Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week my dad told me my car's leaking something new. I get it up on a hoist tonight at work and one of the mechanics gives it a quick once over. He notices an oil leak that's starting at the lower intake gasket. I know this is a common problem on a lot of GM motors, but I didn't think this was common on the 4.9, am I correct? I have no intention to replace them, as they're quite costly and I don't feel like spending that kinda money. Plus the oil leak isn't significant....maybe a quart every 3,000 miles. No point in dealing with it.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
It's fairly common to all 4.x engines, and for that matter, my 3400 V-6 Olds had to have them done at 43k. Do you use the sealant tabs Chad? Just curious. They won't do any good once a leak has developed, but can prevent them from starting. As long as you don't get oil mixing with coolant or vice versa, you should be okay for awhile, just check both the rad and dipstick often.

·
Registered
76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)
668 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, unless you notice the coolant bottle going down.

Are you sure he meant the intake gaskets and not the valve cover gaskets? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intake gasket mates to the head under the valve cover on the 4.9...so I wonder what the mechanic was looking at...unless it was leaking out the side near the distributor, or by the accessory drive.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was looking at it from under the car, from the rear. Yes, I've used coolant tabs as long as I've known about them. I think I've put in three or four differnt sets of the GM made ones.
-When I first heard the importance of them
-When I had to put a new water pump in last March
-When I had my coolant flushed last October
-And lastly, when my coolant hose blew in June.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts