Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Catera
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm quite new to this board but I had a few questions that I could not answer with a search. First off, I am a student at Coastal Carolina University and I'm new to the world of cateras. I have owned several highly modded turbo cars(Talon TSi, Turbo II RX7, and a turbo civic) and I have always made sure that my vehicles could be readily tuned and modded. On these vehicles I was able to run a Apexi Power FC on the RX7, and chipped P28 w/hondata in the civic, and a AFC II w/ datalogger on the talon in order to alter timing,monitor knock sensor activity, and other parameters that must be watched when properly modifying any forced induction vehicle. Since the purchase of the catera a week ago (1998 model), I have seen a few used steinmetz opel omega superchargers I would love to try on my car, but I can not locate any sort of ECU tuning tool in order to safely boost the car. I would like to know from anyone with first hand experience, what do you run in order to tune your catera??
So to list, I would like any information on:
1-proper injectors for a catera on 4.5-6 psi
2-ECU tuning/ datalogging options

I am not seeking anything crazy from this vehicle, I would just like 250-280hp SAFELY. I am aware of the fairly high compression ratio so boost will have to stay very low, but if it is eventually boosted, I would like to do it the correct way the first time. I know this is not the kind of vehicle that is readily modified here stateside, but I figured I would test the waters out and see what options are realistically out there. If there are no tuning options, I will probably just settle on bolt-ons and a small shot of nitrous (40-50hp jet max). Thanks everyone for reading this rather long post and I am looking forward to the replies.

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
I am yet to find any source of Catera ECU tuning. Basically, it's non-existent. Boosting it is a rare occasion. I would stay naturally aspirated. You can get mild heads, some cams, throttle body- all of which would come from UK. Exhaust has to be done custom, but it's not too bad. And there's some other stuff you can mess with yourself. Oh, and a 50 shot upwards of 3500-4000rpm is quite fun ;)

·
Registered
1998 Catera
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gracias for the response. I guess it will just have to remain all motor as I will never boost an engine with just an FMU to control fuel. The 50shot will happen once the wideband o2 is installed and I can get an idea of the stock tune of the car. I'll look into the cams and see what the lift is like, I had HKS 272's in the Talon and I was really pleased with the power gains up top.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
If you are up for a swap you can thorw in a Toyota 2JZ-GTE motor and run any stand alone system you can find... or whatever is used on the supras...

THe motor fits with new engine mounts... the trans fits in the tunnel, so you just need a custom driveshaft and a GTO diff...

Otherwise try contacting STeinmetz and see what they used for the Supercharger kit...

There was a sweedish company that ran a remote mounted Turbo good for ~4psi... and I am guessing 250-260hp... more on the safe side,

THe car has a healthy 3800lbs, so if you can find a way to drop some of that weight... run some light weight wheels, you will be quite happy...

Good luck...

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Beware of "chips". The ones on ebay are just a resistor to fool the computer into thinking that the engine needs to warm-up so it enriches the mix. No real power boost, just wastes more gas. This is just one of many.

click

PS: The Omega uses a different ECU so none of the British performance chips (the real deal) work on the Catera. Don't know about any German ones. Can't read the lingo.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I just remembered about a shop in GB that sold performance intake/throttle body kits for the Omega. Naturally aspirated but maybe they'll work with the Catera's ECU. All it'll take is an email to find out.

click

You can also swap the 3.0L for a 3.2L from the '04 CTS. Brand spanking new and it'll work with the Cat's ECU. You have to move some 3.0 components to the 3.2 but everything fits.

click

Something else. Saab turbocharged the L81 V6 in some models. Try looking into that. They used a 2.8 version of the engine and lowered the compression. It's also turned 90 degrees for FWD use but a smart guy like you can overcome those hurtles. The Saab ECU might even swap over and still talk to the Catera's BCU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts