Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2004 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One of my headlights burned out the other day and instead of replacing it I'm thinking about just upgrading to new HID lights linked above. Its a 2004 Deville and I'm curious about how difficult these will be to replace. Does anyone have any experience replacing the entire headlight module with something similar to the one linked above?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
You would be far better off to replace the existing miserable 3000K halogens with a pair (or quad, depending on bulb use) of high output 4100K halogens. PIAA, Sylvania, GE all make decent replacements. Also, use a headlamp lens polishing kit from CCP, Meguiar's, 3M, Mother's.

HIDs are the low beam bulbs - Plenty of wiring and ballast location to do - but whatever floats your boat.

colour-temperature.gif

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
my concern would be blinding oncoming traffic -

HID's - and LED's for that matter - are used in SPECIALLY DESIGNED headlight housings -
the HID and LED bulbs have a completely different FOCAL POINT than our original halogen bulbs -

unless these replacement headlights have been completely re-designed - which I doubt -
you will be VERY disappointed in the end result -
YES - the lights WILL be brighter - BUT - because the light is scattered -
you'll end up with LESS usable light on the pavement -
AND blinding oncoming cars -

do everyone a favor - and save your money - just get a good set of HALOGEN bulbs -

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
645 Posts
^^^^ yeah that ^^^^ I tried HID lamps in my 04, didn't like it, the light didn't shine right, and the DRL did not work.
I took it all out and replaced them with a set of 6k halogen bulbs, they are plenty bright enough.

·
2004 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
^^^^ yeah that ^^^^ I tried HID lamps in my 04, didn't like it, the light didn't shine right, and the DRL did not work.
I took it all out and replaced them with a set of 6k halogen bulbs, they are plenty bright enough.
I think I wanna go that route. No point in spending to much money on it. What brand bulbs did you use and how difficult were they to install? Thanks.

I just need something slightly better than what came stock that are easy to install.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
645 Posts
They were a no-name brand I got on amazon, for a fraction of the price of a name brand. To install them you have to remove the headlight buckets, there are 3 bolts 2, on top 1 below, take the dust covers off the back to get at the bulbs. While you have them out it would be a good time to change the markers and directional bulbs as well.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Look in Amazon - for your correct bulb number - in an upscale 4100K - 5000K halogen. PIAA is one hell of a good bulb (I use the Intense White 4100K here in the country/farm areas) but not cheap. Sylvania and GE make upscale replacement bulbs. Parts stores.

Google "cadillac forums 2003 2004 2005 deville headlamp bulb replacement".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts