Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard some gurgling under the hood when engine was off today---hot day,seems to have
been radiator purging excess coolant into overflow tank.
Turned engine on,let it run a while and noticed "top" radiator hose that goes to thermostat
deflating to flat.
Turned engine off and it inflated back to normal size within 2 minutes.
What causes that and is that normal?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked cooled down engine after an hour--both upper & lower rad hoses were collapsed.
Got radiator cap off--it was like vacuum sealed--took some force to remove it.
Had a spare new rad cap in trunk,put it on--ran engine till real hot for a half hour---all is good so far.
Did a quick google search while letting engine cool and most said it`s a bad rad cap and/or clogged line from
top of rad to overflow tank. I checked the line and it`s ok.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
My 90 has some seepage, I thought is was the cap, put a new one on but it still seeps. Im going try sodering around the filler neck and see what happens.

Your car must be loving all the attention this year.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 90 has some seepage, I thought is was the cap, put a new one on but it still seeps. Im going try sodering around the filler neck and see what happens.

It`s absolutely loving all the attention this year!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Used to be it was easy choosing a replacement radiator cap back in the day.
Now it`s not so easy. E-bay has so many different styles--some with the flared tabs for easier turning etc.
Only mention it since I have`nt been able to find one like the original--just circular with no finger tabs--AC/DELCO.
The new spare I have has the flared out tabs for easier turning but it does`nt seem to go on as "tight" as
the original. Been checking it and it does "not' seep and hoses have "not" collapsed since using it---maybe that`s the new design these days.

First I`ve heard of soldering around the filler cap--hope it works for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts