Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have aquired a visitor this winter in my crawl space,sounds like
a mouse, rat or squirrel, I have tried some old style traps but no luck, has anyone tried one of those electric ones that claim to send out a noise
that the rodents cant stand? Any other suggestions?.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
Yeah I've got those electric ones and haven't had mice since I put them in. The only problem is they block an outlet.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually my wife is a cat person, we have had cats for years,none of'them have been any good as mousers though.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've got those electric ones and haven't had mice since I put them in. The only problem is they block an outlet.[/quot

I see you have more than one, are they only effective for so many
square feet, my house is about 1600 sq. ft.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I'm not really sure how big my place is. It's a three story apartment; basement, ground, top floor. I only have one in the basement and one on the ground floor. If I remember correctly, the packaging said one unit was enough to protect up to 2000 square feet. I think the one I have is called "Pest-A-Cator 2000."

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really sure how big my place is. It's a three story apartment; basement, ground, top floor. I only have one in the basement and one on the ground floor. If I remember correctly, the packaging said one unit was enough to protect up to 2000 square feet. I think the one I have is called "Pest-A-Cator 2000."
I was going to ask you if you know the name, I googled it and there is
a 1000 model and a 2000 model, 1000 sq.ft. and 2000 sq.ft. coverage,
thanks for your help, I will see if I can find one in Canada.

·
Registered
1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4
773 Posts
The best mouse trap I have seen is simply a:

5 gallon plastic Bucket filled halfway with water (if in a place it could freeze use antifreeze
A straightened wire hanger
An old prescription pill bottle
A 2” x 4” long enough to make a ramp from the ground to the lip of the pail

Now drill two small holes in the pail close to the top big enough for the wire hanger to go through. Then drill a hole in the cap of the pill bottle and the bottom of the pill bottle.
Run the wire through the pail and the bottle so that the pill bottle is suspended in the middle of the bucket.
Now smear peanut butter on the pill bottle

Now put it near a wall in the area that the mice are running through with the 2” x 4” as a ramp. The mouse will go up the ramp and leap for the peanut butter, The pill bottle will spin and the mouse will fall in the water and drown. This trap works over and over without needing to be reset.

~HJ

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,691 Posts
The best mouse trap I have seen is simply a:

5 gallon plastic Bucket filled halfway with water (if in a place it could freeze use antifreeze
A straightened wire hanger
An old prescription pill bottle
A 2” x 4” long enough to make a ramp from the ground to the lip of the pail

Now drill two small holes in the pail close to the top big enough for the wire hanger to go through. Then drill a hole in the cap of the pill bottle and the bottom of the pill bottle.
Run the wire through the pail and the bottle so that the pill bottle is suspended in the middle of the bucket.
Now smear peanut butter on the pill bottle

Now put it near a wall in the area that the mice are running through with the 2” x 4” as a ramp. The mouse will go up the ramp and leap for the peanut butter, The pill bottle will spin and the mouse will fall in the water and drown. This trap works over and over without needing to be reset.

~HJ
Man I remember doing that in Maine at this one house... my god, so many mouse. It wasn't uncommon to find 3 or 4 just floating in the bucket when you woke up the next day.

Serious, serious mouse issues.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
The best results I got was with glue or sticky traps. I got 13 within a matter of weeks. When the mice were caught I removed them by pouring vegetable oil on them and dropping them into a bucket. Then I had the choice to dispatch them or set them free in a field nearby. (depending on my mood)

Most recently I've used the basic, standard little spring style mouse traps and have caught 6 with them. They kill the mice quickly and can be placed in unobtrusive spots throughout the house.

Placement can be crucial to success, mice and rats like to run along the walls so placing them against the baseboards is a good choice.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
You could fill the house with hungry snakes.
I had a friend in P.A. who did that...

He had two Royal Pythons and no money for feeder mice. Coincidently his basement was infested with rodents, so he locked the two snakes in the basement and let the problem sort itself out.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The best results I got was with glue or sticky traps. I got 13 within a matter of weeks. When the mice were caught I removed them by pouring vegetable oil on them and dropping them into a bucket. Then I had the choice to dispatch them or set them free in a field nearby. (depending on my mood)

Most recently I've used the basic, standard little spring style mouse traps and have caught 6 with them. They kill the mice quickly and can be placed in unobtrusive spots throughout the house.

Placement can be crucial to success, mice and rats like to run along the walls so placing them against the baseboards is a good choice.
Actually, I have never seen any sign of them in the main house, I just hear them in the crawl space, I guess I lucked out that way.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado
1,023 Posts
For the rats that you can't get to, take a cantaloupe and cut in half. Mix in rat poison pellets and forget it; just make sure you have no other animals that can get to it. The rat poison make the little bugger thirsty so he he goes in search of a water source and usually doesn't die some place you can't get to him. The cantaloupe should be good for about a week or so (longer in cooler weather), but the more it rots the better, they love it. They come out of hiding to find it.

One night I was watching tv and I saw a rat running from the bedroom to the bathroom and back again. He did this many times so I propped a piece of plywood against the wall and put a piece of bread in front of it and sat across the room with my pellet gun. When he stopped, I shot him in the eye and killed him. Not a practical mouse trap, but the first (and only)time I got to go varmint hunting in my house.:bouncy:

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Actually, I have never seen any sign of them in the main house, I just hear them in the crawl space, I guess I lucked out that way.
They work there as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts