Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Importing a V

been doing some research and followed RIV guide, and the way I see it to import a V into Canada one would have to pay Excise tax (gas guzzler) on a V, if i was to import a vette,wouldn t have to as they meet the restrictsons of 7.7L /100 km. the V doesn"t qualify i think. any input would welcome

Excise tax (Green Levy) on fuel inefficient cars
This tax is applicable to vehicles purchased in Canada or imported from the United States and is applied to a passenger vehicle if it:

•is a car, SUV or van with a weighted average fuel consumption of 13 litres per 100 km or higher, and
•was put into service after March 19, 2007.
Vehicles are taxed, based on weighted average fuel consumption, at the following rates:

•At least 13, but less than 14 litres per 100 km: $1,000
•At least 14, but less than 15 litres per 100 km: $2,000
•At least 15, but less than 16 litres per 100 km: $3,000
•16 or more litres per 100 km: $4,000

Thanks Al

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, it does qualify for the gas guzzler. $2000.

Playing dumb at the border can sometimes help here (or so I've heard :thumbsup:), as it's up to the agent to identify your vehicle amongst the various models that get the Gas Guzzler. And only the automatics get it. The sticks don't.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would be tough to play the dumb thing i think, as the transport company would have to clear it into the country.

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon
1,348 Posts
Just make sure you get one with the silver calipers so it will be more believable that it's the V6 motor.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe Blk Diamond Edition
107 Posts
everything you need to know: www.riv.ca
Clear it yourself at the border, CBSA is usually too busy for specifics like guzzler tax
Pick a smaller crosssing and stay away from Detroit/Windsor, way too busy with commercial traffic

·
Registered
2010 CTS V Sedan M6
17 Posts
As mentioned and according to the chart you can find on the CRA's website of all places, the automatic version of the V gets the $2000 penalty while the manual trans cars are nothing. Good enough for me as I want only want a Tremec equipped Sedan anyhow.

Here is the latest one from the CRA which is for the 2012 model year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl64/list/lst_vh-2012-eng.pdf

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Yes, it does qualify for the gas guzzler. $2000.

Playing dumb at the border can sometimes help here (or so I've heard :thumbsup:), as it's up to the agent to identify your vehicle amongst the various models that get the Gas Guzzler. And only the automatics get it. The sticks don't.
Manuals have gas guzzler, just not as big...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Manual
152 Posts
I imported my 2009 stick through the Pacific Border crossing in Vancouver area. No gas guzzer tax and even the import registration tax was less than the 12% they charge in BC so I'm not sure how they calculated it but it made me happy.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap
244 Posts
Re: Importing a V

Manuals have gas guzzler, just not as big...
Jim, maybe Canada is different from USA, for the manual the tax is zero dollars:
Model Engine # of cylinders engine Fuel Transmission CITY F.C. HWY F.C.size (L) Type L/100 KM L/100 KM Weighted Fuel consumption L/100km Fuel Inefficient Vehicle Tax
CTS-V 6.2 8 Z S6E 17.7 10.7 14.55 $2,000
CTS-V 6.2 8 Z M6+ 14.9 10.5 12.92 $0

HTH,
George

1 - 20 of 25 Posts