Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 V Sport
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the intake valve cleaning through the throttle body?

What product did you use?

At what mileage?

Any issues/suggestions?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
169 Posts
I’ve done it a few times, about every 20,000 miles, and I have no idea if it helps or not. Seafoam will make as much smoke in our LF3 as it does in any other engine. That can make you feel good or bad depending upon your sensibilities. I like CRC products because their MAF cleaner definitely works good. Their turbo/intake cleaner has a fixed straw in the can. That’s important if you use the vacuum line in the rear side of the intake manifold. That vacuum is very strong it would likely suck a regular straw right out of the cans spray nozzle. I’ve also used the Mopar top engine cleaner and a product by MOC. But like I say who knows if it really works or if it’s necessary. I’ve never noticed an immediate difference in the way the engine ran and I do try to keep tract of knock retard & misfires before after the treatment. I am confident though that it doesn’t hurt.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
900 Posts
I have a *theory* that I am actually tracking engine efficiency loss over time, as a byproduct of my OCD record-keeping habits. :) If I'm correct, my LF3 has lost approximately 1% efficiency over the last 63,000 miles. Of course, this theorized loss could be due to a combination of positive and negative factors, but I would think intake tract deposits could certainly be contributory on the negative side. In any case, if I'm correct that the engine has only suffered a 1% loss of everyday-driving efficiency, I'm not inclined to shoot anything down the intake at this point, never mind physical disassembly and cleaning. BTW, no... it's not simply a matter of watching fuel mileage averages, but it's related. :)

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
92 Posts
I've used the CRC Intake and Turbo cleaner a few times after speaking with a couple of their engineers via e-mail and on the phone. They were extremely helpful.
My main concern was the fact that our throttle body is buried under the intake plenum and intercooler; I wanted to be sure that the spray wasn't going to cause issues damaging, fouling or melting any sensors or components downstream that wouldn't be found in the typical turbo engine. (for example, the "weather station" I had mentioned in a previous post)

I have used the Mopar top engine cleaner on my G8 GT with excellent results but was afraid to use something that wasn't "Turbo friendly" on the VSport as I hadn't done any homework to see if that product is used at the FCA dealers on their turbocharged engines.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
169 Posts
That’s a good question, about how did you apply it. I believe the instructions suggest that you squirt it in upstream of the turbo charger. If you do that it’s definitely going to get caught up in the intercooler fins and a bunch of turbo charger parts before that. And then it hits the throttlebody which will show signs of film and a little bit of gooey stuff on the throttle plate.If you apply it through the front intake manifold vacuum line (the main PCV line) then it goes in below the throttlebody and directly into the chamber/plenum that feeds each intake port. Possible problem doing it that way is that probably not all ports get an equal amount of the cleaner.
To the original question of screwing up throttlbody sensors, the only thing below the intercooler is the mechanical throttlebody and the electronic actuator that moves the throttle plate. I think the acuator is sealed up pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s a good question, about how did you apply it. I believe the instructions suggest that you squirt it in upstream of the turbo charger. If you do that it’s definitely going to get caught up in the intercooler fins and a bunch of turbo charger parts before that. And then it hits the throttlebody which will show signs of film and a little bit of gooey stuff on the throttle plate.If you apply it through the front intake manifold vacuum line (the main PCV line) then it goes in below the throttlebody and directly into the chamber/plenum that feeds each intake port. Possible problem doing it that way is that probably not all ports get an equal amount of the cleaner.
To the original question of screwing up throttlbody sensors, the only thing below the intercooler is the mechanical throttlebody and the electronic actuator that moves the throttle plate. I think the acuator is sealed up pretty good.
The intercooler is in the intake manifold in the vsport to help reduce lag so the throttle body is in front of the intercooler.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
169 Posts
The throttlebody sits in between and down wind of the two intercooler radiators. You can’t get to the throttlebody without first going through The intercooler coolers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The throttlebody sits in between and down wind of the two intercooler radiators. You can’t get to the throttlebody without first going through The intercooler coolers.
Oops, you're right. Apparently I haven't spent enough time under the hood!

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
169 Posts
Right, there’s alot going on under the hood. I remember thinking that I’d never be able to change spark plugs through that mess of hoses and other things I’d never seen before. Stare at it long enough and it gets clearer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts