Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be the fastest.
Was hopin someone may be able to help with a 99 Bonneville ?

Looks like it expelled all the coolant.
The wife saw a huge puddle when she went out to her car but didnt know if it was there before. Went to the next place and sure enough it was there again when she came out. She saw there what looked like an actual stream coming out, (front passenger side).

Decided to take the 20min drive home.
She got home without the temp gage going above normal.
There is nothing in the overflow reservoir.
Also nothing is leaking out anymore. Maybe the odd drip.

Im not sure which pulley is for the water pump. But it looks dry around all of them. And everything sounds ok. Not a rattle, squeek, nothin.
Everything looks fine and dry all around the Rad too.

Possibly a line somewhere ?

Anyone know anything bout Bonnevilles :hmm:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Check (replace) all hoses, check radiator, water pump weep hole etc...

Heh, on my '89 Olds Eighty Eight, when my mom was using the car, she was in town, about 15mins away when the coolant light came on, so she said she filled the coolant resivor (didn't really do anything) and then drove home!

When I looked at it... there was hardly any coolant in it at all, the water pump bearing was shot, the impeller broke right off from the shaft, the pully was hardly still on, all sideways and stuff, belt barely stayed on the pully.

Replaced the water pump in the middle of NY snowy winter, filled it with coolant, and never a problem again.... 3800 is a great engine.

3800 Series II also had an intake manifold issue IIRC.... maybe that?

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya believe it is the 3800 II.
But would intake manifold issue spit the coolant onto the asphalt ?

I appreciate your input. Guess its gonna be find out this morn when I bring it in.
Thanx much

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
I drove a 96 Bonneville as my first car. The problem you are having I experienced in my DeVille though, not the Bonneville. It turned out the radiator was cracked and when the car was shut off and the cooling system stopped, it got really hot and coolant pumped out of the overflow hose thing. Get one of those pressure tests done to see if the lines and stuff are holding pressure.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
My 1998 LeSabre spit coolant onto the pavement when the intake manifold gasket started to go.
My mileage was about 63,000.
Cost to repair would've been around $700 or so, but it was covered under extended warranty.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
1. Jack up car and put jack stands underneath.
2. Climb under there at night looking for drips (other than yourself).
3. May need to start engine.
4. Radiator and heater hoses would be first place to look.
5. Then radiator.
6. Then overflow tank area.
7. Then intake manifold. You could repair that yourself if you can turn wrenches.
8. Or take it to a garage. $300--$400 for intake manifold gasket.
9 Intake manifold gasket caused by new yellow anti freeze. It will eat up intake gaskets if cars are not being driven. It will also eat up intake gaskets whether driven or not.
10. GM says newest anti freeze does not do that.

AS SOON AS YOU SMELL ANTI FREEZE, STOP CAR. REPLACE INTAKE GASKET.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1998 LeSabre spit coolant onto the pavement when the intake manifold gasket started to go.
My mileage was about 63,000.
Cost to repair would've been around $700 or so, but it was covered under extended warranty.
That was the one.
Lower intake.
Manifold believe he did say. Cost was 800. No warranty seein as its a 99 lol

Didnt really surprise me bout some of the other replies. Even though I did state in my thread pump was fine, rad was fine, nothing from overflow, all dry in those first to look at places.
Like I said it didnt surprise me. But it still does baffle me when told to check things when a poster has already stated that they were the first things checked.
What really gets me is when someone states not just to check something but states to actually "replace" something.
Ya thanx Nightwolf. Will get right on replacing something before even knowing if its needed.

I do appreciate input.
But come on people !
Appears that some post just for the sake of posting without even reading what the original threader said. Telling to do things without a clue if it is needed.:hmm::helpless:

Like said thanx for the input all (ted tcb). But lets not be wasting bandwidth here and or sending others on journeys to R&R things that arent necessary :histeric:

Thanx gain and lets all pay attention eh :thepan:

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goddamned I can be such an ass !!
Thought bout what Id said later and wondered what the @%$# is wrong with me.
Couldnt edit by then though.

Sorry all

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
I do believe there is an updated manifold as well. When I did it in my 98. I got an intake manufactured in 01 with the upgrade around the EGR pipe.
I did it myself for like 190 bucks. Took about 3 hours with the beer.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ya like I said the manifold.
Also the breaks were shot. Front pads, machine rotors. And the rears were out of line. For some reason the shoes hadnt adjusted properly to the drums. They were way off. Which explained the deep push on the pedal.
Also turned out there was an open recall on the fuel regulator. Am 100% positive that id heard of that before a few years back, and contacted another dealer about it but was told it didnt pertain to our vehicle. So that was taken care of as well.
Oil Lube Filter....
1500 Canadian in total.

But got a sweet T-shirt out of the deal.
I noticed every one wearing these black Ts with a nice size Cadillac crest on the back. Bout 6in diameter. Also nice size on the front breast. Not just tiny alligator size. Sure it has big letters sayin Team Wallace on the front and back above the crest.
But still a sweet shirt. And it only cost me 1500 LOL.

Also recieved a "Hand" written letter in the mail today from them thanking me for all my money.

We bought the Bonneville when it was 3 years old (5 years ago), for only 5000 Can. Was a lease for the company my wife works for. She knows the guy who drove it etc.....She was offered 10,000 at the place she was getting it certified.
The only major thing we've had to do to it was the sending unit in the gas tank. But got a deal on that too. Got the whole tank (refurbished) and the sending unit, as well as lines replaced for less than what GM wanted for just a new unit.

Its got 270,000 kilometeres on it and been doin great for 5000.

I did it myself for like 190 bucks. Took about 3 hours with the beer.
I hear ya there. But not into it no more. Not enough time...let alone beer. LOL
It probably would have cost me almost as much just on beer. And Id still be workin on it LMAO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts