Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just purchased a 2016 ESV Platinum and LOVING it so far. One of the features I really liked in the 2017 model was the LCD rearview mirror. I work with USED auto parts for a living and have in my possession a rearview mirror from a wrecked 2017. I am having trouble locating the wiring information for the Gentex mirror (part#049669). I have called Gentex but they are of no help and told me to ask a dealer. Which I did and they were also no help. I tried testing it on my bench and was able to power it up but am not getting any video signal from an aftermarket camera using a Fakra to RCA cable.

There are 5 wires from the back of the mirror Green, Grey, White, Red, and Black. I have found the power and ground but need help with the other wires. I am also wondering if there is any sort of computer module that controls the camera (hopefully not)? I am searching now for an OEM rear camera and should have one soon.

Can anyone help with a factory wiring diagram? It would be nice to have a DIY on adding this awesome part to the 15-16 models! I will do a full write up and how to if I can get this going!

·
Registered
2015 Escalade ESV P
1 Posts
Very good idea!

I am waiting to get my 2015 and wanting to do the same mod.

I would think it is pretty complicated to integrate into the original system. If I do the mod, I think I would be using an aftermarked camera and just bypass the original system.

David

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,753 Posts
Install should be easy. The mirror should come with its own camera. Or, you just need to plug and play or use existing mirror?

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
935 Posts
I’d say it’s a bit more complicated than just switching out the mirror. There’s a dedicated camera on the rear hatch, next to the backup camera and there’s a washer jet part of the assembly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear camera is the same size. 17+ just adds one camera for the rear view mirror. Same plug.

Washer jet does not have to be hooked up. If you wanted to Im sure it would be easy to tap into the rear wiper washer line with a T.

Pics of 15-16 rear camera and the dual cam 17+:

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
935 Posts
Cool!

Knowing GM, though, just assumed it wouldn’t be that easy.

I forget to use it most of the time. Although, it worked surprisingly well in the rain yesterday!

·
Registered
2015-15i Escalade Premium Black/Kona
67 Posts
So did you get it hooked up and working? Assume you still have to buy the rear view mirror with the digital camera feed screen to add as well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 Sport V8 Magride
304 Posts
I’ve been thinking about doing this myself, but seems none of the sites have good parts diagrams for the 18s yet.
One thing not being mentioned here; the Onstar buttons are now on the overhead console... so a new one would have to be sourced as well. May entail additional wiring changes.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
According to GM, it can't be done as the CUE assemblies are not the same for all years. Both software and hardware are different. I would be very surprised if someone was able to do it at all.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 Sport V8 Magride
304 Posts
Well that would throw a wrench in it... I take it the rear view mirror camera goes through CUE for some reason?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,753 Posts
It’s is better to wire it separately as GM did with a separate camera. The back up screen will show in the CUE independent of what is showing in the rear view mirror. That’s why I think GM added a second camera.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to GM, it can't be done as the CUE assemblies are not the same for all years. Both software and hardware are different. I would be very surprised if someone was able to do it at all.
Where did you see this information? I don't see the wiring going the the Cue at all. FYI the Chevy Cruze uses the exact same mirror/camera as the Escalade and it does not have the Cue system. They are separate cameras.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update guys and gals! I got it working! It is actually plug and play with the existing harness. You just need to run a cable from the mirror to the camera.

Parts needed for the conversion:

-Rearview mirror I found mine on eBay from this seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-CHEVY-BOLT-OEM-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-LCD-CAMERA/323377588736?epid=2293096480&hash=item4b4ace6a00:g:9F4AAOSwfztbYknd:rk:2:pf:0
-Cable to run from mirror to camera (PM me for info on the cable)
-Dual cameras (OEM)

You will need to cut out the hole above the license plate for the dual camera to fit in (It is about 1.5" wider) Easy to do with a dremel.

The new (dual cam) back up camera from the 17-19' is plug and play but it is angled differently from the 15-16' single camera. I will be working to adjust this or use my old camera in the new housing.

Overall it was pretty easy to do and cost me under $500. I am very happy with the results and happy I am now able to see behind me with the monitor screens dropped down!

I would like to figure out a way to hook up the video feed from the camera to my dash cam so I can record both front and back.

·
Registered
2008 escalade
89 Posts
Quick update guys and gals! I got it working! It is actually plug and play with the existing harness. You just need to run a cable from the mirror to the camera.

Parts needed for the conversion:

-Rearview mirror I found mine on eBay from this seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-CHEVY-BOLT-OEM-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-LCD-CAMERA/323377588736?epid=2293096480&hash=item4b4ace6a00:g:9F4AAOSwfztbYknd:rk:2:pf:0
-Cable to run from mirror to camera (PM me for info on the cable)
-Dual cameras (OEM)

You will need to cut out the hole above the license plate for the dual camera to fit in (It is about 1.5" wider) Easy to do with a dremel.

The new (dual cam) back up camera from the 17-19' is plug and play but it is angled differently from the 15-16' single camera. I will be working to adjust this or use my old camera in the new housing.

Overall it was pretty easy to do and cost me under $500. I am very happy with the results and happy I am now able to see behind me with the monitor screens dropped down!

I would like to figure out a way to hook up the video feed from the camera to my dash cam so I can record both front and back.
so how did u run the wire from mirror to the camera?
also where does the onstar buttons go when you install this mirror?? it doesnt look like this mirror has onstar buttons.

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wire runs under headliner and thru rubber accordion tube between body and tailgate.

You can access Onstar via the Cue menu. I canceled my Onstar as I don’t see the value if you have a smartphone.

·
Registered
2008 escalade
89 Posts
Wire runs under headliner and thru rubber accordion tube between body and tailgate.

You can access Onstar via the Cue menu. I canceled my Onstar as I don’t see the value if you have a smartphone.
thank you for the insight, i didnt know one could access the onstar in the cue. cool

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 CTS and was considering a wireless backup camera with LCD mirror. I noticed however my mirrow has some type of vents/openings on the back of it. Is that for autodimming of mirror or headlights?

·
Registered
16 Esv Platinum
141 Posts
what was the process like to get the wire under the headliner all the way to the back? Did you you ever get the reverse camera aligned?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts