Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://jalopnik.com/5267582/camaro-pace-cars-have-brake-weights-crazy-wheel-imbalance

Camaro Pace Cars Have Brake Weights, Crazy Wheel Imbalance
By Ben Wojdyla, 8:00 AM on Sun May 24 2009

You might think the General would have addressed the brake weights added to the Chevy Camaro's squealing calipers for their Indy 500 pace cars. You'd be wrong, because these have those plus a ton of weights for actual wheel balancing.

Shhhh, those are probably just "speed weights," you know, to keep the car firmly on the ground during high speed pace car duties.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Maybe they should have rotated that tire 180.Most wheel tire combos use less weights.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Hmm, they must be using Ford suppliers. Good thing it's not Nissan, they'd void your warranty if you changed the weights...

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
What's the point of this again- that Goodyear makes crappy tires? :yawn:

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
The weights are generally there for imbalance i the tyres, not the wheel. Not GM's fault.

Plus they could have been balanced by a complete r***** (yes even with a computer balancing machine).

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
I have never had good luck with any of my Goodyears. I had F1's on the WS6, Crap. GS-Cs on all my Z28s, Crap.
RS-As on my CTS, Crap. Now I have Bridgestones on everything but the WS6. I have a set of Falkens on there which I absolutely love! The Bridgestones have also been top notch.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've loved my RS-A's on the FTS. But once it's time to look for new tires I'm upgrading to some Z rated rubber

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
I've never had a set of Goodyears wear evenly. Nevermind balancing...
I had 3 sets of Goodyear Eagle GT II wear very evenly all the way to 80,000 miles each on my 88 Mustang LX, 5.0 with Eibach springs and sway bars. :)

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I remember when the hot ticket was to mount the tire and then put it on a lathe to true it round. Few weights required after that.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I'd go play the lottery if I were you...
Why, because I got 80k out of each set of Goodyears or have a Mustang that has clocked over 335,000 relatively trouble free, fun miles? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts