Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jealous that I'm living in Germany and get to drive my V on the autobahn? Well you can all take solace in that I'm now paying $3070 a year for insurance, with higher deductibles than when I lived in Maryland and paid $1200 a year.

Can anyone even come remotely close to that?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
An American with a high performance car? You should probably be glad that they are letting you drive there at all. I am told they are not too fond of outsiders over there.

·
Registered
NONE
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you know, they lost the war and everything... but all things considered the Germans are quite accommodating...

As I understand it, my car is in the same insurance group as the as the S600 and the 750iL. She was actually able to bring it down by "working the numbers," either that or I'm just getting royally dicked over because I don't really know what I'm doing over here yet.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
^haha.

That is brutal on insurance. How old are you? I'm 30 and here in the states I'm paying just under $1000 a year for full coverage on the V and liability on another car. Very low deductibles and great coverage.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
389 Posts
Auto insurance is much different in Germany for a lot of reasons, just an example...if you cause an accident that stops traffic and inconveniences other drivers, each one of them has the right to sue and collect damages under German Law. I think USAA quoted me around 2800/yr for my V and said it was only reduced if you own the vehicle outright.

I think the minimum is somewhere around 2 million Euro, so that adds to the cost. And don't forget about the horrible exchange rate.

Look at it this way, you didn't have to spend the 2 thousand Euro to get a license and it is good for life.

Oh, BTW - don't get ignorant with other drivers out there, the Polizei issue tickets on the advisement of other drivers. A friend of mine had an incident with a cab driver and later received a 120 Euro ticket for not having children in a seat belt...he doesn't even have children but had to pay b/c under German law you cannot appear in court without a lawyer...which costs 250 Euro minimum.

Oh, we had a favorite people watching game out there...we'd sit around drinking and play "Gay or just German"...awesome people watching game but you need an odd number as a tie break.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Jealous that I'm living in Germany and get to drive my V on the autobahn? Well you can all take solace in that I'm now paying $3070 a year for insurance, with higher deductibles than when I lived in Maryland and paid $1200 a year.

Can anyone even come remotely close to that?
Last year was $2364, dropped to about $1900 now. It was $1200 when I lived outside city limits.

·
Registered
'11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
1,908 Posts
I'm at $2650 a year for the V.......$275 for the 87' 318i and $115 for the '97 F-150. Not to mention I have house insurance for my place in KC and then renter's insurance here in Deutchland.....

What kills me....is.....never had a speeding ticket and never had an accident going on 33 years old (knock on wood)......gotta love the insurance racket!

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
509 Posts
So I take it insurance companies don't "accidently" lump the V in with the rest of the CTS group?
I know my girlfriend's SAAB 97x Aero was put in as the 5.3i instead of the LS2 variant... hoping some ditsy insurance agent won't notice the 400hp 6spd car.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
As soon as they plug in your vin, all the details should come up. Insurance companies don't make mistakes. Unless it's in their favor.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
So I take it insurance companies don't "accidently" lump the V in with the rest of the CTS group?
I know my girlfriend's SAAB 97x Aero was put in as the 5.3i instead of the LS2 variant... hoping some ditsy insurance agent won't notice the 400hp 6spd car.
Nope...no lumping.

What they told me is that since the V is "~400hp" from the factory.....limited production numbers....highly stolen in Europe...and lack of parts in Europe....puts me at that outrageous rate.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic
509 Posts
I was shocked last October when I went from a Jaguar XK8 and a GMC Denali to just the V, and my premium went UP $100 a year. I think it was because the SUV was my "commuting" vehicle and the Jag was "recreational." Now I just have a 400hp (as far as they know) daily driver.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I was shocked last October when I went from a Jaguar XK8 and a GMC Denali to just the V, and my premium went UP $100 a year. I think it was because the SUV was my "commuting" vehicle and the Jag was "recreational." Now I just have a 400hp (as far as they know) daily driver.
I tried the "recreational" vehicle thing too with them since my 318i is my daily driver...no dice....

I shopped around...and the V was going to be $2650 if I put 1000 miles a year on it....or 100,000....arghhh..

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
As soon as they plug in your vin, all the details should come up. Insurance companies don't make mistakes. Unless it's in their favor.
My SRT8 comes up as a regular Grand Cherokee according to my insurance company.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic
509 Posts
My SRT8 comes up as a regular Grand Cherokee according to my insurance company.
Just don't let the insurance company find out your username here, and you're in good shape! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
When I had my V as my recreational vehicle, and my CTS as my DD, I was paying just about as much as if there were two different people driving them. It sickened me that only two drivers in our house were paying liability times three. I can understand requiring collision and comprehensive on all three of our cars. I don't understand why there was full liability on all three. Which is why I don't want a third car anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts