Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether inner tie rod replacement is a difficult job? Also, is it very expensive? I've gotten the parts, but I just need to get them put on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am working on the 90 DeVille. A couple guys told me that the car has inner tie rods and that I should look for replacement because the car appears to be in need of one. I am confused now.:crying: So which does the car have, inner or outer, cause I need to know whether I should keep the parts or go and buy new ones.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
There are inner tie rods, but you need to take the boots off to get at them. They thread on to the rack.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Correct. Unfortunately, they are NOT generally replaced. Most people simply replace the rack instead since the "inner" rod ends rarely exibit any problems prior to the rack itself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright then, I'll check it out. Tell me this though, are the racks generally difficult to replace? Do you think that I could do that myself, or will I need help? :D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Racks are not terribly hard. There is a few items that must be moved in order to do the R&R and you do need an alignment afterwards but it can be done by the average DIY'r

·
Registered
13 Posts
Katshot,
What items will need to be removed before you can get to the rack. Does the cross member come out? Does it unbolt easily?

Countilaw

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,198 Posts
HollywoodHicks1 said:
Does anyone know whether inner tie rod replacement is a difficult job? Also, is it very expensive? I've gotten the parts, but I just need to get them put on.
Inner tie rod replacement is a piece of cake if you have the correct tools. There is a speciality tool which looks like a piece of pipe that fits over the inner tierod with the outer tierod removed. The tool has several adaptors.
You should really get the toe reset unless you have a really good set of eyes so maybe farm this one out to a front end shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts