Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go to the drag strip this week and wanted to know if there are any weight reduction tips the board could suggest to get this 4600 lb pig (with driver) down to a managable weight. (And don't suggest a diet, you will sound too much like my wife)

I have considered the spare tire, jack, passanger seat but was wondering if there was anything else that wouldn't deminish the value of the car.

I WANT TO GET INTO THE 10 SECOND CLUB and think that I am close. I will be using Jesse's max tune this time instead of the minimum tune and will be lowering the tire pressure. The minimum tune produces an 11.4 at 122. I need just 4.5 tenths of a second and 4mph.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Rims and tires are about the most you will get for weight without major changes.

The rear seat is only a few lbs, Besides electronics, and wiring, the shell is pretty empty.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesse

Is there a better engine tune that you can send out if I use 110 racing fuel or is your max tune the best choice?

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V / 2015 Porsche Cayenne
725 Posts
I decided to go to the drag strip this week and wanted to know if there are any weight reduction tips the board could suggest to get this 4600 lb pig (with driver) down to a managable weight. (And don't suggest a diet, you will sound too much like my wife)

I have considered the spare tire, jack, passanger seat but was wondering if there was anything else that wouldn't deminish the value of the car.

I WANT TO GET INTO THE 10 SECOND CLUB and think that I am close. I will be using Jesse's max tune this time instead of the minimum tune and will be lowering the tire pressure. The minimum tune produces an 11.4 at 122. I need just 4.5 tenths of a second and 4mph.

Your going to need a significant gain in your 60 ft times to get a 10 second run, losing 100 lbs is a tenth gained supposedly so pretty tough to drop that much weight to make up 4/10 second to get your 10 second pass. If your car could pull off an 1.5-1.6 second 60 foot then you would have a great opportunity to get it into the tens, good luck, have fun, keep us posted...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood
388 Posts
You bought the wrong car for that. It's a luxury car, first and foremost. With luxury comes weight. The CTS-V's performance is secondary to the luxury mission. If you want to go fast in a straight line, you could have saved yourself a lot of money, weight, and trouble, and just bought a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.

I see people stripping out the interiors of their CTS-V's, and I'm like WTF?!? :confused:

So, to answer your question, the easiest and most significant weight savings will come from ripping out the interior. You can save 400 lbs. if you get rid of all the seats, carpeting, interior panels, insulation, sound deadening material, stereo equipment, etc. It's your car, but I think you would be crazy to do it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
A 10.99 is a world away from an 11.49. IMO, without "real" tires you don't really have a realistic shot at a 10 second slip, especially with a 122 mph trap speed. Add in the fact that the weather will be worse this weekend than the last time you ran and the task gets harder. Unless you added some mods since you last ran, you're gonna need a miracle or timing error to see a 10.9x, but I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, did GLD give you a hard time when you ran your 11.4? They've been a real PITA with sub 11.50 runs the last two years on anything but an RSD night.

P.S. - personally I wouldn't start gutting the car for weight reduction (maybe if you had a bunch of 11.0 slips). Removing the seats is for Honda or Mazda guys, not CTS-V's. :helpless: And to my knowledge, there's no spare or jack, just an inflator back there.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What, THERE IS NO SPARE TIRE, A $70,000 CAR AND NO SPARE! I thought this was a Cadillac! My grandfather would never buy a Cadillac w/o a spare tire. Then again he would never drive a 700hp Caddy.

I know that .5 second improvement seems like a lot but from the feel of the car there seemed to be so much more potential even w/o stripping the car like those import rice rockets.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Eat smaller, balanced meals throughout the day, lift weights and get a half-hour of cardio at least three times a week each.

Unfortunately, the heaviest parts of the car are the very bits you need to go fast and stop: the engine, the tranny, and the brakes. If you have Recaros, you could probably save some significant weight by ripping them out along with the back seat and installing a single carbon fiber shelled racing bucket. If you have a sunroof, remove it and fill in with plexiglas...and so on...

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
966 Posts
For what it is worth gnxs and snuzuloz have pretty well nailed it. Quite simply you are going to need more power (more mods) and more tire (it's just not going to happen with your PS2's)!
Unfortunately that's the reality.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
GNXS knows what he is talking about along with the prior posters. You'll need more than weight reduction to get in the 10s

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
144 Posts
I have never dragged so please excuse my ignorance here.

The only mod I have (had) is a CAI and I can not put down all the power without spinning the wheels. wouldn't reducing weight just make that problem worse?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
hennesey 700 hp got 11.07
Vett Doctors 810 hp got 10.32.

I believe both were running DRs

So if you break 11 that would be some serious driving plus an act of god.

Anyway, I wish you luck and keep us posted. Enjoy reading the thread! :)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You bought the wrong car for that. It's a luxury car, first and foremost. With luxury comes weight. The CTS-V's performance is secondary to the luxury mission. If you want to go fast in a straight line, you could have saved yourself a lot of money, weight, and trouble, and just bought a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.

I see people stripping out the interiors of their CTS-V's, and I'm like WTF?!? :confused:
Isnt it at all possible that the OP wants a lightweight CTS-V? Why is the idea of a lightweight V so baffling? Personally, Id rather a somewhat fast stripped CTS-V versus an extremely fast Camaro of any style or flavor. ID rather have a 3800lb V then a 3000 lb Corvette even if the vette is a monster comparatively. Both of my present vehicles have no stereo or rear seats, etc. When I get the CoupeV, ill be doing the same and more. If Im not using the radio or any of the seats, why would it be so weird to remove them?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
hennesey 700 hp got 11.07
Vett Doctors 810 hp got 10.32.

I believe both were running DRs

So if you break 11 that would be some serious driving plus an act of god.

Anyway, I wish you luck and keep us posted. Enjoy reading the thread! :)
So wait4me 600+ RWHP mods + a 200 shot. Flare it out so you can run 375 DRs in back. D3 is flaring out a V1, check them out for that.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Isnt it at all possible that the OP wants a lightweight CTS-V? Why is the idea of a lightweight V so baffling? Personally, Id rather a somewhat fast stripped CTS-V versus an extremely fast Camaro of any style or flavor. ID rather have a 3800lb V then a 3000 lb Corvette even if the vette is a monster comparatively. Both of my present vehicles have no stereo or rear seats, etc. When I get the CoupeV, ill be doing the same and more. If Im not using the radio or any of the seats, why would it be so weird to remove them?
Are you serious? Your profile says you have a CTS and 540i Sport...are those the two cars that currently don't have back seats? To each their own...but you are in a very small minority of people who buy luxury/sport sedans and drive around with no rear seats and stereo systems.... :bonkers:

Tom

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
A gutted and stripped V would be badass. Do it. :D

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Are you serious? Your profile says you have a CTS and 540i Sport...are those the two cars that currently don't have back seats? To each their own...but you are in a very small minority of people who buy luxury/sport sedans and drive around with no rear seats and stereo systems.... :bonkers:

Tom
Yessum, those are the 2 cars. I realize Im in the minority here. The problem is this...Cadillac doesnt make a proper 2 seater. That is what I really want. I dont want a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Vette or a Camaro or a Mustang GT500 of any level. I want a lightweight 2 door 2 seater Cadillac with the present design language and an LSA (or an LS9...Id settle for that;)). Id rather gut a V then to drive something else. You guys might say that the V is about luxury first, but remember most of the what makes the V special compared to the V6 is performance bits.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts