Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS White Diamond F55, L37 w/Nav
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone......... I am looking to buy a 2001 Seville STS with 75,000 miles on it. Dark green. I have never owned a Cadillac, always have been a Buick owner. I think I am going to make the switch. Anyways..............
What should I be aware of? Is this a good model? What engine #code is this model? What am I getting myself into? How long do these cars last and how long does the Northstar last. What is this model worth? 4k, 5k, 6k, 10k?
So many questions........
What is the first thing I should check on this model to be safe in years to come.

Thanks....
Erik

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Pull engine trouble codes, sticky on the top of the page on how to do that, write them all down and post them back here. RPO codes tell you what factory option the car had, they're on a sticker on the bottom side of the spare tire cover, the link to decode them is in a sticky on the top of the page as well(I believe). Post those when you post trouble codes. Find a dealership your friends with and have them run the VIN thru the VIS system, it'll tell you what factory service work and recalls its had, very useful info when looking at cars. Coolant change on these should be done every 2 or 3 years(its extremely easy, don't risk it). If it hasn't been done recently do it if you buy it, and a change, NOT A FLUSH. Heated seat elements tend to go out, a nature of the beast....lots of posts on how to fix or replace it, whichever you prefer. When you test drive it spend a fair amount of time between 60 and 70 mph to see if you can feel a shake/shimmy/vibration in the front end, and if so how bad is it. There isn't a magic fix for this if you have it.....lots of possible culprits but nothing that is guaranteed to fix it. Open it up and use the Northstar like its designed on a test drive...temp gauge should stay straight up when worked hard. Thats the big ones for that, but pull codes, RPO's and post some pics back and I'm sure more people will help ya out, and welcome!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
The STS is a VIN 9 (300 HP with a 3.71 final drive). Pre 2000 Northstars (particularly 97-99) gad head gasket problems. Head bolts where lengthened in 2000 and the problem has drastically lessened. Be sure that the coolant has been changed at least once and then change it every 5 yrs or sooner. There are people here with over 300K on the engine.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,510 Posts
:sneaky:.......The STS is a VIN 9 (300 hp/3.71 final drive). Freudian slip..........:lildevil:

Erik, The drivetrain package is identified by the 8th character in the VIN (driver's windshield/dashboard cutout). The PCM speed limiter rating of the car is set by the tire rating on the driver's door sticker: S = 112 mph, H = 130 mph, and W/Z = 150 ++.

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
Freudian slip
:hmm: I'm not usually that dense Sub, but I'm not seeing it.

Oops. :hide: I see the mistake though. Will correct it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for all your replies....... I am learning more and more.
$5,500 for a 2001 Seville STS........... is this OK?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the first thing that goes on these cars................ ??

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
HG's usually between 60k-100k miles for the most part, vacuum leaks from motor, suspensions at 100k miles, electrical gremlins always seem to haunt these cars at any mileage, wheel hubs, tie rods, vibrations at higher speeds. I mean the list of things that can go wrong on these cars is long enough to fill up a telephone book. I'd sit down for a night or two and research the forums to make sure you get familiar with what you might be getting into. They are great vehicles, but quite annoying and sometimes expensive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HG's....? :confused:Im sorry, what is that? Your scaring me to want too purchase this vehicle. OH boy.........!!:eek:

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Headgaskets, which are a problem when it comes to Northstar Cadillac's. Do some research here on the forum and you'll see how big of an issue it is. If the car was well maintained and had regular coolant changes you should be fine. The ones on my STS failed at 54k miles and were replaced, along with timeserting.

GM redesigned the N* in 2000 to help prevent the headgaskets for going and while it is much better than the '97-'99's were, there are still a possibility of them going. You also have to remember when researching, most of the people on these forums are simply here asking questions. The real world number of failures... who knows? Get a service history for the car from a GM dealership to see what was done to the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also this STS has a Gold Package. What is a Gold Package for a 2001 Seville STS?

Erik

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
I think that means that the Cadillac emblems are gold plated or anodized.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts