree with MBai in that a class 2 adapter would be required, but I don't know of any for this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...ok so what about enabling the XM channel and running it through that? I don't currently have factory XM, would this be possible?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Doubtful, but if you do find a way, post your results. You're the pathfinder for this now! No one else has tried to do this.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
few things (and I am just passing by)

For factory XM, buy the radiosandmore.com kit... Works just like the factory from what I have heard...

The cell wires carry the onstar signal into the amp... The problem is that the onstar module sends a Class II message to the amp telling it to mute the radio (and onstar logo shows up on the nav if you have it)...

There is a kit coming out in a few months that will let you integrate your bluetooth cellphone into the cts-v as God intended (and I think you will get to keep your onstar functionality)...

Stay tuned...

Reed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts