Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wut up yall im new member here. I just bought a 98 deville and drives very nice i was wondering if yall could help me out on this one. I got a cd player pioneer model 6400 that i took out from the old car and now i wanna put it in the caddy i got everything thats needed harness and all that. i hooked all the wires and everything but im not getting any power at all it wont turn on. I went to best buy to get some advise and one of the guys told me that i might need to bypass the amp in order for the cd player to work whats that?? He told me they'll do it for $150 i was wondering if you guys can help me out i aint paying $150 to get it installed i could get an amp with that help me out here fellas thanks is advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
goto the trunk and look at the speakers you should see that theres an nmp hooked up to the bottom of the speaker. You can put a bypass wire to go directly to the speaker from there. Same deal with the front speakers. I did that on mines and it still sounds great. Wish i could of gotten the amp working though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greencaddy98 said:
Wut up yall im new member here. I just bought a 98 deville and drives very nice i was wondering if yall could help me out on this one. I got a cd player pioneer model 6400 that i took out from the old car and now i wanna put it in the caddy i got everything thats needed harness and all that. i hooked all the wires and everything but im not getting any power at all it wont turn on. I went to best buy to get some advise and one of the guys told me that i might need to bypass the amp in order for the cd player to work whats that?? He told me they'll do it for $150 i was wondering if you guys can help me out i aint paying $150 to get it installed i could get an amp with that help me out here fellas thanks is advance
First off you shouldn't have to bypass the amp...the problem is in the deck. Have you checked to make sure all your connections are properly routed and securely fastened? Check the fuse in the deck itself and the fuse in the fuse box... What wire harness are you using for that? Does it go to the rear of the car in the trunk where the tuner is.or does it just plug into the factory wires behind the deck?You will have to bypass the tuner in that car..I posted a few times to you with no response yet so i will say you can go to www.installer.com for the correct harness that you need..You can also see very easily if it is the deck itself, If the deck is not in the car you can put the wires to the battery posts to see if it works then..if it does then we have a few other problems.. Hope this helps some

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anothercaddiowner said:
First off you shouldn't have to bypass the amp...the problem is in the deck. Have you checked to make sure all your connections are properly routed and securely fastened? Check the fuse in the deck itself and the fuse in the fuse box... What wire harness are you using for that? Does it go to the rear of the car in the trunk where the tuner is.or does it just plug into the factory wires behind the deck?You will have to bypass the tuner in that car..I posted a few times to you with no response yet so i will say you can go to www.installer.com for the correct harness that you need..You can also see very easily if it is the deck itself, If the deck is not in the car you can put the wires to the battery posts to see if it works then..if it does then we have a few other problems.. Hope this helps some
the wire harness i have plugs right into the factory one behind the deck thats about it. Is there any way u could pm me anothercaddiowner so we can talk about this more thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greencaddy98 said:
the wire harness i have plugs right into the factory one behind the deck thats about it. Is there any way u could pm me anothercaddiowner so we can talk about this more thanks.
Ok...let's start with this. Your power antenna is in the rear of the car, Now in the wiring that you have behind your deck is there a antenna lead? I would presume there isn't..assuming that, how did you hook up your antenna to the stereo? The tuner is in the trunk behind the power antenna, you will need a wiring harness to bypass that and intergrate your factory amps. It seems hard but it really isn't. go to www.installer.com and find there 1-800 number and ask them to give you metra's 1-800 number..Ask them what you will need as far as the harness goes. I think i told you to go there and that i only saw a harness for a 94-95 Deville...Call and check with them to see if it is the same peice..i believe it is part number 70-1858 or something like that( not far off if i am wrong). THat harness will take care of some problems that you may be facing..If you went a bought the same size speakers that are in there then it should be a direct replacement, i am not anticipating any problems with that swap..Make sure the deck is in good working order..Hope that helps out some

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anothercaddiowner said:
Ok...let's start with this. Your power antenna is in the rear of the car, Now in the wiring that you have behind your deck is there a antenna lead? I would presume there isn't..assuming that, how did you hook up your antenna to the stereo? The tuner is in the trunk behind the power antenna, you will need a wiring harness to bypass that and intergrate your factory amps. It seems hard but it really isn't. go to www.installer.com and find there 1-800 number and ask them to give you metra's 1-800 number..Ask them what you will need as far as the harness goes. I think i told you to go there and that i only saw a harness for a 94-95 Deville...Call and check with them to see if it is the same peice..i believe it is part number 70-1858 or something like that( not far off if i am wrong). THat harness will take care of some problems that you may be facing..If you went a bought the same size speakers that are in there then it should be a direct replacement, i am not anticipating any problems with that swap..Make sure the deck is in good working order..Hope that helps out some
Thanks it did help out alot so what you saying is that i gotta get a harness to bypass the tunner, the ones i saw there are for 94-95 devilles only and they're like $88 so there's no need to re-wire the car if i get that harness right? Now what if i cant afford it right can the job be done still i will have to re-wire it right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greencaddy98 said:
Thanks it did help out alot so what you saying is that i gotta get a harness to bypass the tunner, the ones i saw there are for 94-95 devilles only and they're like $88 so there's no need to re-wire the car if i get that harness right? Now what if i cant afford it right can the job be done still i will have to re-wire it right?
Yes you will have to re-wire the whole thing..when i say rewire the whole system I MEAN RE-WIRE THE WHOLE SYSTEM..That means that you will have to redo the speakers, amps and every thing.. If you are doing it yourself GOOD LUCK!! if you plan on taking it to a shop expect to pay in excess of 100 dollars and day with out your car. I would spend the 88 dollars instead...Here is installer.com's number Toll Free - 877-200-ROCS, ask them if that is the harness that you can use even though it shows up to a 95 deville it still maybe the correct one to use.Here is Metra's number and tech support e-mail address for further information 800.253.TECH - [email protected]
They can give you more indepth as to what you can and can't use..when calling them and they give you the part numbers...Call your local Circuit City store and have them order it for you..Metra doesn't sell to the public...Circuit City can get it for you maybe even at a cheaper price then installer.com..I needed that harness for mine and was only charged 46.00 i also got the dash kit P/N 99-2004 which was 17.99..It pays do do some research. More then likely when talking with the folks at Circuit City they will tell you that they don't even show that part in there books...just tell them whatever and order it anyway LMAO that is what i had to do.I kinda made them feel stupid.. Anyway Good luck with however you decide to go with it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anothercaddiowner said:
Yes you will have to re-wire the whole thing..when i say rewire the whole system I MEAN RE-WIRE THE WHOLE SYSTEM..That means that you will have to redo the speakers, amps and every thing.. If you are doing it yourself GOOD LUCK!! if you plan on taking it to a shop expect to pay in excess of 100 dollars and day with out your car. I would spend the 88 dollars instead...Here is installer.com's number Toll Free - 877-200-ROCS, ask them if that is the harness that you can use even though it shows up to a 95 deville it still maybe the correct one to use.Here is Metra's number and tech support e-mail address for further information 800.253.TECH - [email protected]
They can give you more indepth as to what you can and can't use..when calling them and they give you the part numbers...Call your local Circuit City store and have them order it for you..Metra doesn't sell to the public...Circuit City can get it for you maybe even at a cheaper price then installer.com..I needed that harness for mine and was only charged 46.00 i also got the dash kit P/N 99-2004 which was 17.99..It pays do do some research. More then likely when talking with the folks at Circuit City they will tell you that they don't even show that part in there books...just tell them whatever and order it anyway LMAO that is what i had to do.I kinda made them feel stupid.. Anyway Good luck with however you decide to go with it...
Alright thanks man i guess im going to get that harness

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wiring

Hi. I also have a 98 deville and am looking to install a cd player. Anyone have the wiring schematic for the tuner? the stereo? both? I would really appreciate it. What does the tuner do? are you saying that the tape deck in the car doesn't tune the radio right there? the antenna is hooked up to the back of the car and there is a separate box to get the radio stations remotely?
Thanks for any info u can give

Jon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Wiring

I have a 99 deville. I recently installed an OEM radio/cd player and an AMP which was required. It took a lot of time and had to rewire the entire system. The simplest way is to buy a cd changer off of ebay. Just plug and play. The base models without the cd player had no AMP. The radio/cd players came with the 11 speaker active audio system and an AMP. Or if you don't care about losing the steering wheel controls just go to any stereo shop and install an aftermarket unit. I highly advise the cd changer.

j4337 said:
Hi. I also have a 98 deville and am looking to install a cd player. Anyone have the wiring schematic for the tuner? the stereo? both? I would really appreciate it. What does the tuner do? are you saying that the tape deck in the car doesn't tune the radio right there? the antenna is hooked up to the back of the car and there is a separate box to get the radio stations remotely?
Thanks for any info u can give

Jon

·
Registered
549 Posts
@kreeger: I have a base model 1999 Deville with just am/fm-cass. If I buy an OEM cd changer, is it plug and play? Thanks!
-Lelo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes if you have all original equipment. To be sure check that you have a Source Button on your radio and a 10 pin connector back by your antenna in the trunk. There are many delco cd changers just make sure it works on your model.

Leloz said:
@kreeger: I have a base model 1999 Deville with just am/fm-cass. If I buy an OEM cd changer, is it plug and play? Thanks!
-Lelo

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Leloz said:

Leloz, how did the OEM CD changer work out?
I bought one (its not from GM but basically its the GM OEM type)
Mine's been working fine with no problems after plug-n-play.......
although recently I am having battery charge problems (probably totally unrelated)

Just wondering if you encountered any side effects or problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
kreeger said:
Yes if you have all original equipment. To be sure check that you have a Source Button on your radio and a 10 pin connector back by your antenna in the trunk. There are many delco cd changers just make sure it works on your model.
New to the forum...I have a 97 DV. I looked for my CD Changer harness in the trunk but did not find it. I do have a harness that the previous owner told me was for towing (assuming he's right). Where exactly can I locate this harness. I've seen "behind the liner" just not sure which liner.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
hotwheels said:
New to the forum...I have a 97 DV. I looked for my CD Changer harness in the trunk but did not find it. I do have a harness that the previous owner told me was for towing (assuming he's right). Where exactly can I locate this harness. I've seen "behind the liner" just not sure which liner.

thanks,
looking into the trunk, on your right should be the power antenna. the harness is tied into the wiring rigght below the antenna. remove one or two of the plastic 'screw' fasteners along the top right of the liner and you can peel it back to see it. about a foot long bundle of wires with a flat connector on the end

1 - 19 of 19 Posts