Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5
95 Posts
Probably one of the most profitable up-sell services for dealers that isn't necessary or required. X2 with Techron. I add it to all of my vehicles fuel tank at the time that the oil is changed.

·
Registered
2005 Deville base
608 Posts
Just be careful with the Techron, it's a powerful chemical, I don't know what it might do to the insides of the system if used too often.

·
Registered
2005 Deville base
608 Posts
I don't just drink the Kool-Aid when someone says I have to.
Let me first say, "I am no chemist by any stretch of the imagination." Looking at the material safety data sheets of both products (GM's cleaner and Chevron Techron) They appear to be quite similar.
I've always had a problem with someone who has a dog in the fight saying that their dog is better. In other words, tell me what the "Proprietary Mixture" consists of so I can make my own decision. Don't just tell me, "We make the car, we make the additive so we say you can't use anything else." Ain't gonna happen!
Is GM's cleaner any good? I don't know, I haven't used it. Is Chevron's cleaner any good? Yes. I have used it in at least 4 different vehicles that all produced positive results and no ill effects.
Do I say you have to use one or the other? No. Do your own research and make your own decision.
If you are experiencing symptoms that indicate your fuel injectors need cleaning, or you just want to satisfy your dealer and don't want to chance using something they don't recommend, get the GM stuff and dump it in your tank, but, don't let them pad their bottom line by using a bunch of unnecessary equipment and having you pay for it all.
JMHO

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,675 Posts
FWIW the ingredients in TECHRON are also not only in the GM fuel injector and fuel system cleaner, they are part of the Top Tier licensed gasolines additive package.

Stoddard solvent, naphtha, light mineral oil, other solvent-type stuff. Chevron packages its products for and under several brand names. So does every other snake oil packager. Your bucks.

A 20 oz. bottle of TECHRON should not be used any more often than 5,000 miles - it's a powerful fuel system (not intake valve specifically) cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,625 Posts
Hey Sub, what about CRC system cleaner? i do it once a year when changing the oil - also once a year ....probably 4K a year, i dont know what gas is at the chain food store she shops at to collect points

steve

·
Administrator
77,675 Posts
Any of the products sold to "enhance performance" may do something good but in any event they usually won't hurt anything.

As always, if a little is good, more is NOT better.

·
Registered
2019 CT6-V
239 Posts
Fuel Additives Impact on Fuel Quality

Some information regarding GM's position on additives:

GM is aware that some companies are marketing tools, equipment and programs to support fuel injector cleaning as a preventative maintenance procedure. GM does not endorse, support or acknowledge the need for fuel injector cleaning as a preventative maintenance procedure. Fuel injector cleaning is approved only when performed as directed by a published GM drivability or DTC diagnostic service procedure.

Due to the variation in fuel quality in different areas, the only preventative maintenance currently endorsed by GM regarding its gasoline engine fuel systems is adding GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS to a tank of fuel at each oil change. These fuel additives, which should be used when the vehicle exhibits loss of power, diminished performance, or a noted decrease in fuel economy, can help with the prevention and removal of deposits from the intake valves, fuel injectors and the combustion chamber.
The two paragraphs seem contradictory to me; don't use it unless directed by a service procedure, or use it at every oil change.

Further, they mention intake valve cleaning, which does not apply in direct injected engines. (I'm much more concerned about intake valve deposits on a GDI engine than I am with potentially dirty injectors when using top tier fuel.)

I've never used additives in any vehicle I've owned, and I have several in the mid-200 to mid 300k range with no injector maintenance.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
1,097 Posts
I don't just drink the Kool-Aid when someone says I have to.
Let me first say, "I am no chemist by any stretch of the imagination." Looking at the material safety data sheets of both products (GM's cleaner and Chevron Techron) They appear to be quite similar.
I've always had a problem with someone who has a dog in the fight saying that their dog is better. In other words, tell me what the "Proprietary Mixture" consists of so I can make my own decision. Don't just tell me, "We make the car, we make the additive so we say you can't use anything else." Ain't gonna happen!
Is GM's cleaner any good? I don't know, I haven't used it. Is Chevron's cleaner any good? Yes. I have used it in at least 4 different vehicles that all produced positive results and no ill effects.
Do I say you have to use one or the other? No. Do your own research and make your own decision.
If you are experiencing symptoms that indicate your fuel injectors need cleaning, or you just want to satisfy your dealer and don't want to chance using something they don't recommend, get the GM stuff and dump it in your tank, but, don't let them pad their bottom line by using a bunch of unnecessary equipment and having you pay for it all.
JMHO
IMHO this is marketing and greed nameplates pull
If people did not know this is, GM came up with the Top tier gas makeup and ANYONE claiming their gas is tier 2 MUST pay GM $xx amount per volume of gas they sell

GM has to claim it is no use using additives or cleaners as otherwise if they did, that would say their Top Tier makeup is BS and not keeping injectors, valves, cylinders clean of carbon buildup
Yet GM OEMs and sells an injectors cleaner product that the public buys from the OEM

As it is the producers of raw gas are not the ones adding the additives but the suppliers who pump the gas into the gas stations tanks and NO one is testing to verify that gas as if complies to Top Tier or not
GM couldn't care less they get that money upfront be we all know if that crap worked as marketed that all internal of combustion parts would be spotless, and we know that is not true

More damage happens when GM controls the engines to run leaner just to claim MPG numbers and smog testing and the damage done in use of E10 and now E15 gas to the internals of engines, including the fuel injectors

A couple ounces of an injector cleaner product deluded to a full tank of gas is not going to harm the injectors any more than the gas does.

Look back 10 years ago as to how many gas sellers labeled as Top Tier compliant and look today to find many less doing so
Maybe they got sick of paying GM big bucks and getting little in return

In countless custom tuning GM vehicles since 1995 I have seen clear changes as to the AFR and fuel trims bettered after injectors were cleaned up

Better when the injectors are sent to a service that deep cleans, changes injector screen and flow matches them for far less than waiting for injectors to really reduce flow and spend $100-300 each for new ones.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

The two paragraphs seem contradictory to me; don't use it unless directed by a service procedure, or use it at every oil change.

Further, they mention intake valve cleaning, which does not apply in direct injected engines. (I'm much more concerned about intake valve deposits on a GDI engine than I am with potentially dirty injectors when using top tier fuel.)

I've never used additives in any vehicle I've owned, and I have several in the mid-200 to mid 300k range with no injector maintenance.
Just another GM marketing hype from GM
Again, do not buy from others, just buy our crap that costs more

Show me one GM engine with just 10,000 miles on it that the internals are spotless due to top tier only and why it is required for fuel injectors to have screen/filter on them and how just a small amount of carbon can begin to clog them up ?
Add that Ethanol in gas loves to attract water, be surprised how much water gets collected in fuel tanks and that dirty water then flowed through the injectors from the tank

I bet that most of those saying there is no problem in not cleaning fuel system or internal engine has also not used a OBD-II scanner on a regular basis and looked at injector flow, fuel trims, AFR, misfires and knock counts and if the HP and torque values have gone down but say OK not a problem

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,486 Posts
An injector flush is only needed once they are gummed up from using poor gasoline on a regular bases. Apart from that proper gasoline keeps injectors clean and you should not have any problems for 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,614 Posts

The very first part is about additives to increase fuel economy.
Don't use them, they don't help.

The second part of the bulletin is referencing
"tools, equipment and programs to support fuel injector cleaning as a preventative maintenance procedure."
Things like the BG intake system cleaner where they remove the fuel line and stuff through the fuel rail and spray stuff in the intake and let it sit.

They do not recommend these procedures as preventative maintenance.
They do recommend a can of their cleaner, which is almost exactly Techron with every oil change.

The mention of the valves is because this bulletin has been issues ever 2 or three years since the early 2000s

·
Administrator
77,675 Posts
If people did not know this is, GM came up with the Top tier gas makeup and ANYONE claiming their gas is tier 2 MUST pay GM $xx amount per volume of gas they sell........................
GM was one of 5 or 6 automakers that came up with the TopTier fuel additive package, and there is NO royalty paid to them, Mercedes, BMW or the others.

HOWEVER, GM did come up with the DEXOS- engine oil specs and yes, they get a royalty from a refiner/packager who uses the DEXOS licensing label. DEXOS is NOT an oil - it's a specification. Every name brand of engine oil on earth probably meets the specs anyway.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
GM trade marked "TOP TIER" and anyone using it for profit does pay GM

The TOP TIER trademark was assigned a Serial Number #86618443 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

Trademark Serial Number is a Unique ID to identify the TOP TIER mark in USPTO.
The TOP TIER mark is filed in the category of Lubricant and Fuel Products
The legal correspondent for TOP TIER trademark is TIMOTHY G. GORBATOFF, General Motors Llc, 300 Renaissance Center Detroit, MI 48265-0001
The current status of the TOP TIER filing is REGISTERED.
Based on General Motors LLC, the TOP TIER trademark is used in the following business : Fuel

GM Trademark Top Tier

And has continued to renew such trademark

Trademark GM Owned

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
An injector flush is only needed once they are gummed up from using poor gasoline on a regular bases. Apart from that proper gasoline keeps injectors clean and you should not have any problems for 100,000 miles.
Happens a lot more then 100,000 miles, by far and has caused GM to write multi TSBs due to this problem

Document ID# 2043811

Subject: Various Driveability Symptoms Due to Clogged Fuel Injectors, MIL/SES DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174, P0300, P1174, P1175 (Clean Fuel Injectors and/or Perform Injector Test With AFIT - CH-47976) #03-06-04-030F - (12/10/2007)

This bulletin is being revised to update the model year to 2018. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-030E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following various driveability symptoms:

• Extended Crank Time
• Hard to Start
• MIL/SES Illuminated with DTCs
• Hesitation
• Lack of Power
• Surge or Chuggle
• Rough Idle
• Light or Intermittent Misfire

Cause
Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction.
The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.

Correction
Fuel injector restrictions, deposits can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened. As a long term solution, and to prevent reoccurrence, customers should be encouraged to use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline .

Regular use of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus should keep the customer from having to repeat the injector cleaning procedure.

For further information on Top Tier detergent gasoline and fuel retailers, please refer to the following Corporate Bulletin Numbers:

• 04-06-04-047G (U.S. Only)
• 05-06-04-022D (Canada ONLY)

Notice: GM UPPER ENGINE AND FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER is the only injector cleaning agent approved for use with General Motors fuel system components. Other injector cleaners may cause damage to plastics, plated metals or bearings.
General Motors has completed extensive laboratory testing of GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, and can assure its compatibility with General Motors fuel system components, as long as the cleaning procedure is followed correctly.

Injector Cleaning Procedure
The following tools, or their equivalent, are required:

• CH-47976 Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT)
• J 35800-A Fuel Injector Cleaner
• J 37287 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
• J 42964 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
• J 42873 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
• * One bottle of GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, P/N 88861802 (in Canada, P/N 88861804)
• * One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, P/N 88861011 (in Canada, P/N 88861012)

Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT- CH-47976)
Some dealers may not have an Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT- CH-47976). Dealers can contact 1-800-GM-TOOLS (1-800-468-6657) to order an AFIT- CH-47976.
Dealers still can test the fuel injectors without an AFIT. Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/ J 39021 or Tech 2®) in SI.

Important: As mentioned in the AFIT User Guide, vehicles that are not listed in the AFIT menu can still be tested with the AFIT. Depending on the model, it may be possible to enter the previous model year and proceed with testing using the DLC connection.
If this is not possible on the model that you are working on, it will be necessary to use the direct connection method outlined in the AFIT User Guide (See Pages 17-31).

General Motors recommends that the Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT) be used in testing fuel injectors. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, use the Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT - CH-47976) to perform an "Injector Test" as outlined in the AFIT User Guide.

The AFIT "Injector Test" measures the flow characteristics of all fuel injectors, which is more precise when compared with the standard Tech 2® fuel injector balance test. As a result, the AFIT is more likely to isolate the cause of a P1174 DTC (for example: if it is being caused by a fuel injector concern).

The CH-47976 (Active Fuel Injector Tester - AFIT) can also be used to measure fuel pressure and fuel system leak down. Also, as mentioned in the P1174 SI diagnosis, if the misfire current counters or misfire graph indicate any misfires, it may be an indicator of the cylinder that is causing the concern. Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/CH-47976) in SI for additional instructions.

Injector Cleaning Procedure
Notice: GM UPPER ENGINE AND FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER is the only injector cleaning agent recommended. DO NOT USE OTHER CLEANING AGENTS AS THEY MAY CONTAIN METHANOL, WHICH CAN DAMAGE FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. Under NO circumstances should the GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner be added to the vehicle fuel tank.

Do not exceed the recommended cleaning solution concentration. Testing has demonstrated that exceeding the recommended cleaning solution concentration does not improve the effectiveness of this procedure.

Important: Vehicles with less than 160 km (100 mi) on the odometer should not have the injectors cleaned. These vehicles should have any out of specification injectors replaced.
For 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines, empty two of the 30 ml (1 oz) reservoirs of the GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner container into the J 35800-A - Injector Cleaning Tank then add 420 ml (14 oz) of regular unleaded gasoline.

If you are using any other brand of cleaning tank, you will need a total of 60 ml (2 oz) mixed with 420 ml (14 oz) of regular unleaded gasoline.
For 8 cylinder engines, empty two of the 30 ml (1 oz) reservoirs of the GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner container into the J 35800-A - Injector Cleaning Tank then add 420 ml (14 oz) of regular unleaded gasoline.

If you are using any other brand of cleaning tank, you will need a total of 60 ml (2 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner mixed with 420 ml (14 oz) of regular unleaded gasoline. This procedure will need to be repeated for a second time for an 8 cylinder engine (8 cylinder engines receive 960 ml total fluid - 120 ml (4 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner and 840 ml (28 oz) of gasoline.
Be sure to follow all additional instructions provided with the tool.
Electrically disable the vehicle fuel pump by either removing the fuel pump fuse or the fuel pump relay and disconnecting the oil pressure switch connector, if equipped.
Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Relieve fuel pressure and disconnect the fuel feed and return lines at the fuel rail. Plug the fuel feed and return lines coming off the fuel rail with J 37287, J 42873 or J 42964 as appropriate for the fuel system.
Connect the J 35800-A to the vehicle fuel rail.
Pressurize the J 35800-A to 510 kPa (75 psi).
Start and idle the engine until it stalls, due to lack of fuel. This should take approximately 15-20 minutes.
Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Disconnect the J 35800-A from the fuel rail.
Reconnect the vehicle fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch connector, if equipped.
Remove the J 37287, J 42873 or J 42964 and reconnect the vehicle fuel feed and return lines.
Start and idle the vehicle for an additional two minutes to ensure residual injector cleaner is flushed from the fuel rail and fuel lines.
Pour the entire contents of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus (P/N 88861011 [in Canada, P/N 88861012]) into the tank and advise the customer to fill the tank.
Review the benefits of using Top Tier Detergent gasoline with the customer and recommend that they add a bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus to the fuel tank at every oil change.

Regular use of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus should keep the customer from having to repeat the injector cleaning procedure.

Road test the vehicle to verify that the customer concern has been corrected.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts