Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep my story short. My father died & left behind a driveway full of junky '80s vehicles, and now I have to get rid of them. I know of a junkyard where I can get $50 a car, but thought I might do better selling them for parts or whatever on eBay. I listed most of them (9 cars) in the "Parts Cars" category about a month ago, for prices from $60 to $95. Two sold for parts and an '84 LTD was driven away (I priced it too low) but most got no bids. :annoyed:

While most of the cars really are pretty rusted away, my Mom would like to see her '84 Seville see a better fate. Our family had mostly had small rice burners since 1980. The Seville was her first big luxurious car in about 18 years, and she really loved it. Unfortunately after she had it for about a year it started to get all the classic 4100 series engine problems. Our family mechanic kept it running for a year or so after the problems got bad, but it got to the point where he said it just didn't make sense to keep pouring money into it. I asked him about an engine swap, but he said it wasn't a feasible / cost-effective option. (Maybe he just didn't want to bother with it.) The car was still running (just barely) when we parked it in our driveway, but it's been sitting now for about 4 years.

The car has never been in an accident & is pretty straight. The interior was nice & the paint still shines up. The tail light lenses have broken, & there's surface rust, but no rust-thru. The car was always comfortable & everything else ran well. I thought maybe someone would buy it for parts or to fix up, and listed it for just $80, with a couple good pictures. (http://tinyurl.com/rko5) I got a number of interested e-mailers, but no bids. :disappoin

I'd still hate to see a mostly nice Cadillac consigned to the junkyard, so now, I'm thinking of re-listing it one more time before it goes to the crusher for $50. One of the people that e-mailed me was a mechanic & said the Olds 307 engines are a drop-in replacement for the 4100, with no difficulties. He also said it was the same for all fwd Caddy's using the 4100 V-8 in those years. I am not mechanically inclined & would have to take his word for it, but it did get me thinking so I've spent some time researching online to find out what I could about possible engine swaps for the 4100/fwd Cadillacs. And that led me to these forums.

We have 4 other running cars right now, and a shortage of money, so we aren't considering doing an engine swap ourselves, but in relisting, I'd like to be able to provide some accurate information about what options are available. Maybe someone with the mechanical aptitude will be more willing to buy it if they can do a swap that's been done many times before. So my questions are -

1) Which engines can be swapped into an '84 Seville without too much difficulty for an average mechanic? Looking online it appears that the Olds 307, 350, and 403 will work. Would the Cadillac 4.5L or 4.9L be relatively easy bolt-ins? (past posts have mentioned that they're the same block as the 4100.) What other engines might be good candidates for a swap?

2) What might the approximate costs for such a swap be? I know this will be a range, as it may be possible to pick up a junk car with a good donor engine for $200-300, or someone might buy an engine for a grand, but I guess I'm asking the people on this forum is what you think would be a reasonable amount for someone to expect to put into a swap like this?

3) When someone's doing the swap themselves (assuming they are an experienced mechanic) how many hours will a job like this take? I'm sure it will vary with which engine they are swapping in. My question is assuming they already have another engine ready which doesn't need to be pulled out of a car.

Thank you for your help and opinions. It would just be a lot easier to send the car to the boneyard, but I'm hoping it can find a new owner who will enjoy it's cushy cruise down the road for a few more years.

Thank you,

Mike Margraf
Monee, IL

AOL Instant Messenger: MikeMargraf
Yahoo Messenger: MikeMargraf
ICQ #: 20187197

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
DrumCorpsNut said:
I'll try to keep my story short. My father died & left behind a driveway full of junky '80s vehicles, and now I have to get rid of them. I know of a junkyard where I can get $50 a car, but thought I might do better selling them for parts or whatever on eBay. I listed most of them (9 cars) in the "Parts Cars" category about a month ago, for prices from $60 to $95. Two sold for parts and an '84 LTD was driven away (I priced it too low) but most got no bids. :annoyed:

While most of the cars really are pretty rusted away, my Mom would like to see her '84 Seville see a better fate. Our family had mostly had small rice burners since 1980. The Seville was her first big luxurious car in about 18 years, and she really loved it. Unfortunately after she had it for about a year it started to get all the classic 4100 series engine problems. Our family mechanic kept it running for a year or so after the problems got bad, but it got to the point where he said it just didn't make sense to keep pouring money into it. I asked him about an engine swap, but he said it wasn't a feasible / cost-effective option. (Maybe he just didn't want to bother with it.) The car was still running (just barely) when we parked it in our driveway, but it's been sitting now for about 4 years.

The car has never been in an accident & is pretty straight. The interior was nice & the paint still shines up. The tail light lenses have broken, & there's surface rust, but no rust-thru. The car was always comfortable & everything else ran well. I thought maybe someone would buy it for parts or to fix up, and listed it for just $80, with a couple good pictures. (http://tinyurl.com/rko5) I got a number of interested e-mailers, but no bids. :disappoin

I'd still hate to see a mostly nice Cadillac consigned to the junkyard, so now, I'm thinking of re-listing it one more time before it goes to the crusher for $50. One of the people that e-mailed me was a mechanic & said the Olds 307 engines are a drop-in replacement for the 4100, with no difficulties. He also said it was the same for all fwd Caddy's using the 4100 V-8 in those years. I am not mechanically inclined & would have to take his word for it, but it did get me thinking so I've spent some time researching online to find out what I could about possible engine swaps for the 4100/fwd Cadillacs. And that led me to these forums.

We have 4 other running cars right now, and a shortage of money, so we aren't considering doing an engine swap ourselves, but in relisting, I'd like to be able to provide some accurate information about what options are available. Maybe someone with the mechanical aptitude will be more willing to buy it if they can do a swap that's been done many times before. So my questions are -

1) Which engines can be swapped into an '84 Seville without too much difficulty for an average mechanic? Looking online it appears that the Olds 307, 350, and 403 will work. Would the Cadillac 4.5L or 4.9L be relatively easy bolt-ins? (past posts have mentioned that they're the same block as the 4100.) What other engines might be good candidates for a swap?

2) What might the approximate costs for such a swap be? I know this will be a range, as it may be possible to pick up a junk car with a good donor engine for $200-300, or someone might buy an engine for a grand, but I guess I'm asking the people on this forum is what you think would be a reasonable amount for someone to expect to put into a swap like this?

3) When someone's doing the swap themselves (assuming they are an experienced mechanic) how many hours will a job like this take? I'm sure it will vary with which engine they are swapping in. My question is assuming they already have another engine ready which doesn't need to be pulled out of a car.

Thank you for your help and opinions. It would just be a lot easier to send the car to the boneyard, but I'm hoping it can find a new owner who will enjoy it's cushy cruise down the road for a few more years.

Thank you,

Mike Margraf
Monee, IL

AOL Instant Messenger: MikeMargraf
Yahoo Messenger: MikeMargraf
ICQ #: 20187197

I can answer the last question: Allow two weekends for an engine swap. And you don't have to be an MIT PhD to do it.

Don't know if an Olds 307 would bolt in to a Seville, but I had one in an 85 Buick LeSabre. Excellent engine, virtually no trouble, great power. Believe it is the same block as an Olds 455. That Seville with a 455 would be a real pavement-ripper!

Jeff

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you can bolt in a 403 Olds, a 455 will bolt up too. The 455 block is taller than the 350-403 block and a bit wider too, but the length and mounting bosses are the same. Toronados with 455s had special low rise intake manifolds to clear the hoods. My '79 Seville has a big block Olds engine and runs GREAT. I don't know how the '84 transmission would cope with the power.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
EastOfGratiot