Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question..... would it matter if i put an intake in before i install a dual exhaust. I have the 3.2l, with a stock single exhaust. Will it injure any other components of the engine or anywhere if I were to install one before? I could get an intake for christmas...but wondering if its worth it, if i dont have a dual on the car yet... What are all of your suggestions??

THANKS!! :worship:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
jonnyd said:
I have a question..... would it matter if i put an intake in before i install a dual exhaust. I have the 3.2l, with a stock single exhaust. Will it injure any other components of the engine or anywhere if I were to install one before? I could get an intake for christmas...but wondering if its worth it, if i dont have a dual on the car yet... What are all of your suggestions?? THANKS!! :worship:
Jonny,
It doesn't matter. Of course having both is best. The Volant doesn't show but a Corsa or Borla would display some nice chrome tips. $250 vs $1000 to consider too. So whatcha gonna do?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RobertCTS said:
Jonny,
It doesn't matter. Of course having both is best. The Volant doesn't show but a Corsa or Borla would display some nice chrome tips. $250 vs $1000 to consider too. So whatcha gonna do?
Well...which should I do first...I am saving my $$ right now for the exhaust but in the mean time I could get the intake as a christmas present...should I install the intake before the exhaust? or what would be the BEST option for me??

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
jonnyd said:
Well...which should I do first...I am saving my $$ right now for the exhaust but in the mean time I could get the intake as a christmas present...should I install the intake before the exhaust? or what would be the BEST option for me??
Get the Volant for XMas:) and continue to save for your Corsa/Borla exhaust. Technically it doesn't matter which comes first.:yup:

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
usualy you do intake first because it is cheaper. you wont hurt anything.
the intake goes in or off in about 30 min, no problem if you have to take it for a dealer visit. if they question the exhaust you can just say its the optional exhaust from gm. it wont hurt the car anyway, if they give you more crap, just say "i remember reading something about the magnuss and moss warranty act" they shoud leave you alone.

the intake alone should be good for 5 -9 hp, then the exhaust another 11-15 or so.
in this case its additive, you are getting more and cooler air to the intake and the exahust is being opened up for further gain, so its additonal in this instance. mostcases its the "diminishing returns" thing.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Kael said:
if they question the exhaust you can just say its the optional exhaust from gm. it wont hurt the car anyway, if they give you more crap, just say "i remember reading something about the magnuss and moss warranty act" they shoud leave you alone.
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. And just mentioning the Act will do nothing. All this act says is that Manufacturers can't deny warranty claims without providing proof through testing that the part you installed caused problems with the rest of the system. In order to do this, they will take your car, and you will have to provide your rental. Anything from cat-back generally will not void warranty, as theres an unwritten rule that post-cat mods do no damage. But cat work will void warranty always, as this messes with emissions. An exhuast will be fine. You may get trouble with intake tho, its best to talk to you dealer about this.

With that said, I'd get the air intake first. It's cheaper and the exhuasts' gains will be wasted until you get the engine to breathe more. Not to mention, if you worry about the sound and look, it may take some planning to get the right combo of exhuast mods, etc.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. And just mentioning the Act will do nothing. All this act says is that Manufacturers can't deny warranty claims without providing proof through testing that the part you installed caused problems with the rest of the system. In order to do this, they will take your car, and you will have to provide your rental. Anything from cat-back generally will not void warranty, as theres an unwritten rule that post-cat mods do no damage. But cat work will void warranty always, as this messes with emissions. An exhuast will be fine. You may get trouble with intake tho, its best to talk to you dealer about this.

With that said, I'd get the air intake first. It's cheaper and the exhuasts' gains will be wasted until you get the engine to breathe more. Not to mention, if you worry about the sound and look, it may take some planning to get the right combo of exhuast mods, etc.
I wished I'd saved a copy. General Motors issued a Bulletin to All of their dealerships. It says anything added that increases Horsepower or Torque will void your warranty. They are instructed not to add anything that is is not a GM product like, Mr Goodwrench, ACDelco etc. I don't know how close that is enforced by the dealership but I'm sure it varies among dealerships.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RobertCTS said:
I don't know how close that is enforced by the dealership but I'm sure it varies among dealerships.
You're right Rob - it does vary by dealerships - my dealership recommended and installed my Volant and there are no issues with my warranty.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me tell you....working wih dealerships is the biggest problem...I called 2 other dealerships around me and stated about the exhaust... now the other 2 said that if i bought the exhaust through them and that they installed it that they would work their hardest to have it fit in with the warranty...then we go to my dealership and i ask if they warranty borla... and their response is "NO" they only suggest corsa and B&B... that is some horses**t grrrrrrso aggrivating............

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i know, i'm jealous of pj's dealer. luckily with mine, though, it;s kinda like, we're going to pretend we didn't see that. that didn't care and i was able to get all the warranty work i needed, after the volant and borla installed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts