Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may better go in the audio fourm; but answers often come slow there.

I have an 02 Seville non-Bose (so it has a woofer and a tweeter in each door). With the factory setup, the tweeters have their own power source as do the woofers. I took the woofer power an put it to the cross-over that comes with the speakers. Form the cross-over I run power to the woofer and power to the tweeter. Both woofer and tweeter are now a lot quieter than the original speakers. Should I lose the cross-over and run the original power to my new speakers? Also, I'm not sure that I want to install an amp just yet.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
lose xover your amp will act as such
and they will be lower
the non bose speak system is a 2 ohm speaker
unless you got infinity kappas, you bought a 4 ohm speaker, doubling the resistance and thereby cutting the power sent to that speaker in half

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a bit of a change. I ran the power that the car supplies to the components to the cross-over and I went direct to the woofer. There is some improvment; but its still not as loud.

I thought the car was 4 ohms. Should I rake the cross-over our completely or just install an amp and replace the rear speakers as well. I have a good 2 channel amp that I used to use for subs, maybe I can use that for the front?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
remove the xover it will make the mid more of a full range will prob increase sound level but not to the extent of what your looking for
may help in treb but idk if the speaker you chose will have an ill effect being you havent stated what speaks you bought

you best bet is return them and get infinity kappas, dadillac did the same and replaced everything hu speaks sub but kept the factory amp, he got kappas to maintain the amps power output levels

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got Infinity 6020s, only reason I bought them was because I picked the set up brand new for $70. I didn't really need them, it was an impulse buy. Since they are 4 ohm speakers (box says 4 ohm but internet says 2) maybe I should use my amp with them. I redid the wiring and sent power straight to the woofer and used the cars power for the tweeter to go through the cross over. Think I should go direct to the tweeter for right now?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
inst thats what ive been saying, ditch the xover?
and no infinity 6020s are the reference series, their basic series, though still a great speak they cannot handle the power of the kappas and are not 2 ohms like kappa, they are 4 ohm
amping them will make them louder than the rest of your speaks and then your back at square one
replace it all with 2 ohm speaks or keep it all bose if you replace with all 4 ohm youll need a 6 channel amp (4 door speaks, center channel and sub channel) and run new wiring for everything bypassing the amp
then at that point your better off replacing the hu to get good sounding signal to the amp via rcas not locs

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to replace the rear door speakers as well; I'll need another 4 ohm set those. What about that center speaker in the dash; what size is it? Also, I don't have the Bose. I had the crappy paper Delco ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts