Cadillac Owners Forum banner

In The Market To Buy A New Car - Looking For Some Input - Long Thread w/ Cliffs

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Dogbreath 
#1 ·
Looking for some honest input here because I'm finally in the market to buy a new car have been leaning towards the V for a while. I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding the V from an overall pros/cons perspective. What I mean is things like personal experience, stuff you've read, its relevancy to current auto technology in general and comparable vehicles, etc. Also need some input on my current situation. If you don't want to read entirety below (apologies for the novel :suspense:) I've got cliffs at the bottom. Thanks in advance.

Long Version:

Back story:
I've been into cars my whole life. Ever since I was a little kid I always LOVED the sound of an American V8. I'm the kind of guy who researches almost everything before making a purchase, but am decisive enough to tell at first glance if I truly like what I see. My first V8 was a Fox Body 5.0 Mustang I completely modded. As I've grown up, my needs have changed from being ok with a less than reliable vehicle that is loud enough to set off car alarms to needing something more practical I can take my family around in (safely) and still go 0-60 sub 5 seconds. I parted with the 5.0 to buy a brand new '06 GTO which I still drive to this day. The moment I saw the GTO I knew I would get one.

Currently:
After almost 7 years and 65k miles on the clock I'm finally ready to move onto something new. As soon as I saw the V I had the same feeling I did when I first saw the goat. I just couldn't (financially) justify buying one at that time, so I decided to wait, see how I could better use my money and also wait until the V depreciated in value. I want to sell the goat because I have some back problems which the M6 exacerbates, I have a daughter (and am working on #2) so it's a PITA to get her out for school everyday and lastly I want to avoid any costly maintenance and repairs (since she's getting up there on the odo and age).

A major problem I see is that the (current model) V is in it's 5th year of production and appears like it's on its way out. From a technology perspective it doesn't feel like it's ahead of the curve at all. Cadillac is launching new models and not giving much attention to the CTS(V) anymore and I'm not sure if it's a head turner anymore either (this isn't that important, but it's definitely a nice-to-have).

The catch is that there really aren't any other options out there which can compete with the V. The Audi S4 is way too slow for me (and is a V6), I'm not a fan of BMW so the M3 is out, I like MBs even less so the C63 is out and I can't think of anything else that has 4 doors, but still has enough power to make me content. And I don't want to get something I have to mod in order to satisfy my speed and handling desires. So there's my predicament for you. Should I just go with my gut and enjoy the V? Is there another comparable option out there I'm not thinking about? Curious to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Cliffs:
-Want to get a new car
-Has to have 4 doors, handle well, be fast, very fast and preferably a V8 (no replacement for displacement!)
-$45k budget (new or used is ok as long as it is not older than 2-3 years, less than 20k miles, and still has a warranty)
-Not really fond of anything else out there other than the V
-Worried the V is on its way out
-Any other comparable options out there I haven't thought of?
-What do?!? :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Other cars to look at on the used market with a V8 and some level of performance and luxury ... you could look at a Jaguar XJ. Not saying that you would like it, and it isn't super car fast like the V, but it is out there at the price.

Technology is a double edge sword. It isn't getting the newest for me; it is getting the right technology. The V is nicely equipped and more to the point, intuitive to use. You can't say that about any of the Germans. I also believe that the Caddy is more reliable than the Germans in its electronics.

As for driving and what you have owned, nothing is going to feel right like the V. It applies power like an American car, has a smooth ride for a heavy super car, but it handles better than the German competitors. It corners with serious competence.

Looking at the spy shots of the '14 CTS, the V2 is probably going to remain the style leader for the model. It looks like the new CTS is going to be softer and more mainstream.

The new CTS will most probably have the Cue system, and just speculation, I would guess electronic gauges. The interior will be more cutting edge while the exterior will be softer, I would guess. In short, I wouldn't worry about the head turn effect. I think that will still be there with the V2 no matter what happens.

I can see wanting a 4 door with little ones. I have a 3 year old, and there was no way to have a coupe with a large infant. At 3, he is climbing in and out of the seat by himself, which he loves, so we have my wife's Mini back on the road, but until then, it was all my car for the kid.

That's all I've got on the subject. Happy car hunting!

#3 ·
The next CTS-V will probably be out in 2015. So yes, the current V is on its way out, and the tech is from 2008. But I don't find it to be bad at all, sure the nav is kind of slow and could be better, but it works fine. The suspension and handling in the V is absolutely, positively top notch, not even matched by the M5. The LSA engine is awesome, it's a big supercharged V8.

There is no comparable car to the CTS-V when price is factored into the equation. And when I say no comparable car, I mean NONE. The M5 is its closest competitor, but it costs at least $30k more and even the new one doesn't handle quite as well or feel quite as sharp. Honestly if you're used to driving a goat, the way the V handles is going to blow your mind. It's unreal, I've had mine for a year now and I'm still amazed by how it feels sometimes. It's not go-kart fast like a Miata, but it's stable and controlled all the time, with really good steering feel and less body roll than you'd expect from something this heavy.

It's the whole package that makes it worth it, it has the best ride/handling combination out there, and then there's that monster V8 up front. It really is the closest you can get to driving a 4-door Corvette. It sounds like you've done your research, and you came to the same conclusion I think a lot of us did.

The V is never going to be a head turner because like the M5, in essence it is a sleeper by design. But I like sleepers, and if you want the most outrageous sleeper of them all, get the CTS-V wagon. :D IMO, the CTS-V is still one of the best 4-door cars you can buy, period. It's absolutely the best if you factor in the price, there are no other 4-door cars that can run as fast as high 11s stock for less than $70k. Or run the Nurburgring in less than 8 minutes.

IIRC, there are a few people here who have gone from a goat to a V, maybe they'll chime in with more specifically relevant information.

#4 ·
Appreciate the quick replies and even moreso your opinions on the subject. I truly feel like the car is for me, but I always like to do my homework. Especially on a large purchase like a car, it's important for me to go into it with eyes wide open. What you've both said pretty much sums up my take on the car, that there is no real competition. For the money, there is no other car out there that compares. I'm still interested to hear more, especially any negatives about the car.

My next move will be to test drive a few other "options" just so I can have piece of mind even though I'm pretty confident in the direction I'm going to go. My friend who is into cars as much as me has found a few cars to test drive including a lightly modded, fully loaded S4, a Jeep SRT8 (which I absolutely love, but don't need 2 SUVs in the house and they're also a bit out of my price range) and a couple others.

P.S. I did see the '14 CTS spy shots and I'm not feeling the softer look, nor do I want to wait over a year for the new V.

#5 · (Edited)
Gootz said:
Looking for some honest input here because I'm finally in the market to buy a new car have been leaning towards the V for a while. I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding the V from an overall pros/cons perspective. What I mean is things like personal experience, stuff you've read, its relevancy to current auto technology in general and comparable vehicles, etc. Also need some input on my current situation. If you don't want to read entirety below (apologies for the novel :suspense:) I've got cliffs at the bottom. Thanks in advance.

Long Version:

Back story:
I've been into cars my whole life. Ever since I was a little kid I always LOVED the sound of an American V8. I'm the kind of guy who researches almost everything before making a purchase, but am decisive enough to tell at first glance if I truly like what I see. My first V8 was a Fox Body 5.0 Mustang I completely modded. As I've grown up, my needs have changed from being ok with a less than reliable vehicle that is loud enough to set off car alarms to needing something more practical I can take my family around in (safely) and still go 0-60 sub 5 seconds. I parted with the 5.0 to buy a brand new '06 GTO which I still drive to this day. The moment I saw the GTO I knew I would get one.

Currently:
After almost 7 years and 65k miles on the clock I'm finally ready to move onto something new. As soon as I saw the V I had the same feeling I did when I first saw the goat. I just couldn't (financially) justify buying one at that time, so I decided to wait, see how I could better use my money and also wait until the V depreciated in value. I want to sell the goat because I have some back problems which the M6 exacerbates, I have a daughter (and am working on #2) so it's a PITA to get her out for school everyday and lastly I want to avoid any costly maintenance and repairs (since she's getting up there on the odo and age).

A major problem I see is that the (current model) V is in it's 5th year of production and appears like it's on its way out. From a technology perspective it doesn't feel like it's ahead of the curve at all. Cadillac is launching new models and not giving much attention to the CTS(V) anymore and I'm not sure if it's a head turner anymore either (this isn't that important, but it's definitely a nice-to-have).

The catch is that there really aren't any other options out there which can compete with the V. The Audi S4 is way too slow for me (and is a V6), I'm not a fan of BMW so the M3 is out, I like MBs even less so the C63 is out and I can't think of anything else that has 4 doors, but still has enough power to make me content. And I don't want to get something I have to mod in order to satisfy my speed and handling desires. So there's my predicament for you. Should I just go with my gut and enjoy the V? Is there another comparable option out there I'm not thinking about? Curious to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Cliffs:
-Want to get a new car
-Has to have 4 doors, handle well, be fast, very fast and preferably a V8 (no replacement for displacement!)
-$45k budget (new or used is ok as long as it is not older than 2-3 years, less than 20k miles, and still has a warranty)
-Not really fond of anything else out there other than the V
-Worried the V is on its way out
-Any other comparable options out there I haven't thought of?
-What do?!? :confused:

*Here you go, buy an extended warranty and have it shipped... Still within your budget. :)

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2009_Cadillac_CTS-V_176337626_8

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2011_Cadillac_CTS-V_177584261_20

#8 ·
Thanks! Why is the second one so cheap?!? Did I miss something?

If you are thinking suv go drive a x5m BMW they Are very nice. Little over 50k for one with less than 20,000 on it. I like the s4 a lot also have driven quite a fue of them. Now the auto shifts so fast and maches revs. Sounds cool even for a v6. And it's all wether friendly.
Definitely don't want another SUV. If I were to get one it would be the Jeep SRT8. Will test drive the S4 and some others.
Negatives? Um... hmm. :D

Well no matter how good a car is, there's always going to be some negatives, and sometimes it's dependent on who you talk to. Different people have different tolerances for things. Like you, I did a lot of research, and it's really never stopped. Here's the feeling I have about the car in general, based on everything I've learned and experienced so far:

The engine, steering, transmission, chassis, suspension, brakes and the way they all work together is absolutely, completely world class. In fact it's so world class that it's almost out of character for Cadillac. It's almost literally unbelievable. This is demonstrated by the V's fastest 4-door record on the nurburgring, and how it consistently matches or exceeds its German rivals' performance not just in power tests, but in handling, grip, steering feel, and even the more subtle things like how it makes you feel when you drive it, how the power comes on underneath your foot, how the car goes where you point it and how it doesn't get unsettled over bumps. It's as much an engineering triumph because of how it all comes together as it is of the individual components.

Everybody expects the huge kick in the ass when you put your foot down, but very few people are ready for the way it takes corners, and that's the key to understanding why we all love the car so much. It's the sublime balance, especially when you get up into higher speeds. I attribute this to the engineers, the gearheads who refused to compromise and didn't leave any weak points in the system (except possibly the lack of a differential cooler).

The rest of the car, on the other hand, is just a regular CTS, which was made for accountants to twaddle to work in, usually in the slow lane with the blinker on. If there is anything to dislike about the CTS-V, that's where you'll find it. Obviously this was done to save money, and it worked because the CTS-V is one of the greatest performance bargains on the planet, but I wouldn't say it has a world class interior or materials on the inside. If you press on the plastic it's thin and it squeaks, there's nothing there that will truly blow you away. I wouldn't say it's cheap, the wood trim is nice and I like the soft-touch dash covering, but it's really not on the same level as Mercedes or Audi, IMO.

Let's just say the attention to detail and no-compromise attitude taken by the chassis, engine, suspension engineers was not matched by the guys who designed the rest of the car. It's not awful or anything like that, it's just not spectacular on the level of the mechanical side of it. Is the compromise worth it? Absolutely. You may decide you don't like the EZ-scratch piano black plastic, or the way the nav works, or the sort of convoluted process you have to go through to connect your iPhone and use voice commands, or any number of other little things, but at least in my case all of that fades away with judicious application of my right foot, the suspension in sport mode and a long sweeping on-ramp. And if you love driving, you'll probably feel the same way.

After a year in my V the only cars I lust over now are supercars on the order of the 458 Italia, the Aventador, the Zonda Huyarurahrya, because the V has all the "normal" cars trumped. Maybe you think I've gone a little bit overboard with it, but I've loved cars for all my life too. I've done a decent amount of track driving, I've gone to a corvette driving school, and the bottom line is that the V is very close to what you or I might call perfection in a daily drivable 4-door non-supercar. When you want to drive like a normal person and just get from A to B, it does that like a Cadillac. Smooth, quiet, comfortable. When you want to drive like Don Garlits and get from A to B in a cloud of tire smoke and a brain full of endorphins, it does that like a raging torque monster with a big V8 for a mouth. And when you want to drive like Jaques Villaneuve and get from A to B on some twisty coastline road, it does that like a tight, refined European GT car with none of the typically American body roll, numb steering or lack of balance that we've gotten accustomed to over the years.

This is all just my opinion and you can take that for what it's worth, but I'm sure there are others here that agree with me. The V isn't perfect, but it's closer than I've gotten in any other car, and I believe that's really saying something.
Thanks for the details and thoughts. It really sounds like, from (you) owners I've heard from so far and from what I've read, the V does not have any competition performance-wise at this price range and that the rest of the car (interior specifically) isn't anything special. I am going to go out for some test drives to confirm my thoughts, but it's looking more and more like I'll have a V in my garage sometime soon. The only thing that would postpone me getting one is I may be looking to buy a new house first.

#6 ·
If you are thinking suv go drive a x5m BMW they Are very nice. Little over 50k for one with less than 20,000 on it. I like the s4 a lot also have driven quite a fue of them. Now the auto shifts so fast and maches revs. Sounds cool even for a v6. And it's all wether friendly.

#7 ·
Negatives? Um... hmm. :D

Well no matter how good a car is, there's always going to be some negatives, and sometimes it's dependent on who you talk to. Different people have different tolerances for things. Like you, I did a lot of research, and it's really never stopped. Here's the feeling I have about the car in general, based on everything I've learned and experienced so far:

The engine, steering, transmission, chassis, suspension, brakes and the way they all work together is absolutely, completely world class. In fact it's so world class that it's almost out of character for Cadillac. It's almost literally unbelievable. This is demonstrated by the V's fastest 4-door record on the nurburgring, and how it consistently matches or exceeds its German rivals' performance not just in power tests, but in handling, grip, steering feel, and even the more subtle things like how it makes you feel when you drive it, how the power comes on underneath your foot, how the car goes where you point it and how it doesn't get unsettled over bumps. It's as much an engineering triumph because of how it all comes together as it is of the individual components.

Everybody expects the huge kick in the ass when you put your foot down, but very few people are ready for the way it takes corners, and that's the key to understanding why we all love the car so much. It's the sublime balance, especially when you get up into higher speeds. I attribute this to the engineers, the gearheads who refused to compromise and didn't leave any weak points in the system (except possibly the lack of a differential cooler).

The rest of the car, on the other hand, is just a regular CTS, which was made for accountants to twaddle to work in, usually in the slow lane with the blinker on. If there is anything to dislike about the CTS-V, that's where you'll find it. Obviously this was done to save money, and it worked because the CTS-V is one of the greatest performance bargains on the planet, but I wouldn't say it has a world class interior or materials on the inside. If you press on the plastic it's thin and it squeaks, there's nothing there that will truly blow you away. I wouldn't say it's cheap, the wood trim is nice and I like the soft-touch dash covering, but it's really not on the same level as Mercedes or Audi, IMO.

Let's just say the attention to detail and no-compromise attitude taken by the chassis, engine, suspension engineers was not matched by the guys who designed the rest of the car. It's not awful or anything like that, it's just not spectacular on the level of the mechanical side of it. Is the compromise worth it? Absolutely. You may decide you don't like the EZ-scratch piano black plastic, or the way the nav works, or the sort of convoluted process you have to go through to connect your iPhone and use voice commands, or any number of other little things, but at least in my case all of that fades away with judicious application of my right foot, the suspension in sport mode and a long sweeping on-ramp. And if you love driving, you'll probably feel the same way.

After a year in my V the only cars I lust over now are supercars on the order of the 458 Italia, the Aventador, the Zonda Huyarurahrya, because the V has all the "normal" cars trumped. Maybe you think I've gone a little bit overboard with it, but I've loved cars for all my life too. I've done a decent amount of track driving, I've gone to a corvette driving school, and the bottom line is that the V is very close to what you or I might call perfection in a daily drivable 4-door non-supercar. When you want to drive like a normal person and just get from A to B, it does that like a Cadillac. Smooth, quiet, comfortable. When you want to drive like Don Garlits and get from A to B in a cloud of tire smoke and a brain full of endorphins, it does that like a raging torque monster with a big V8 for a mouth. And when you want to drive like Jaques Villaneuve and get from A to B on some twisty coastline road, it does that like a tight, refined European GT car with none of the typically American body roll, numb steering or lack of balance that we've gotten accustomed to over the years.

This is all just my opinion and you can take that for what it's worth, but I'm sure there are others here that agree with me. The V isn't perfect, but it's closer than I've gotten in any other car, and I believe that's really saying something.

#9 ·
I'm new to this forum, but I have similar tastes. I just sold my 2006 GTO (red, 6m 52,000 miles) that I bought new in 2006. Been wanting a CTS V for about 8-9 months. I'm in Bakersfield , Cal. and I found the deal of the Century at Orange Coast Cadillac in Costa Mesa. I'm 66 years old and have grandkids I pick up after school sometimes. I wanted a CTS V Coupe in Crystal Red metallic, Recaro Seats and a 6-speed manual. They had a 2012 still in inventory that I had my eye on. Window sticker was $71,605, they were asking $68,888 on Autotrader.....to make a long story short....I offered $58,000.... they countered with $58,500.....SOLD. So if you are in SoCal, give Orange Coast a shout, maybe they can help you.

#11 ·
$58.5k?!?!? Congrats on the deal, enjoy. Was it still new?

If only Audi brought the RS4 to the USA.....

Did you think about the new Chrysler 300C SRT-8?

What about a slightly used Jaguar XF Supercharged or XF-R?

A used Mercedes E63 can be had for a reasonable price....

I have a X5M.. it is a BEAST and truly defies the laws of physics for a SUV... but it is not small by any means and does burn fuel like crazy if you drive it in a 'spirited' fashion. It can put a SRT8 Grand Cherokee to shame. If they were cheaper, I would have bought a Cayenne Turbo S instead (better interior).
I never really liked the 300C, it seems like it's trying too hard. It's not classy enough and it's pretty slow considering the power it makes. I definitely thought about the RS4, but the last model year was 2008. Not getting rid of my goat for a 2 year "newer" model of a car that is also slower. Being worried about the technology in the V, the RS4 is an abacus. :(

#10 ·
If only Audi brought the RS4 to the USA.....

Did you think about the new Chrysler 300C SRT-8?

What about a slightly used Jaguar XF Supercharged or XF-R?

A used Mercedes E63 can be had for a reasonable price....

I have a X5M.. it is a BEAST and truly defies the laws of physics for a SUV... but it is not small by any means and does burn fuel like crazy if you drive it in a 'spirited' fashion. It can put a SRT8 Grand Cherokee to shame. If they were cheaper, I would have bought a Cayenne Turbo S instead (better interior).

#12 ·
OP translation: "I wish the three-year-old CTS-V I can afford somehow had the latest gadgets." Me too, but it doesn't. So do you really have to go that fast on that budget or not?

If you just have to be faster than your current ride, there are a couple of lower-cost (over the remaining useful life)options for V8 chest-thumping:

Give the brand-new 300 SRT8 a look. Yes, it's still got that gangsta-made-good vibe, but we used to just call that American, and it's definitely improved. It's not V fast, but it's faster than your present ride, and the best new luxury car you can get on your budget that's on the right side of the 10lb/hp line.

Or wait for the Chevrolet SS, the closest thing to a re-up you can get. It should be a very good Chevrolet, with newer gadgets but a solidly middle-class interior and exterior.

Otherwise, buy one of the tech-laden 300hp midsize luxury sedans that everyone will understand, or buy the V you wished you could have bought a few years ago and satisfy your technology habit with a smartphone.

In other words, you're not missing anything -- the V is still the 800-lb gorilla.

As for styling, it may become dated but it will always be distinctive. The Germans are so oft-imitated their cars become bland with time.

Disclosure: I'm still on the fence between a Vagon and a C7

#13 ·
#16 ·
Big problem with that one is it's a branded title meaning it was wrecked and rebuilt. The warranty is thus voided and you have to get an aftermarket warranty. That makes me extremely nervous, especially since it's not local so I can't see it and drive it in person. Definitely appreciate you sharing the link with me though.

I wish they brought the 2013 RS4, RS6, and RS7 to the US.....

View attachment 103891
Definitely dig this. Sucks we don't have them here.

#17 ·
Gootz said:
Big problem with that one is it's a branded title meaning it was wrecked and rebuilt. The warranty is thus voided and you have to get an aftermarket warranty. That makes me extremely nervous, especially since it's not local so I can't see it and drive it in person. Definitely appreciate you sharing the link with me though.

Definitely dig this. Sucks we don't have them here.
Oh, how about option one then?

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2009_Cadillac_CTS-V_176337626_8

#18 ·
It's a pretty decent price, but not a great deal considering it's an 09. I'm going to look into it a little bit.

My ideal options are:

1. Sedan
2. 2011
3. Lower mileage (~under 15k)
4. Auto
5. Suede steering wheel and shifter
6. Recaro seats
7. Ultraview sunroof

I'm fairly flexible on color, but Thunder Gray is my fav followed by red then black. Interior color I prefer ebony, but titanium will work too. Any other additional features are fine, but not required.

#19 ·
Gootz said:
It's a pretty decent price, but not a great deal considering it's an 09. I'm going to look into it a little bit.

My ideal options are:

1. Sedan
2. 2011
3. Lower mileage (~under 15k)
4. Auto
5. Suede steering wheel and shifter
6. Recaro seats
7. Ultraview sunroof

I'm fairly flexible on color, but Thunder Gray is my fav followed by red then black. Interior color I prefer ebony, but titanium will work too. Any other additional features are fine, but not required.
Give these a look;

http://www.kutztowncars.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Cadillac-CTS_V--Fleetwood-PA/1868507153

http://www.blasiuschevycadillac.com...S_V_Sedan-CTS_V_Sedan-Waterbury-CT/1899582413

#21 ·
Really digging the first one, second one is nice too. I'll be giving both a call soon.

How much do the suede steering wheels and shift knobs usually run?

Gootz,
I'm not sure if you were already aware of this or not, but Cadillac does have a Certified Pre-Owned program. These vehicles have to have low mileage, be from recent model years, will have been through an inspection, and will come with some additional warranty on top of any remaining warranties already on the vehicle. You can browse for vehicles in your area by visiting http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/benefits.html.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service
Thanks Sarah. Please have Katie look into my emails too.

#20 ·
Gootz,
I'm not sure if you were already aware of this or not, but Cadillac does have a Certified Pre-Owned program. These vehicles have to have low mileage, be from recent model years, will have been through an inspection, and will come with some additional warranty on top of any remaining warranties already on the vehicle. You can browse for vehicles in your area by visiting http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/benefits.html.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

#22 ·
We've had an 09 CPO that we bought in Dec. 11. My wife doesn't drive it much, but when I do it always puts a grin on my face. It is really a very good blend of good ole American muscle and outstanding handling. The handling is so good, I'd wager that the majority of owners never get past 75% of its cornering ability. It scares the siht out of them because it handles so well for a big car. I had ours out one time with a friend on a ride through the mountains. I'd bet I wasn't past 50% cornering and he was screaming at me to slow down. Bottom line - as far as performance, you won't be disappointed.

Where you may be disappointed is build quality. Many have blower rattles, sun roof creaks and diff noises. (we don't, but we have less than 10k on the clock) and keeping fuel in the tank. The interior is nice enough particularly if you get the Recaros, but it is not in the same league as my Benz. The stereo is only mediocre. Interior and trunk space are small for a large car. Blind spots are large. The Bluetooth is basic at best with no real address book and no streaming audio.

Be prepared to make friends with a gas station owner. You'll be seeing him a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.