Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at an 05 STS: 93k miles, fairly good condition, but have a question about 2 specific issues. I did research as much as possible before posting this thread.

1: The factory headunit/computer audio cuts in and out, more out than in. It never loses power, but the audio doesn't work (including signal noise.) Navigation, and other settings work fine. I do realize that this is more than your standard headunit, and more of a computer/command center for the vehicle. I have no problem replacing it with a double din aftermarket headunit (crutchfield sells the dash kit, wiring harness, steering wheel control adapter, & adapter to allow signal light noise, etc through the headunit.) However, I do not want to relocate the factory unit to the trunk, & I am concerned about loss of features and have questions regarding those:

-Can the seat position remembering feature be cut off with the factory system, before removing it, & cause no further issues? I'm okay without this feature, power seats are enough for me.

-From research on here, there is a setting to adjust when the headlights cut on at specific light levels... can this be set and forgot as well?

-Are there any other issues/settings that I would lose functionality of?

2: The "secondary fuel sensor" is bad, according to the owner--The dealership told him this. He said when it gets below 1/8th of a tank, sometimes it has to be shut off, then cut back on? Having a little mechanical knowledge, tools, & a lift, I am thinking that the entire fuel pump assembly needs to be replaced, & this isn't a dealbreaker for me--does anyone have any comments/thoughts regarding this? If I had to drop the tank, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but has anyone made an "access plate" through the trunk/floorboard like I've seen on seville's & CTS?

Thank you guys (and gals) in advance for your information.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
The audio issue is probably the amp in the trunk, located on the driver side fender wall behind the liner, either the plugs are loose or it needs replacing, can be had on the cheap on eBay.

Not sure on your 2nd question though, no experience there.

:welcome:

·
Registered
2005 STS 3.6L V6
44 Posts
Brother,
I wouldnt mess with it unless you are getting a KILLER deal or you know someone that has parts and can do the work. These cars are awesome but when it comes down to repairs, it's enough to make a grown man cry. Best wishes to you and your decisions!!

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
The head unit contains many controls. If you remove it you will lose seat control which you mentioned, but you will also lose remote start as the microprocessor
in the head unit. The power amp is in the trunk and they use high level (several volts) of push pull signal to drive it. It is not signal/ground like home audio.
I have seen where people have removed it from the front and mounted in the rear to keep it talking to the LIN bus so as to maintain the functions. Way too
much trouble in my mind. Additionally, these units are VIN dependent. Which means you need a Tech 2 to swap them out. Cannot just buy one off ebay and
install it unless it has never been used. It learns the VIN on first power up. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
The head unit is NOT the issue, it's the amplifier or wiring to and from, probably the amp.

Since you have NAV you have the Bose 15.1 Studio Surround system, you'll need that specific amp, they can be swapped with zero programming in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I've never heard that you need to have the OEM radio installed to retain remote start... I know the radio allows you to adjust the configuration of if you have it on or off and if you want various things enabled by it but I would think those actually values are actually stored elsewhere in the car like the RIM for example and this is just the User Interface to get to those settings.

I'll have to see if I can remote start my car with the radio removed one of these days.

----------

If I had to drop the tank, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but has anyone made an "access plate" through the trunk/floorboard like I've seen on seville's & CTS?
Yes, this has been done to gain access to the STS-V fuel pump.

... From a thread on the STS-V side ...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/671961-06-07-sts-v-gm-safety.html
Here is a link to a map on where to cut the floor if you desire to check yourself. I dropped mine out the bottom but cut access in my wife's car. There is a piece of generic dynamat right over where you need to cut. I pulled this piece off, cut a access flap, checked it, then stuck it back down. It took about an hour. It sucks to have to do yourself, but if you want to know if you have a problem, it works. I cut my access flap about an inch bigger than the pic.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/201627-fuel-leak-fuel-pump-melting-smoking.html#post2267320
While that thread is for the CTS-V it lines up well enough to be used for the STS / STS-V.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
165 Posts
Where are you located?

I have an '05 STS 1SF V8 in great condition with just 60K miles on it and no significant issues, will be selling soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts