Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last wednesday I installed the Brembo brakes and wheels. It turned out awesome! I bought the brakes and spindles with wheels from a dismantler on E Bay. It can be done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
okiwont said:
Last wednesday I installed the Brembo brakes and wheels. It turned out awesome! I bought the brakes and spindles with wheels from a dismantler on E Bay. It can be done.
:hmm: Interesting. This is sure to get others motivated. I've always liked the V wheels. Hurry with the pics!

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Very nice. How does the increased breaking power feel? The V wheels look very nice but if you ever feel like replacing them, the six lug pattern makes buying wheels very expensive.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I'm anxious to see some pics, too! With 18" wheels, the larger disks are much needed, just for the looks! I have huge air gaps between the spokes with 18" wheels and the now puny 12" disks. I was going to get Pete's very nice Wilwood setup, but the price (~$3500) for both Front and Rear are a little prohibitive for someone who only wants to fill out the wheel.

I scored the very rare special order only five lug 14" brembo CTS GT brake kit off of EBay a few months back. They incorporate the rear parking brake in the custom billet hat. I also just picked up some gently used drilled 14" disk rings to replace the worn ones that came on the GT kit. They supposedly came off of a Ferrari that was tracked for half a day. The story was that all of them were replaced after the last Ferrari Challenge. A crew member saw them destined for the dumpster, and rescued four of them. Too bad he didn't get more. They run $350 each new, if you can find anyone who stocks them. The nice thing about Brembo's is that the the bolt pattern around the perimeter are the same

The Brembo CTS Gran Turismo kit uses some BIG calipers. The fronts are solid one peice. The disk diameter, offset, and widths are identical to the V (355x32mm front, 380x28mm rear), and they use the same pads, as well. I think they're the beefier F40 style, as opposed to the Lotus style that the V uses. They recommend using 3mm wheel spacers to clear the wheel spokes!

HaveBlue put the 14" Baer's on his. We'll have quite a lineup of big brake CTS's soon!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
so changing the brakes to the v brakes gives you 6 studs now instead of 5, so you can use the v wheels? Id love to see pics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I never posted pictures of the V brake and wheel conversion, I have tried a few times with no luck. Can someone explain how to post pictures on this forum? I am not that computer savy so keep it in simple terms please.
Thanks!
okiwont

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
okiwont said:
Sorry I never posted pictures of the V brake and wheel conversion, I have tried a few times with no luck. Can someone explain how to post pictures on this forum? I am not that computer savy so keep it in simple terms please.
Thanks!
okiwont
Let me see if I can help.

I assume you have digital images saved in your "My Pictures" file. You need to transfer those pics from "My Pictures" to a digital editor like Microsoft "Picture It." You will see a tab "Change Page". Your digital picture is much to big to post. You need to reduce them to about 50kb. You get 3 opportunities here. You can "Crop Picture" to make it smaller. You can "Change Size" and reduce the picture size and you can reduce the resolution to about 72. After you do that you must save it to "My Pictures". Go to the "My Picture" File and right click the picture to verify it's 50kb or smaller.

With that done you come back to the forum. Make post, then scroll down to "Manage Attachments". With this clicked you will see all of your "My Pictures" file. Click on your pic and your done. This will give you a thumbnail picture. After you master that I can tell you about posting larger pics.

PM me if you get stuck.

Bob

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
wait,to go from 5 lug to 6 you would have to replace the hub bearing. you did this as well I assume?

-K

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
okiwont said:
Thanks!
okiwont
E-mail them to me and I'll post them for you. Thats should be easy enough.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
that looks really good, i love the v wheels, okiwont, how much did switching out the v brakes cost you?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks RobertCTS & 05CTS for the help. Caddyman I bought the brakes, spindles and rotors from a dismantler on ebay, I think it closed around $750.00 and the same dismantler had a few sets of wheels and I bought the nicest set with fresh Michelin Pilot Sports for $900.00 S/H on both was $100.00. The dismantler was Schramm Auto, Reed was great to work with. I actually have been wanting to do the V brake conversion for some time and acquired another set of V calipers some time ago, so what I am saying is I have a set of V calipers only that if anyone is interested it sounds like they may work with what Pietromondi is working on with his big brake kit. If anyone is interested let me know. I also have a set of Eibach swaybars never installed that I would like to pass along for a good deal on this forum.
V Calipers $400.00 Shipped
Swaybars $200.00 Shipped

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Kael said:
nvermind me, it was early, i see you replaced the spindles.
I'm sure he got the set already mounted on the spindle. The spindle is the same PN between the V and the CTS, so changing it isn't necessesary, to my knowledge. Only hubs, calipers, disks, and wheels are required.

Incidentally, Schramm auto is where I got my five lug, two piece 14" Brembo brakes for the CTS, with larger monoblock calipers. They're normally special order order from Brembo and list for $3500. I paid $750 for the set on eBay. I still haven't got mine installed. They are the same dimensions as the V disks (14" x 32mm front, and 14.4" x 28mm rear), but have aluminum center hats and floating disks.

Those V wheels and brakes look VERY good on a stock CTS.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Ody:

The OEM Stock Brembo Big Brake kit on the CTSV consists of the following GM Proprietary components manufactured only for Cadillac by Brembo under license:

( 14" front rotors and 14.4" rear rotors); they are constructed of a one piece pillar vein economy grade cast iron material on the CTSV. They are worth less than a $100 bucks a piece at full boat retail. They are painted by Brembo and not plated, nor are they thermal heat treated by any means. They are by far with no offense intended.......junk!

The Brembo calipers on the CTSV are 4 piston booted GT/Street Calipers that are manufactured by Brembo under GM license for the Cadillac CTSV. They are intended for "spirited driving" and limited track applications and not any type of circle, circuit or dedicated racing applications.

They "look" like Grand Turisimo Calipers but they are NOT. They are in fact 2 piece economy cast 4 piston calipers of a very good design for there intended application. They are not available to anyone except GM. They are not available through Brembo directly or any of there authorized resellers or part jobbers. It is a proprietary GM Cadillac product manufactured to Cadillac's GM specifications and only available through GM.

On the contrary; Brembo manufactures what is known as a CTS Front Only Grand Turisimo Big Brake kit that has a MSRP price of $3500.00

That kit which is an entirely different animal consists of the following components:

2 front 4 piston staggered bore fully booted "radial mount" Brembo brake calipers that are designed and engineered for spirited street driving and circle, track racing. They are two different animals all-together and available from Brembo or any Brembo authorized reseller as an "off the shelf item".

The two front Grand Turismo brake rotors are two different species all together which represents the significant difference in the price and quality of the two braking systems. The Brembo Grand Turisimo front rotors are 14" in diameter and are of a two piece design. They weigh 7 pounds less per rotor than the one piece CTSV OEM iron rotors which is huge with regard to unsprung weight issues.

The rotor disc portion on the CTS Grand Turisimo aftermarket kit is constructed of heat tempered, cadmium plated steel alloy versus gravity cast iron.

The Grand Turisimo rotor disc is attached to a separate billet alloy rotor hat with cadmium plated grade 8 bolt hardware that serves the purpose of increasing the thermal cooling properties of the directional vanes in the steel alloy Grand Turisimo brake rotor and cooling the wheel bearings due to its two piece design and impeller design.

What is described above is a $3500 Brembo CTS Front Only Big Brake Kit. This is NOT what is on any factory CTSV. If it was, you would have a $7000 braking system on a $50,000 vehicle.

You will however find this same $3500 ($7000 total for front and rear) Brembo Grand Turisimo kit on a $90,000 Porsche as "factory standard", but not on a $50,000 CTSV.

Brembo only manufactures the Grand Turisimo kit for the CTS for the front application. It retails for $3500 and consists of the above components as described above. Brembo does not manufacture a 2 piece Grand Turisimo kit for a rear application for the CTS at all.

We offer the following for the Cadillac CTS and the CTSV:

Big Brake rotors that are 14" x 1.25" for the front
Big Brake rotors that are either 14" or 14.4" x 1.10 for the rear.

The rotor disc portion is a separate forged alloy steel that is either cross drilled or gas slotted. We cryogenically treat them to reduce alloy porosity and they are heat tempered. Each rotor disc is cadmium plated or nickel plated as an additional option. The rotors are fully guaranteed against warping or cracking. The impeller design of our rotors are of a proprietary design and we are the only distributor in North America of this product.

Each rotor disc is then attached to a separate aerospace billet alloy rotor hat with titanium hardware. The rotor hats are available in either black, red or silver. Each rotor weighs approx 7 plus pounds less than the 14" CTSV rotors and are state of the art.

They also create additional RWHP due to the design of their directional vanes and has been measured on the CTSV at 1.7%. Imagine that....brake rotors creating horsepower!

The are manufactured specifically on a custom basis for the CTS with a 5 x 115 hubcentric bolt pattern and the HUGE difference is that we can put a true 14" plus 2 piece Big Brake System on your 5 bolt CTS (FRONT AND REAR)for less than 1/2 the price of the Brembo Grand Turisimo kit!

What do you need to add to complete it: 4 CTSV Brembo calipers available from GMPD or your local scrap yard for $400 on average. Or we can supply an upgraded Brembo Brake Caliper, AP Racing or Wilwood calipers;...... or you can simply use your own CTS PBR calipers with our supplied brackets!!

This is truly a "brain-dead" application. A custom 2 piece Grand Turisimo styled 14" Big Brake Rotor kit for the Cadillac CTS that requires no changes to your CTS 5x115 hubcentric hubs, spindles, wheel/rims etc.

It doesn't get any easier or any less costlier than that!

Turnaround time is about 6 weeks on the CTS as they are custom made at this time. They are available immediatley and in stock for the CTSV in the 6 bolt configuration.

If anyone has any interest in learning more about this kit; please email us directly at:

[email protected]***********************

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.