Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1407 Posts

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,241 Posts
Bugsy, I merged the old, original "Post a pic of your Caddy" thread (dead for 10 years) into the current sticky thread "I'm showing you my Eldorado/Seville .........." up in the sticky threads group.

Stickies are at the top of each vehicle main threads page and are timeless info for all users of that forum.

·
1997 SLS
28 Posts
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here.

My father bought this 1997 Cadillac SLS back in about 2004 or 2005 for my mother; I think it had about 86,000 or so miles on it at the time.. It was never the right car for my mother though; she's always been a blue-collar worker who drove generic Fords, such as her current daily driver, a 2004 Ford Escape XLT with over 200K miles on it. She had zero interest in this car. So it sat out in front of my parent's house for years, usually under a tree, only being used when absolutely necessary, such as trips to their beach house.

My father has put thousands of dollars worth of work into it over the years, including about $4,000 just within the past two years (everything from new fuel injectors to a new battery). He also had the original cloth top replaced with a custom-made vinyl top because it was old and degraded. But mom never did more than the very basic upkeep such as oil changes, and it shows. I don't think she took it to a car-wash once in all those years.

Back in February, they graciously gave it to me after my father bought a 2015 Mercedes CLS550. By now, it has just over 123,000 miles on it. By my estimations, it needs about $1,000 or so worth of work; everything from a new windshield to a new AC Delco antennae. And despite having the computer upgraded in February, the brake lights (brake and ABS) still come on, as does the Traction Control light. The right-rear brake light is also full of condensation that can't be removed (I tried for 2 hours last night....) and needs to be replaced, but it still works.

Compared to the base-model Kia Rio I drove for 16 years, this thing is a Rolls Royce. And I absolutely love it.

I've been washing it when I can, three times so far since I've gotten it. Because the antennae won't go down all the way, as well as some minor rear bumper damage, I have to take it to a no-touch car wash. It's got leaves and dirt stuck in tight places, along with a little bit of mold and crud on the window seals, that I need to scoop out, and the engine itself looks awful and desperately needs a cleaning. The rims also need to be re-chromed, but I'm on a fixed income, and that is extremely expensive and time-consuming.

But considering it's 22 years old, I think it looks pretty good. These pictures are a couple weeks old, taken the day after I washed it. I used Black Magic Chrome Wheel Cleaner on the rims, followed by a coating of Armor All Extreme Tire Gel. I was extremely proud of the results!

0723191424[1].jpg

0723191424a[1].jpg

0723191424b[2].jpg

And here it is on a beach earlier this year after I made a trip up North.

0324191630.jpg

0324191630a.jpg

0324191630b.jpg

As much as I love this car, it's a massive money pit. My father is all but fed up paying for it, and I certainly can't afford much besides washing it and oil changes. But I'm going to drive it anyways. It's comfortable as hell, the leather is still in great shape and smells amazing, and it rides good (needs new tires eventually, though not urgently). I'm even joining the local chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, and I've got a drive-in planned this weekend.

Anyways.....😎

·
1997 SLS
28 Posts
How was the drive in? Any pictures?
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, sorry. My ankles are shot, and it's agony on certain days to walk around, so I did a lot of time sitting and talking with passerby's and neighboring car owners. I spoke with the guy next to me who drove his 2014 customized Mustang GT in about different cleaning agents, towels, and various car care (he suggested I power wash my engine to clean it....gonna run that by the folks in this forum in a separate thread).

It was great fun though! I'll try and take some pictures the next time I go; probably later this week.

For those of us in the Portland/SW Washington region, or if you are visiting from out-of-town, here's a list of drive-ins and shows:

PDX Car Culture

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a good evening for you. DO NOT power wash your engine. That high pressure water will go where you dont want it to go. It'll. cause erroneous errors to show as check engine. Ask how I know. Not sure of your solution to cleaning your engine bay but high pressure water in not your friend. I live in Cottage Grove I'll have to make it up your way and thanks for the list

·
1997 SLS
28 Posts
Sounds like a good evening for you. DO NOT power wash your engine. That high pressure water will go where you dont want it to go. It'll. cause erroneous errors to show as check engine. Ask how I know. Not sure of your solution to cleaning your engine bay but high pressure water in not your friend. I live in Cottage Grove I'll have to make it up your way and thanks for the list
Thanks! Yeah, I've heard about people power washing their engines, but the Northstar is so complex, and I'm terrified of screwing something up. Thanks for the heads-up......looks like I'll have to just use some old fashion elbow grease and a lot of rags and engine cleaner instead.

That's cool to meet someone local! There is a Cadillac & LaSalle show coming up in Boring, Oregon this week; I don't have the date in front of me at the moment, I think it's the 22nd. It's on that list. $20 entry fee. I'm definitely going to that.

·
1997 SLS
28 Posts
Sounds like a fun day in Boreing. Probably won't make it to Portland for a while. When I do I'll hit you up.
I had no idea Cottage Grove was so far South; I thought it was just outside the Portland City Limits. 😲 LOL, tells you what I know about this region....

Send me a PM when you're up North, and we'll meet up. Coffee on me.👍

1381 - 1400 of 1407 Posts
About this Discussion
1.4K Replies
524 Participants
JF316