Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went out and looked. Seems that the license plate light housing might be the same size as the old reverse camera housing. Thinking of taking one out and putting in the old camera housing to fix the alignment. In hindsight, I should have 3D printed a new mirror camera housing that would fit in that spot and left the old reverse camera in the original spot so I wouldn’t have to cut sheet metal. You would still need to buy the mirror camera and housing because they come together but you could remove the camera and put it in the 3D printed housing.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
Cool! What’s the washer jet for? I don’t get it? To clean the camera? I highly doubt without something to wipe it off that it would work very well. If anything it would leave moisture in the lens obscuring the view like what happens when it rains.
Actually works really well , especially when it rains because all the mist settles down on the tailgate ! If you wax it no water will stay on it !

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
I just went out and looked. Seems that the license plate light housing might be the same size as the old reverse camera housing. Thinking of taking one out and putting in the old camera housing to fix the alignment. In hindsight, I should have 3D printed a new mirror camera housing that would fit in that spot and left the old reverse camera in the original spot so I wouldn’t have to cut sheet metal. You would still need to buy the mirror camera and housing because they come together but you could remove the camera and put it in the 3D printed housing.
No big deal to cut ,seems like it's aluminum and with a dremel very easy ,I still added some paint on the cut just to make sure, I just ordered a new camera for the 2018 model ,like this looks OEM ,but you are right about the parking lines a bit aiming higher then with the old housing , I got used to it already

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
Mine was not flipped but my reverse lines are not aligned properly. They go off into the sky instead of staying on the ground. Did you buy the new 84149636 reverse camera or find a way to make the old one work in the new plastic housing? Did you have to cut sheet metal to install? I did! Wasn’t expecting that but it came out clean.
Just noticed I replied to an older post ,you did it already 😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
No big deal to cut ,seems like it's aluminum and with a dremel very easy ,I still added some paint on the cut just to make sure, I just ordered a new camera for the 2018 model ,like this looks OEM ,but you are right about the parking lines a bit aiming higher then with the old housing , I got used to it already
Is the camera you ordered the same part number that I posted? 84149636?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
Yes ,I ordered it from GmPartsDirect ,and for the washer I just used micro irrigation parts , it wouldn't worth buying original Gm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey guys, wanted to chime in and to let everyone know I got everything working 100%! As far as the camera angle being off you will need to adjust your original camera in the new housing. It needs to be tilted down just a hair. Here is a photo of mine. You can see I dremeled the housing just a little to get the camera to angle down. I also loosened the small screws in back of back up (original) camera while adding a little spacer wedge (blue in pic). It now is perfect! And FYI that is me on eBay selling the kits 😎

I still want to figure out how to get the washer tied in... would be nice to clean the lens with a push of a button.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
Hey guys, wanted to chime in and to let everyone know I got everything working 100%! As far as the camera angle being off you will need to adjust your original camera in the new housing. It needs to be tilted down just a hair. Here is a photo of mine. You can see I dremeled the housing just a little to get the camera to angle down. I also loosened the small screws in back of back up (original) camera while adding a little spacer wedge (blue in pic). It now is perfect! And FYI that is me on eBay selling the kits 😎

I still want to figure out how to get the washer tied in... would be nice to clean the lens with a push of a button.

View attachment 588261

View attachment 588262
I will take some pictures for you for the washer install how I did it , I got it working when I installed the camera I got from you ! I am working on the rear tailgate chrome piece ,fixing the crying issue ...

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Luxury
19 Posts
This was my way of connecting the washer to the new dual camera ,nothing special ,I used 1/4 micro irrigation line and a T

I cut into the existing line right before the harness but I made sure the micro hose will be able to bend without braking when I feed it in right beside the electrical harness!

The one on the right goes for the wiper the left is the camera line , I disconnected the harness and also the flex cover , not easy to feed it through but with little patience it's possible!

I aded a bit of silicone to the connections just to make sure ,but this is not really under pressure so I don't think will ever leak

Here is already in the tailgate , don't be exact ,let the hose have some extra because it's not to flexible

Use a heat gun and push it right into the camera water line ,I also used a heat shrink tube so won't slide back up !

And after is done just tack it behind the actuator motor ! I hope this helps !

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts