Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped off to buy spirits for the holidays, and treated myself to the annual bottle of single malt scotch and Evan Williams 1783 small batch Kentucky sour mash.
The EW is for medicinal purposes only and I take a snort or two just to steady my nerves. Sometimes I get so steady that I don't move for an hour or two. ;)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,721 Posts
EW 1783 (the old #10 brand) has been my go-to bourbon for many years. Good hooch. Distilled by Heaven Hill.

Try a 1.75L jug of Evan Williams egg nog slugged with an extra 8 ounces of mixed bourbon, CC whisky, brandy, rum.

Scotch - Balvenie 12 or 15, depending upon how wealthy you are. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is no slouch either.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup. I love my egg nog with generous amount of EW. I'm not big on rum; and brandy isn't readily available here. To get a decent selection of brandies I'd have to drive about an hour. Word on the grapevine is there is a new Specs going up only 15 minutes away.

·
Administrator
67,721 Posts
When you're "fortifying" store-bought 24 - 30 proof egg nog the LAST thing you want to use is "decent" hooch.

Basic 80 poof bourbon, cheap amber rum, cheap whisky, and maybe cheap (Christian Brothers) brandy. Those are the traditional additives for any egg nog, with plain whisky being the workhorse by volume - the rest are solely for flavor. Fresh grated nutmeg, of course. Nutmeggers in Amazon maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. I do enjoy a good eggnog but I'm not big on nutmeg. As for single malt Scotch, the closest liquor store is half an hour away and they only have 2-3 brands.

·
Administrator
67,721 Posts
I have one of those old Listerine quart bottles shaped like an hourglass - each fall I refill it with my measured egg nog liquor combination of bourbon, Canadian whisky, brandy, and rum. Clear-taped to the bottle is a computer printed label - Egg Nog Fluid. Even though the commercial Pennsylvania Dutch egg nog and the Evan Williams egg nog are mixed to 23 - 30 proof I like to "fortify" my samples. That, with a dusting of fresh grated nutmeg, and I'm in business.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Making the eggnog run on Friday. And yes, I like it "fortified". I've already got the EW bourbon so I'll be picking up the brandy. I don't drink rum, ever, since a really huge hangover in the early 70's. Some drinks just aren't the same after you've seen then going down, then coming back up.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was in the next county today and snagged a bottle of Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog, and plan to fortify it per your instructions. Perhaps a cup or two while I'm searing the pork tenderloin tomorrow.

·
Administrator
67,721 Posts
Surprised that the PD stuff makes it down/over to Texas. It's good hooch, probably a skrillion calories per serving....

It's 10 AM here, preparing a 4# rib roast for the Weber. 6 ounces of fortified EW egg nog at the ready. Fresh nutmeg.

Merry, merry, everyone.

81Qkv81AkOL._AC_SX355_.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to one source a 1/2 cup serving is 220 calories (140 from fat) But who is going to drink just a 1/2 cup? BTW, my pork tenderloins turned out perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts