Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat in my 2000 DHS is all over the place. On a 40 degree day, setting the temp to 74 degrees I get cool air. I had to dial the temp up to 86 degrees to get good heat. I got back in the car 30 minutes later, the car is blowing very hot air at 65 degrees.

The last time I checked the DIC the only relevant code was a B0429 - rear heat control. I know I have to replace the Mode Actuator.

Does anyone have similar experience?
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Remember the basics of ACC (auto climate control). The car must know what the cabin temp is, in order to know whether it must heat or cool to reach the 74 degree requested temp.Since it seems to be confused, I'd make sure all is well with the asperator. If all is well there, you might look at the air mix door and its actuator. Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have those things looked into. Thanks.

Question: I read an earlier post where you described the asperator as a hose that directs cabin air to a sensor where actual temp is compared to requested temp. What is the name of that sensor? Does it go bad often?

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Cabin tempurature sensor would be my guess. No, I don't think it is a common failure. There is an asperator fan in that hose that pulls the cabin air over the sensor. Be sure it is working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger,

Do you know the technical name for the asperator? I can't explain to the folks at my local cadillac dealer what this part is?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
The FSM calles it an asperator. They should know exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Ranger is right, the dealership should know what you are talking about, the fact that you got into the car 30 min later, I wonder if you are low on coolant, or have a lazy thermostat. The one thing I hope you don't have is a bad programmer, or whatever passes for one in 2000, big $$$, according to the cadillac owners manual, what you are describing is normal, except for the 30 min later part.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Ranger is right, remember the car is trying to achieve a set temperature inside the car.

If it's 40 degrees inside the car and you have it set on 65, it's going to blow hot air in an attempt to get the car to warm up on the inside to 65.

Also if it's 80 degrees in the car and you have it set on 75 it is going to blow cold air to try to get it down to 75.
It doesn't blow 75 degree air out in an attempt to get the air in the car to 75 degrees anymore than your furnace in your home blows out 75 degree air to try to get your house up to 75 degrees. Your car works a little differently but on the same principal. It blows full heat to make up for a large difference and then as the temp gets closer to where you want it the fan slows down (if on auto) and the temp doors move to maintain the set temperature.
This does cause a lot of confusion to some people.
Maybe this isn't your problem, but I just thought I'd post this info to clarify.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts