Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
STS 2006
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not sure what is going on with the car. Almost every feature it has behaves inconsistently. For example,

• When i park the car and leave, it won't always lock the doors automatically. Most of the time it will but every now and then it will leave the doors open and i will have to press the keys to lock them.
  • I have 'Driver Exit Settings' where the steering column goes up, the seat goes back and the backrest goes back as well. Sometimes when i get in the car and start it, not everything will go back to 'Driving Mode', for example the backrest will stay in 'Exit Mode' and i will have to manually adjust it.
  • When i put the car in reverse, the driver side mirror suppose to point down to the ground. I can engage into reverse a 1000 times and it won't move even once. Now for example it's been adjusting itself when i put the car in reverse for almost two weeks now every single time.
  • My dashboard lights are set to the brightest position on the dimmer, but every once in a while when i'm driving the dashboard lights will become considerably brighter all of a sudden without touching any button.
The battery is new and there are no errors codes...any creative ideas on where to begin?

Thanks, Yarin.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...Yarin

My 2006 randomly forgets some of the personalized settings.
I just go into settings and re-save everything.
This works until the next time it forgets some of the settings.
Remember to press and hold 'Driver 1' or 'Driver 2' until it beeps to save all settings.
Also, sometimes nearby wireless signals and those from my cellphone/wi-fi/bluetooth interfere with the car's ability to receive signals.
Keep your phone and fob separated.

My mirrors sometimes don't return to the pre-programmed setting.
Again, I set the mirrors to where I want them and re-save the setting.

If the car is started in the shade, the dash lights will be dimmed.
After being out of the shade for a short while, they will self-brighten.

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
526 Posts
Looks like bcm or one of the other modules not working properly. You need to check it with advanced hardware like tech2 to find out.

·
Registered
2008 STS V8
94 Posts
Electronics on these cars is a crap shoot. Many, many problems. Others have zero issues at all. That is GM reliability for ya, and also explains why your $55K car is worth $7K just 10 years later.

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
526 Posts
this car had very modern and complex architecture for 2004 when it arrived. Not surprising that it start to fail on 10-15 years old vehicles.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
408 Posts
The behavior of the mirror in reverse is determined by the position of the mirror controller. If you leave the controller centered, neither mirror moves. If you leave the controller tipped left or right, the corresponding mirror will move in reverse.

This may not be your issue, but I'll also point out in case you didn't know, the locking and exit position functions can be different based on which key fob you use. There are some odd cases related to this. For example, if I press the button on fob #2 to unlock the parked and locked car to take something out, and later drive away with fob #1, it does not automatically recall driver 1 settings. This quirk does not happen when just unlocking by pulling the door handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts