Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, you may want to add this to sticky, I'll leave it up to you...

Hey guys, I'd been having a strange electrical issue with my 2001 Catera that would flash all of the transmission indicator lights if I placed the car into R, N, D, or 3 and only work correctly in P 1 and 2. It would throw the car into limp mode because the car didn't know what gear it was supposed to be in, however, if I hit a big bump or slammed the brakes on the indicator lights would flicker. I searched high and low, thinking it was a loose ground and finally traced the problem back to the small fuse box that sits on top of our battery. Here's what you need to do to make sure this problem (or worse) doesn't happen on your Catera:

1.) Remove the 80-amp fuses after disconnecting your negative battery cable.
2.) Notice that the metal prongs of the fuse are highly corroded. (Yours WILL be corroded because all three of my Cateras ranging from a 1998 to a 2001 were).
3.) Take a Dremel with a sanding attachment and get these sanded back down to shiny metal (not too much because you only want to remove the corrosion here, not get deep into the metal and possibly make the prong too thin to make good contact. (An alternative to this is replacement of the fuses.)
4.) Put the fuses back in and reconnect your negative battery cable.

Note, if you want to take the extra time you should probably also clean out the contacts within the fuse box that the fuses plug into, but I didn't and the problem seems to be solved.

This would also be a great time to replace your positive battery terminal if you haven't already, this will also avert many weird electical problems before they start since we know that the stock terminal corrodes to the point of mega-high resistance on the positive starter/alternator line. I completely replaced my starter/alternator/battery cable on the positive side because the crappy factory wire is undersized as it is, but you should be fine with just a terminal change as long as you can get the stock wire down to some non-corroded good bare wire to go into the new terminal.

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
This would also be a great time to replace your positive battery terminal if you haven't already, this will also avert many weird electical problems before they start since we know that the stock terminal corrodes to the point of mega-high resistance on the positive starter/alternator line. I completely replaced my starter/alternator/battery cable on the positive side because the crappy factory wire is undersized as it is, but you should be fine with just a terminal change as long as you can get the stock wire down to some non-corroded good bare wire to go into the new terminal.
where do you suggest getting a replacement terminal? I believe there are 2 accessory wires on there right? The ones at autozone seem kinda cheap.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I actually used the Duralast Gold 72" 2-gauge from AutoZone. It was a bit too long, so I think you could get away with maybe 5-6" less if they have one around that size. The cable going to the small fuse box I simply attached the the side where the bolt clamps down, and there is a 12-gauge lead coming off of the terminal that I put a quick disconnect on and attached to the ECU power lead. Seems to have worked perfectly.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Also use electrical grease on the connections as that will further improve the electrical contacts between the different components!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts