Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref my earlier thread concerning 307 coolant loss, I have now completed the replacement of the intake manifold gasket.

First let me comment about myself, and my approach to this job: I am an honorably retired member of the Geezer generation. My 1988 Brougham is a Collector Car to me, with 52,000 original miles in very good overall condition. I generally put in about 4 good hours per day, 6 days a week, working on the car. I should mention that in working on a collector car, such as this, every part, down to the last nut, bolt and washer is cleaned up to original condition. So it is not just a simple repair job, but more time than might be expected of a professional technician is spent in getting everything back to proper shape - no battling against time in a flat-rate situation.

When I started this job, it was leaking coolant from the intake manifold, engine oil from the valve covers, PS fluid from the HP PS hose, and ATF from the trans pan gasket and the side seal where the manual selection shaft goes thru the side of the trans.

The first thing that I did was to send a specimen of engine oil and ATF to an oil analysis lab. The report came back that both fluids were in good condition, with no contamination with things such as coolant, etc. Being assured that the engine and trans were basically OK except for the aforementioned leaks, I started ripping into it. I must say - I have owned more than 90 vehicles, and I have always done my own maintenance, but this Olds 307 takes the prize for poor accessibilty. I have never seen so many vacuum tubes, sensors, and hoses blocking access to just about every part on the engine. That eats up a lot of time, to say the least. Fortunately, the intake manifold is made of a light alloy, which greatly facilitated the R&R by hand.

It has taken me approximately a month, and this is what I have accomplished :

*Replaced the intake manifold gasket.

*Replaced silicone sealant on valve covers.

*Replaced PS HP hose.

*Replaced trans filter, gasket, & side seal. This is described in a separate thread "Poor Man's Tranny Flush".

I went to the Cadillac dealer, NAPA, and O'Reilly Auto Parts to find the parts that I needed. The dealer located the various parts at parts depots around the country, and would order them if I desired (at prices almost 4X what I paid). NAPA could not even find listings for some of the parts. I was pleasantly surprized to find that O'Reilly had all the parts and gaskets in stock. They stock high quality parts, such as Felpro gaskets. My total outlay for parts was under $100. Everything fit properly, and the vehicle is now back in running condition, and has been out for a couple extended test drives. Of course, I also replaced all fluids and filters, etc. as part of the job.

I hope this job will last as long as the original - 17 years...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm approaching "geezer" status myself at 48 years young. Say, keep up the posts. I have 307s in both my Oldsmobiles and enjoy reading in this forum about Caddys. I'd like to own one, someday.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts