Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MORE LIKE 'POOR'SCHE

Seriously though, I'm thinking about it. I've looked at all the warnings, all the quirks, all the hazardously expensive repairs. It seems like most of what goes wrong happens during the warranty period, so by now (8-12 years, 60-100k) all of it has been ironed out or corrected.

Should I do it? Its one of the few major brands I haven't yet experienced. Looks like the nicest examples are in the gay-car capital of the universe, the SF Bay area. I'd like to spend under $10k.

The Saab isn't going anywhere. I'm worried what would happen to Ducky in the hands of a typical used car owner.

http://www.cheapsupercars.net/Boxster.jpg

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
I personally like Porsche! :D

But with less that 10K$ I am not sure you can find a Porsche in decent condition....

Do you have seen "Two and half men", season 2 episode 22? I suggest you watch it! :D That is fun.. In this episode Alan purchased (was given) a Porsche and the whole episode was about it. It is very funny!

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I did a couple of buyer's inspections on first-generation Boxsters. They did absolutely nothing for me. But I'm not a Porsche fan, so YMMV.

With the mid-engine, I think maintenance and repairs could get spendy real quick.

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
If it's what you like and can afford, I say go for it. I see more allure in a Miata for my personal taste though.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
You'd be surprised, there is a ton of nice ones out there for 8-10k with reasonable mileage.
Hum, right now I went and did a fast craigslist search (listed by owner to insure the minimum price) and to be honest all of Porsches in this price range were at least 15 years old, and with at least 100K miles on them. By the way, there were two newer ones with less miles on them, BUT in the body of advertisement I saw sentences like "it just needs a sensor" or "a simple fix, I do not have money to do it"!

At least in our area I could not find a good deal.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
?? The car came out in 1997.
I was searching "porsche", so my search included Boxster as well. So my search results stands correct, and it implies that there was no Boxster in our area in this price range!

UPDATE: I searched ebay, I could find this Boxster 97. It has reasonable age and millage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-PORSCHE-BOXTER-LOADED-JUST-SERVICED-MANUAL-/190428541816?pt=US_Cars_Trucks
It seems to be a nice car if there is no hidden problem!

The other Bosxters were mostly very expensive, or wrecked!

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
If it's what you like and can afford, I say go for it. I see more allure in a Miata for my personal taste though.
You'd get 97% of the shits and giggles with a second gen NB Miata for about 3% of the maintenance/repair cost of a 97-2000ish Boxster.

I can think of ONLY four things the Porsche has going for it over a 2nd gen Miata:

1. More trunk space
2. More horsepower, slightly quicker, unless you buy a factory turbocharged Mazdaspeed Miata, which is significantly quicker 2.5L motored Boxster
3. Better exhaust note
4. Bigger wheels/tires, which equals to more ultimate grip, not something you'd notice unless you're driving both cars past 7/10ths of the limit.

Reasons why I feel that the Miata is a much better car:

1. Better build quality- Miata has a glass rear window, Porsche is plastic. The Miata interior is very well built, and can be very luxurious with the wood wheel/shift knob in some of the top line models. The Porsche just feels unspeakbly cheap with lots of hard plastic.

2. Weight- Porshe 2900lbs, Miata 2350lbs

3. Maintenance costs. Shit doesn't break all that often in a Miata, they're generally considered one of the most reliable sports cars you can buy. When it does, parts are WAY WAY WAY cheaper.

4. Labor costs. Miatas are easy to work on, hell if I had one I would wrench on it myself. Mid-engined+German=$$$$ Even a simple problem like a sensor might require you to drop the motor on a Boxster, since that's the only way you can access the top of the motor.

5. Catastrophic engine failures- Boxsters are known for it, Miatas are not. New engines are to the tune of $6-10k for the Boxster.
http://www.piperboxster.com/Engines-failure.htm

6. Aftermarket parts- Huge aftermarket for Miatas, parts are reasonable. Turbocharging, premade roll bars/cages, every suspension part you can imagine, big brakes, hell people have even put v8's in them. Boxster aftermarket is considerbly smaller and parts are much more $$$

I really just don't want you to buy a total POS, which is the catergory I lump the 1st gen Boxster in. You can buy a much better built, better engineered, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, newer, lower mileage, better optioned car for the same $$$$ with a Miata.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I was searching "porsche", so my search included Boxster as well. So my search results stands correct, and it implies that there was no Boxster in our area in this price range!

UPDATE: I searched ebay, I could find this Boxster 97. It has reasonable age and millage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-PORSCHE-BOXTER-LOADED-JUST-SERVICED-MANUAL-/190428541816?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

We're willing to travel anywhere in the country for the most part Ben. There's several on Auto trader.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nah, I've found two dozen nationwide.

Miatas are too common, and me being obsessed with them for 17 years has caused them to become too familiar. Thus, the desirability is lower. The only Miata I want is a BRG or Starlight Mica NA, preferably 1.6L (with the short nose crank problem fixed). Closest alternative to the Boxster is the Honda S2000, but the JDM boy-racer image is unappealing, and the F-series motor borders on being annoying.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Buy one in a masculine color for the love of god. If you're thinking Porsche, how about an older 911 as well?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,024 Posts
If you can swing it and can find a decent one, you owe it to yourself to experience at least one Porkchop in life. Very much fun cars.......and they can be driven scary fast if the mood strikes.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Early Boxsters are known for rear main seal and intermediate shaft failures, but those problems were somewhat exaggerated by people being able to finally complain about stuff on the internet back when they first came out. Also the plastic shifter linkage on early '98-'00 models is flawed and can leave you without a reverse or 5th gear.

The non-S models are slow, find the best condition Boxster S you can. They're fantastic driver's cars, handle great, and have some balls. Some actually prefer how they drive over the 911 due to the mid-engine layout.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Early Boxsters are known for rear main seal and intermediate shaft failures, but those problems were somewhat exaggerated by people being able to finally complain about stuff on the internet back when they first came out. Also the plastic shifter linkage on early '98-'00 models is flawed and can leave you without a reverse or 5th gear.

The non-S models are slow, find the best condition Boxster S you can. They're fantastic driver's cars, handle great, and have some balls. Some actually prefer how they drive over the 911 due to the mid-engine layout.
That's going to limit him to a 2000-newer car. And that shall bust the budget.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Somehow, Jesda, I just don't see you enjoying a Boxer for very long. Miata, yes, Porsche no! But if you've got the yen and the bucks .... go for it while you are young and can enjoy all the advantages and can recover from any financial damage.

The only Porsche that ever turn me on is the 928 .... and even then the contemporary competitiion always won! I have known many folks who swear by Porsche ... and few that swear at them, but I was never sure it it was the car or the prestige that the owner perceived that was doing the trick!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts