Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SF 113k | '97 SLS (blown hg @154k - sold)
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an Alpine CDA-9851, pac interface (SWI-ALP) to keep my steering wheel controls, and metra 992005 dash kit. I also already have a old school punch 500, 2 15" MTX 5000 subs, 1.0 punch cap.

I like to do installs myself but i've never messed with a caddy, from reading around it seems a little more complicated than other cars ive done. Just wondering what the best place to run my amp kit to the trunk/battery(i had to drill a hold through my 94 grand am to get to the bat.) would be and if there are documents that tell you how to take out the stock HU/disassemble the dash etc...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh ill probably also at least swap out the 6x9's so if anyone has any tips on that please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
97CadillacPimpin said:
oh ill probably also at least swap out the 6x9's so if anyone has any tips on that please let me know. Thanks!
Take them out, don't replace them. They only work as woofers, leaving the holes will improve the bass from your new system.

bubbarivi, thanks for helping!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a hard time believing they only work as woofers, what is your reasoning behind this? I have some alpine 3ways lyin around I want to throw in there, and usually I've heard without quality components your system is going to sound subpar.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Having a hard time, are you? I will try to find a diagram reference (I am not sure where did I get it from) for the crossover's setpoints. In the mean time, do a simple test: listen to the 6x9... and you will realize why the speaker only has the woofer cone, and no mid/high frec cones...

In a quality-oriented system, the main source of sound should be the front of the car. The rear speakers are mostly for "filling". Using 3-way speakers in the rear deck is a no-no for sound quality.

There have been a couple of members who have followed the same "leave the holes" advice and have been very satisfied with the results in bass performance.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Do you have Bose or not if you dont have Bose its pretty straight forward i think (im not sure but i know Bose runs though the computer yours may idk) you just need the harness connector and everything you already have GL

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
D148L0 said:
Having a hard time, are you? I will try to find a diagram reference (I am not sure where did I get it from) for the crossover's setpoints. In the mean time, do a simple test: listen to the 6x9... and you will realize why the speaker only has the woofer cone, and no mid/high frec cones...

In a quality-oriented system, the main source of sound should be the front of the car. The rear speakers are mostly for "filling". Using 3-way speakers in the rear deck is a no-no for sound quality.

There have been a couple of members who have followed the same "leave the holes" advice and have been very satisfied with the results in bass performance.
I'm runnin pioneer 3way 6x9's in my car and they sound a HE77 of a lot better than the stock ones. Sure I have to have the fader turned pretty far to the back because it takes more power to run them, but thats not that hard on me. I changed them because they would bog down any time it had to play both bass and treble at the same time.

I would understand that it would muffel the sound from those 15's, but the 15's are just bass. you need treble too. I would try to find (or make) a box to fit all four of your speakers. I think that would sound kick A$$.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno I just wanna have a balanced, clean sounding system. Don't want overpounding bass and need trebel in the back too. Maybe i'll try both ways. About putting my 15s with those components in the same box that would probably blow the 6x9s out of the box or just blow the speakers period, but i do have seperate boxes that came with the 6x9s that i could attach to the sealed woofer box :stirpot:

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Its this simple i have a stock bose system in my 97 etc my rear 6x9s are used for just bass but i hooked up a low level adapter ran power lines and conected up my amp and am running my 3 JL Audio 12w6's very happyly. If you just want something clean and balanced for the money, Get a pair of pioneer 6x9s put them int the back, a set of infinity (they make better smaller speakers they can handel more power and sound better i put pioneer 5 1/4s in my moms Deville and at high base they kinda poped so i replaced them with infinitys HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!) speakers for your front. run rcas and power wires for your subs in the back connect it all up, and im sure youll be very happy GL

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
I think Diablo has it down. Not like you would be noticing the 6x9's with something real in the trunk, especially when you take out the 6x9's and are letting it flow into the cab!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Thanks Terrible.

Guys, please re read my post. I said "if your goal is sound quality then blah blah blah".
If what you want is a loud system, then by all means, put as many speakers as you want. Not that you will notice any difference, and nothing I say will change that.

The most important thing is for you to be happy with your systems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
hey, are you guys with complete systems with sub and amps and all running with the stock alternator?

any dimming of the lights?

how many amps are the stock alternators on sevilles?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts