Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered TPMS sensors to install in the Cadillac accessory polished aluminum wheels I just got, but I don't know if there is a trick to installing them. I'm guessing the valve stem portion goes through the hole and a nut is placed on the outside, but there is a required gasket kit also. I can't find the proper torque spec for the nut. Has anyone done this that can offer some tips? Maybe it's self-explanatory when you see the parts.... Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
164 Posts
If you bought the sensors brand new then there will be no need for a kit, as the rubber grommet would be new. But install is pretty basic assuming you do not have tires already mounted. If you do just go to a tire shop to have them installed, unless you you cand easily break down beads. The torque spec on the nut I believe is 40 lb/in.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I have ordered TPMS sensors to install in the Cadillac accessory polished aluminum wheels I just got, but I don't know if there is a trick to installing them. I'm guessing the valve stem portion goes through the hole and a nut is placed on the outside, but there is a required gasket kit also. I can't find the proper torque spec for the nut. Has anyone done this that can offer some tips? Maybe it's self-explanatory when you see the parts.... Thanks!
Pretty straight forward install
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tps-torq.html
Just don't over torque them

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts guy said I needed the grommet kit, too. Oh, well. Those were only about $2.50 apiece, so I didn't lose much. I really appreciate the input and the help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
One hint for you. When I did mine I torqued them to the spec. I had 2 that leaked. They were too tight although 40in/lbs is not a lot.

I loosened them and they sealed. I kept loosening until they leaked again and hand set them in the middle. No leaky now.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
One hint for you. When I did mine I torqued them to the spec. I had 2 that leaked. They were too tight although 40in/lbs is not a lot.

I loosened them and they sealed. I kept loosening until they leaked again and hand set them in the middle. No leaky now.
Did you have to tighten/loosen, then put the tire back on, and repeat until you had it right? That seems like a major PITA.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
The nut you tighten is on the outside, so once the tires are on you don't have to take them back off. Make sure you noticed that the torque spec is INCH pounds, not foot pounds (seen that one go wrong before).

Best thing to do is put everything together and air up the tires, then spray a little soapy water on the valve stem. If it bubbles up, you've got a leak.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly enough, when the sensors and grommets arrived today, I see they don't include any kind of retaining nut or washer. I emailed the supplier (new GM parts, not used from eBay) and I'll be interested to see what they say. No nuts or washers are pictured in the parts diagram.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts