Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I'm new to this forum. I had been a member of Ls1tech.com forum in the past, so I know a bit about the LS line motors and cars.

I currently drive a 2001.5 Audi s4 Bi-turbo.. fun car, but too many problems. I Think I'm getting over it and it's time to go back to domestic and REAL American hp. I had a modded 99 GMC Sierra with a vortec 5.3 with a STS rear mount turbo and Front mount intercooler. 43lb injectors 650 hp fuel pump, 22" rims, 14" Baer brakes, and a 4/6 drop. It made a little over 400rwhp and was a real fun project.

here's a few pics.

I'm considering getting rid of the Audi and getting a CTS-V.
as for the CTS-V:

I know I am going to most likely Supercharge it, new Rims, suspension upgrades, eventually the whole Deal(I'm never satisfied when it comes to my cars)...

I just wanted to ask around to get an idea what I'm getting myself into. What about getting a warranty??? will most places void my warranty when I mod the motor?? or is there ways around it?

How is the stock suspension and Brakes?? maybe just add sways?

I wanted to know what to look out for. Potential problems?? What to Get the car with and what NOT to Get the car with.

How are the transmissions?? I see most all are 6-speeds. how do they hold up to added power??... I have had transmission problems in all of my cars in the past.

I see there are differential problems as well.. what's the deal on this??

any other common mechanical issues?

any other input would be great.. Mod suggestions.. Enlighten me... thanks guys

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
First of all, can you elaborate on the "too many problems" with the S4? We're always comparing around here.

Secondly, the V in stock form stops about as well as you'd ever need and handles decently as is. Modifying the car (for me at least) with beefier sway bars and other suspension items is as much a hobby as anything else ... fun as heck, actually.

Third, whether you up the HP or whether you don't, the differential WILL fail ... sooner, later, but eventually. For around $6.5k, you can upgrade it so you'll never have to worry about it again. For less about 10% of that, you can protect it (from what I've heard) reasonably sufficiently from the driving styles of most drivers. Dealers are pretty good at replacing them with only mild mods, but that's up to a point and varies dealer to dealer.

Fourth, I've not heard about many tranny problems outside of an occasional, "I can't get into reverse" or "this shifter is a POS." Dealer can fix that first problem (clearance issue), and an aftermarket shifter will be one of your better mods IMHO.

Don't know if I addressed all your issues, but I do know the car is a blast. Wait'll you get that SC on it. The word, "beast," keeps coming to my mind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Buy mine... the wheels are similar and it will be up in the classifieds shortly.

I'm only getting rid of it because I'm leaving the country. Its a great car. I strongly suggest picking one up. When I get back I'll probably buy one again.

·
Registered
04 V Raven
1,384 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac CTS-V
197 Posts
Nice S4, I had an 00 and loved it, perfect interior, not something you can say for the V. good luck!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Third, whether you up the HP or whether you don't, the differential WILL fail ... sooner, later, but eventually.
I thought the certainty of failure is limited to the 2004 and 2005 models, but not necessarily applicable to the 2006 and 2007 models. (limiting "eventually" to 100k miles because ulitmately all parts fail.)

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
What's the deal with the silver V in Iowa?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
I thought the certainty of failure is limited to the 2004 and 2005 models, but not necessarily applicable to the 2006 and 2007 models. (limiting "eventually" to 100k miles because ulitmately all parts fail.)
Yeah, maybe I should temper my statement a bit. Definitely true of '04/'05 V's, though my '06 dif just got replaced about six weeks ago.

·
Registered
Audi S4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all, can you elaborate on the "too many problems" with the S4? We're always comparing around here.

Secondly, the V in stock form stops about as well as you'd ever need and handles decently as is. Modifying the car (for me at least) with beefier sway bars and other suspension items is as much a hobby as anything else ... fun as heck, actually.

Third, whether you up the HP or whether you don't, the differential WILL fail ... sooner, later, but eventually. For around $6.5k, you can upgrade it so you'll never have to worry about it again. For less about 10% of that, you can protect it (from what I've heard) reasonably sufficiently from the driving styles of most drivers. Dealers are pretty good at replacing them with only mild mods, but that's up to a point and varies dealer to dealer.

Fourth, I've not heard about many tranny problems outside of an occasional, "I can't get into reverse" or "this shifter is a POS." Dealer can fix that first problem (clearance issue), and an aftermarket shifter will be one of your better mods IMHO.

Don't know if I addressed all your issues, but I do know the car is a blast. Wait'll you get that SC on it. The word, "beast," keeps coming to my mind. :thumbsup:

well for starters, my s4 is the V6 Bi-turbo 2.7t motor. Not the V8. The s4's have tons of maintenance to them... TONS!... Not to mention all the electrical issues... every 50-60k, you have to upgrade the water pump, timing belt, plugs obviously, and most of the time, the turbo's blow by then(especially when you have the car chipped 250hp-stock jump to 315hp)... not to mention leaks in all the rubber hoses/boots gaskets, intercoolers, etc. They also come with Auxiliary water pumps which warp and then leak coolant. I went through two before I just took the thing out completely. All of them sensors that have to do with Temperature or A/F seem to always take a crap on these cars from the heat.... All s4's have multiple engine missfires ALL THE TIME..... what else?!?! i can go on.... Just go search the Audi forums.. I'm not racking on my car or on AUDI, just TONS of issues. It's definitely an extremely fun car to drive. Handles amazing with upgraded suspension and tires, and the brakes are comparable to a porsche.

The potential on those motors is Insane.. you just can't expect to get away with upgrades without meticulous maintenance.

Thanks for the input, I just want to go back to American. Much easier to work on and upgrades are far cheaper.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
well for starters, my s4 is the V6 Bi-turbo 2.7t motor. Not the V8. The s4's have tons of maintenance to them... TONS!... Not to mention all the electrical issues... every 50-60k, you have to upgrade the water pump, timing belt, plugs obviously, and most of the time, the turbo's blow by then(especially when you have the car chipped 250hp-stock jump to 315hp)... not to mention leaks in all the rubber hoses/boots gaskets, intercoolers, etc. They also come with Auxiliary water pumps which warp and then leak coolant. I went through two before I just took the thing out completely. All of them sensors that have to do with Temperature or A/F seem to always take a crap on these cars from the heat.... All s4's have multiple engine missfires ALL THE TIME..... what else?!?! i can go on.... Just go search the Audi forums.. I'm not racking on my car or on AUDI, just TONS of issues. It's definitely an extremely fun car to drive. Handles amazing with upgraded suspension and tires, and the brakes are comparable to a porsche.

The potential on those motors is Insane.. you just can't expect to get away with upgrades without meticulous maintenance.

Thanks for the input, I just want to go back to American. Much easier to work on and upgrades are far cheaper.
Sorry couldn't resist! Is this 'racking in your car'?

http://www.fuhnee.com/undressed-by-remote.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts