Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm considering Sirius radio. I have no intentions of trying to fab up the Sirius unit for the newer cars. I just want to install a purchased Sirius system in my 01 DTS.

Has anyone done this? What routes did you use for the wiring, antenna and other. I'm not sure whats entailed in this so any advice / comments are welcome.

Thanks
ADL

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
I just did this in my 2002 Seville and it works well. I bought the SIR-GM1 unit and I had to make my own harness out of the one that comes with it and some wire from the electronics store. I'm not sure if your car can do Sirius from the head unit. Mine wasn't listed as compatible but I found somewhere on the internet saying that in 2001 the Seville and DeVilles were the first cars to have the XM options. If you have something about XM in your factory manual, chances are your radio is capable.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the SAT or XM option in my car. I think that started in 2002 :(

I just did this in my 2002 Seville and it works well. I bought the SIR-GM1 unit and I had to make my own harness out of the one that comes with it and some wire from the electronics store. I'm not sure if your car can do Sirius from the head unit. Mine wasn't listed as compatible but I found somewhere on the internet saying that in 2001 the Seville and DeVilles were the first cars to have the XM options. If you have something about XM in your factory manual, chances are your radio is capable.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
I just did a post in this forum showing how I installed it. It shouldn't take more than an hour to do. Does your radio have a "PTY" button? Mine had that button and when I pressed it, the display said "No SAT Radio Installed", meaning that the car was aware that it is possible.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sir. I have

AM FM1 FM2
CD Blank WX

I'll assume that the blank space between CD and WX is where the button goes?

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 Seville STS
122 Posts
Yaemish, I have a 2002 STS with the factory non-navigation HU. When I press Band button I get FM1, FM2, AM and Weather options. My manual says XM was an option that year. Is there a direct plug and play type XM/sirus unit that the HU will recognise or is there more to it than that. The car has cd in dash and 6 disk changer in center console. Also tape player in dash.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooops maybe I should have specified that I have NAV? No band button, just all the options displayed on the screen.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
The 2002 with non-nav works for both Sirius and XM. Look in the Audio and security sections for each. I'm not really sure about the Nav unit though, sorry.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SO it looks like Best Buy will do the install for $71 AND there's a $75 instant rebate with the purchase of the system and any accessory.

Can't beat that. I talked to the installer to see what kind of guy he was and to tell him I'm going to be more than picky about the way things get done.

He seemed like he knows what he's doing, so as soon as I can get an appointment I'm going to do this.

NOW the question is where to mount the Starmate 4. Anyone have any good clever solutions for that?

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 Seville STS
122 Posts
If you are going with the complete system from sirus, just put the display where it looks good to you. Most people use a windshield mount, but you can stick it where you like.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the thing is I'm having a difficult time finding that place. There's not really a lot of room with the console. I'm actually considering above the rear-view mirror.

Has anyone done this before or do you all have 02 + cars with the Sat ready head units. I want it to look nice and mostly permanent.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got this thing with all the do dads to install. My install appointment is set for Mon at 6.

I'm going to use the glass mount over the right side of the rear-view mirror. Seems to be a good no obstructive place.

So this leads me to a question. How does that little overhead console thing come apart? I'm going to need some power from inside there.

The guy is going to work with me to venture into this semi-custom install. I talked to him briefly about this overhead mount idea and he wasn't to sure so I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible when I go there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts