Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I currently own a 99 Cadillac STS with the factory BOSE audio system. I recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-P940MP Premiere MultiCD headunit and am looking to install that. I took the car to Tweeter and they claimed that installing it could cause the car to malfunction with the computer chips (or some bogus excuse like that). Is this true? Is there really no way to install this without a risk to the car? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There is a way to install it without damage to the car. They sell a wiring harness that allows you to put the factory headunit in the trunk. You MUST keep the headunit connected to the car though, because it is part of a data circut that controls numerous things in your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The thing you need to get is a GM databus bypass harness. It still lets the databus gather info, but you dont need to have the stock radio in your trunk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same prob sith my 99 STS. The installer says that I need to put my deck in the trunk. I also read on the Bypass harness... thats mainly for Alarms and stuff isn't it? or will that work for an after market Stereo install? I am changing that Speakers, Amps and Head Unit. but stck on this thng about Deck in the trunk... Very Frustrating! please Help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 99 STS and got a Panasonic in dash dvd screen put in. it was a huge headache but now that I have it, it was worth every bit of it. my stock deck is in my center console under a dummy plate that looks real clean. the guys i took it to had a good reputation but didnt know what they were doing with my car. when they took the stock deck completely out, everything in the car started blinking. it is something about the computer runs through the deck and when it was taken out it made a bunch of messages come up on the dash, service air bags, the e-brake wouldnt come up... Make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. the original in dash i bought from them ended up overheating because they wired it wrong (at least thats what they told me), at least i got a newer and better deck out of the deal...i made some posts about this before that described it a little more, search my name for them...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you know what Harness did they use to put the deck in the Back or Console? how does everything run now? did u change the Amps and speakers too or not? There is suppose to be a Harness now that will alow you to change the deck without having the original in the Trunk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
caddyg said:
Do you know what Harness did they use to put the deck in the Back or Console? how does everything run now? did u change the Amps and speakers too or not? There is suppose to be a Harness now that will alow you to change the deck without having the original in the Trunk.
Don't know what the harness was, I know that the Northern Cali JL Audio rep, i think his name was Cardoza or something like that, said there was a harness that let you take the stock radio out but (this was a few months ago so I am trying to remember) it was for earlier model Sevilles. They had to customize a face plate also because they could not find a kit for it. Everything is good now. I plan on changing the mids to mb quarts and i took out the stock 12" and put in two JLW0 10s. I have two 15s but I need an amp to push em. the stock bose amp did have to come out, i think they said it was a 10 channel amp. I still have it. all the spearkers except for the 10s run off the deck i believe. when they wired it wrong (if that is what really happened), my deck kept overheating and shutting off. when they fixed the wiring problem, it did it again. thats when they took it to panasonic and since it was an old model they bumped me up to the new on, i think its the VAD 7300 or 9300. anyway, the deck was a tight fit so they thought that it was getting too hot where the wires were so they added tiny fans inside and since then i have had no problems. One more thing, i cannot use my steering wheel controls anymore. i read in an old post on here that there is some kind of adapter or something that makes it easy to wire...you might want to go to cardomain.com and try to email some of the STS owners, there are a lot of people with a lot of custom audio work so they have probably learned a few things on the way too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
STS_spinnin