Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mechanic tells me that in order to pass inspection (I live in VA), the inner tie rod on the driver side needs to be replaced. Anybody have experience with this? Any idea where I can find some online instructions? He says labor could be between $150 and $480!

P.S. I hate safety inspections. I've never had a car inspected that doesn't need some kind of work done.

·
Registered
2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite
1,185 Posts
I've never looked under my SRX - - but I've changed out a few tie rods over the years, and they all were pretty much the same.

Usually just undo the nuts. sometimes you need a spreading fork (Looks like a big tuning fork that you hit with a hammer to force the end of the tie rod out of it's mounting... Then you bolt up the new one.

Even if you are careful and mark the position of the original, accept that it is quite possible you will need an Wheel Alignment after you are finished.

Myself, I hate Safety and Air inspections, as I have never had a car that did not pass - - so they are a total waste of $36 to me (not to mention the hassle of dealing with it.!

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
82 Posts
Wiz, he mentioned the inner tie rod is what is experiencing problems. It seems you gave information regarding the outer tie rod or tie rod end.

My understanding is that the steering rack needs to be replaced in order to change the inner tie rods, however, rock auto will sell you independent inner tie rods (from Moog).

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wiz, he mentioned the inner tie rod is what is experiencing problems. It seems you gave information regarding the outer tie rod or tie rod end.

My understanding is that the steering rack needs to be replaced in order to change the inner tie rods, however, rock auto will sell you independent inner tie rods (from Moog).
Well that doesn't sound good. My mechanic mentioned that he might have to take out the rack to replace the tie rod (hence the $480 labor cost).

I found the part (less than $40). My concern is that if I get it, I won't be able to install it myself.

I also have a strange feeling that it doesn't really need to be replaced and that I might need to take it somewhere else to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
I don't think there are any inner tie rod ends. A rack and pinion system only has outer ends. Go with Wizzards reply.
Second opinions are always good. So would be a new mechanic.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just to be clear, GM does not sell the inner tie rods for this car (they are part of the 'rack')
So if my mechanic tells me the inner tie rod needs to be replaced in order to pass safety inspection, then what he's really saying is that the entire steering rack needs to be replcaced? Apparently it's making a noise or is loose. I don't know, I haven't noticed anything.

Seems unlikely, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Furthur to my earlier post, google rack and pinion repair. you tube video by 'roadragecustoms' dated 12-29-09. If I knew how to link, I would. Doesn't look too hard. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
the inner tie rod can probably be replaced with an aftermarket (like SRT ACE noted - rock auto sells a Moog branded one apparently)

but GM doesn't sell anything besides the outer tie rods and the whole steering rack

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
OK, how do you do that?
My suggestion, have the inspection, do the repair IF you're caught. I would think you'd be having tire wear problems or shimmy if the problem were serious. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V8
18 Posts
Hi! I if you'r an average DIY, with lots of monkey hours to give, you can do your rack. I've done it in 16 hours monkey time on a concrete floor. Better change the rack than only one inner tie rod. The refurb rack comes with new inner tie rods and selenoid. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V8
18 Posts
To Rippypartsdept, are you telling that in ecxept to change inner tie rod you must change the entire rack. If yes good move for me. But anyway, why GM don't sell that part. Thanks and let know.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i'm not sure of the reason(s) but GM does not sell that part (the inner tie rod) separately - you must buy a whole steering rack (if you want to buy from GM, that is)

i'm sure they have their reasons(s) but yes, if you want to go with a GM part (or with GM's procedure at least) you should replace the whole rack if there's a problem w/ the inner tie rod

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Success! I replaced the inner tie rod this weekend. It actually looks more like a joint (no not that kind) than a rod. The hardest part was actually getting the end off where it connects to the rack. It's about 2" across and I couldn't find a wrench big enough to fit (it's kind of a tight fit, too). They make a tie rod end tool, but the one I rented from Autozone didn't fit, either. I finally got it off by climbing under the car and using a big pair of channel locks.

Overall, not to bad. The best part, of course was that the part was less than $40 so I saved at least $300 by doing it myself, much more if I were to replace the whole rack.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So now that I replaced the inner tie rod a few months ago, that side of my car is making a creaking noise when I turn now. I haven't ever gotten around to getting an alignment because I have work on the other side I wanted to do first (hub and shock). Could I have messed something up or could it be something else? I sure hope I don't need to replace the entire rack. My guess is that it's the outer tie rod. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I don't think rod ends 'creak' except close to Holloween, probably bushings. Try some WD-40 or such, do just 1 at a time to narrow search. Start w/ stabilizer bar.:)

Reactions: MacMuse

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
82 Posts
Spud, did you end up with the Moog from Rock Auto? Any tips or tricks for the repair? About how long did it take?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts