Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the standard K&N FIPK kit on the V. I like it but it is rather a crappy "isolation" of the HOT engine compartment air. The crappy mounting plate really does nothing to isolate compartment air from any cold air lucky enough to make its way in.

I stumbled a Volant intake on EBAY. Any experience with this? In looking at it I can only visualize 2 things.

1) it looks like it isolates the compartment air and pulls from outside - good
2) it looks like the factory box so is it any more free-flowing and filter capacity?

:confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vola...TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQsalenotsupported

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner gave me his uninstalled K&N FIPK and I put it on shortly thereafter and was just curious.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
He probably didn't put it on because he didn't want to start a CEL after cai install Thread.I have a Volant,not impressed with the lid on.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
I also have the Volant and again, not impressed with lid fitment either. However, it does make the engine bay looked well balanced and it also has a large filter for plenty of surface area. The Volant pulls air from the front as well as the driver side of the box. If you ever do anything other than bolt ons, you will need more air than the stock box can deliver. ie FI.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Me and my Volant spent a bunch of quality time with mister dremmel.

·
Registered
2006 Blacked Out CTS-V
176 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
I bought a Volant when they first came out. Had to go to Home Depot and get some weather stripping to try to seal the lid. VERY unimpressed.

Sold it on eBay a few months later. :D

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Stock airbox feeds from the fender and the front, just like the Volant. Waste of money, IMO.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Its not necessarily were it pulls the air in from, its the surface area of the filter that also plays a big role in performance. As I said before, if you are going FI or big cubes, the bigger filter will give you less restriction than the stock filter. For a basically stock car, I can see it being useless. For a heavily modded car, a stock box could easily become a restriction.

·
Registered
05 CTS V
600 Posts
cut up your stock box and place a K & N panel filter. Pull all the junk from the fender well and snorkel and it will breathe freeely. see pic

save your money!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts