1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
I picked up their 70004 kit from Amazon when I put non-RF tires on for the winter. Hopefully I will never need it but I figured with the plug kit it might also be useful for some of my other vehicles or utility tractor. Hopefully I will never need it but it was about $55 when I bought it which is pretty cheap "insurance".

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I heard some sealants are more likely to damage the TPMS sensors. I don't know if the better ones mention that on the box or if there are published tests, but something to consider.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
I heard some sealants are more likely to damage the TPMS sensors. I don't know if the better ones mention that on the box or if there are published tests, but something to consider.
Don't know the cost of a new sensor, but maybe a small cost to get rolling again without a tire change?
More important, do these fill-ups really work for all situations or only small punctures?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
None will work for significant tire damage (i.e. a major cut from road debris) but will prevent you from being sidelined by the typical puncture. My preference for nail/screw damage is to remove the object and plug the damaged area rather than use slime and it is a little more work however it is fast and it isn't difficult. This also avoids potential damage to the TPMS although supposedly this newer Slime is TPMS friendly; in any case a properly installed plug will last for the life of the tire.

IF you plan on tracking the car then the tire should be dismounted so that a proper inside patch can be installed and depending upon the manufacturer the speed rating may be lost after any such repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
The one oemtech posted is the same one I have. On back of it, it states that it's safe for TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I wanted an OEM kit, just because. I search eBay for OEM flat tire repair kits. I found two used GM kits in the range of $99. I widened my search and found that there are many cars that use the same exact kit. I bought a brand new, still in the plastic kit form a 2015 Lexus, for $37.50. The part number is even the same as the GM part. For the time being I have run flats but it's nice to have that extra security blanket.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat
497 Posts
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/90P-VIAIR-Portable-Compressor-Tires/dp/B003RM72UO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433896678&sr=8-4&keywords=viair+p90

I still have the runflats on my ATS and will probably keep it that way when the tires need replacing, since it's basically my wife's car.

I carry the portable compressor in my Corvette, along with a can of Slime. If I have a major blowout that's not easily repairable, I have several options: Call AAA, call OnStar, or cellphone for a flatbed. Small punctures can be inflated to get me to a repair station if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts